Sid: NFL to use Jerry Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

NFL to use Kill

Former Vikings center Matt Birk, now the NFL’s director of football development, said the league is going to take advantage of former Gophers coach Jerry Kill’s popularity and knowledge.

“Jerry Kill is a football guy, and he’s a football treasure,” said Birk when he was here Sunday. “We need to utilize him the best that we can as it comes to helping mentor and nurture a next generation of coaches and players. We need to tap into guys like that and help utilize their talents.”

Kill is doing a forum for the NFL for coaches in Florida this month.

Will the NFL use him more than once?

“Well, we’ll see how it goes the first time … no, I’m kidding, of course, we’ll use him more than once,” Birk said. “He’s a guy that you look back over the years and through coaching [and see] how many lives he’s touched. I talked to him on the phone the other day, had a nice long conversation, and he’s one of those guys that gets it.

“He understands it’s about a lot more than wins and losses. Football is about building relationships, building trust, and positively effecting young people’s lives. That’s what he did for so long. Just because he’s not able to coach doesn’t mean he can’t continue to do that.”

Why does Birk think Kill connects so well?

“I think he’s a player’s coach, but he’s a coach’s coach, too,” he said. “Guys respect him because of what he’s able to accomplish. His career and his résumé speak for itself. You say ‘Jerry Kill’ and instantly people respect him.”

http://www.startribune.com/zimmer-sparano-have-long-coaching-history/365227041/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom