Gophers Open Weekend With 5-2 Win Over Spartans

Reaction score
Coming into the weekend against a struggling Michigan State squad, the Gophers looked to gain some conference momentum at home. Scoring just 21 seconds into Friday’s contest ignited the Maroon and Gold to a 5-2 victory to open the series.

Quick Start

Twenty-one seconds into the first, Connor Reilly made a perfect pass to Justin Kloos who buried the game’s first goal.

“You couldn’t start the game any better, scoring the first shift like that,” said Don Lucia. “I thought we had the puck a lot…It was just a good solid win for us.”

Killing It

The Gophers were a bit penalty prone on Friday, allowing the Spartans five powerplay opportunities. Fortunately, Minnesota killed off all five, extending their PK streak to 15 straight.

“We’re being a little more aggressive,” said Hudson Fasching. “Off the draws, a lot of pressure. We had a tough game in St. Cloud. We gave up six powerplay goals that weekend. After that, we’ve really been harping on penalty kill.”

The aggressive PK has been working wonders for the Gophers.

“Mike [Guentzel] does a great job with that,” said Lucia. “He’s worked really hard with the group. We seem to be a little bit more aggressive, we were a little tentative there for awhile.”

Leaders Excel

With almost a complete lack of senior leadership, the junior class are the leaders of this Minnesota team. On Friday, the captains responded, scoring four of the Gophers’ five goals. Alternate captain Hudson Fasching scored two goals while his fellow alternate, Jake Bischoff, scored another.

“Those are the guys; we need them scoring,” said Lucia. “Like every team, you have three or four key guys that have to score. You look at the game, Fasching scored and Kloos scored, Bischoff scored…Guys that we’re looking for offense from delivered tonight.”

After a slow start, the Gophers’ leader, Justin Kloos, has gotten back to his scoring ways.

“He’s the heart of our team and our captain,” said Leon Bristedt of Kloos. “There’s a lot of pressure on him. I’m really happy to see him scoring. We need our top three lines to produce and I think Kloos did a very good job of that today.”

Three Stars

3 – Jake Bischoff tallied a goal and blocked two shots.

2 – Leon Bristedt added three helpers on the night.

1 – Hudson Fasching scored two goals to put the game out of reach.

By The Numbers

4 Goals from Minnesota’s trio of captains, Kloos, Fasching, and Bischoff.

11 Shot differential through two periods as the Gophers dominated the Spartans to take a 3-0 lead into the final frame.

5 Tallies for the Gophers = Culver's for the crowd.

What’s Next

The Gophers will look to sweep the series tomorrow evening. Puck drop is set for 7:30 and can be seen on BTN.

A very nice win last night. Let's hope we get a stick salute!

I didn't think Seeler's hit was a penalty but I wasn't surprised it was called one. I was a bit surprised by the length of the referee's huddle-I suppose they were discussing whether there was an elbow to the head. Obviously, Lucia didn't agree with the call.

I didn't think Seeler's hit was a penalty but I wasn't surprised it was called one. I was a bit surprised by the length of the referee's huddle-I suppose they were discussing whether there was an elbow to the head. Obviously, Lucia didn't agree with the call.

I thought that was of the variety of "well, it looked big and painful, so we have to call something." Hate it when refs make a call like that, absolutely cowardly on their behalf.

I really want the sweep!!

Top Bottom