WBB: Bryanna Fernstrom Transfers to Minnesota

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011316aah.html

As rumored:

Former Chisago Lakes High School standout Bryanna Fernstrom has returned to Minnesota to join the Gopher women’s basketball team, head coach Marlene Stollings announced today. The center is a mid-year transfer from Iowa State and will be eligible to play after the fall semester of 2016.

“Bryanna is an exceptional addition to our Gopher program,” Stollings said. “She brings in-depth experience from playing in the Big 12, starting the majority of her young career. Bryanna has recorded big games including 15 points against Duke this season. She is a very talented defender with the ability to block and alter shots, and she has shown the ability to score with her touch on the offensive end. We are ecstatic to bring another Minnesotan home to play in front of the best fans in the country.”

Fernstrom started 12 of 15 games for the Cyclones this season, averaging 9.1 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. She also had a team-high 34 blocks during Iowa State’s 11-4 start to the season. Fernstrom is 10th on the Cyclones’ career blocks list with 70 at the time of her departure.

Big loss for the Cyclones. One of my favorites on the team. No idea why the sudden transfer. She had a double-double in her last Big 12 game. She's been inconsistent but has had some really good games including setting the ISU single game blocks record of 9 this season against N. Ariz. Tied for second in conference play for blocks this season in Big 12. Could probably be stronger with the ball under the hoop and rebounding and never shot the % from three that I think she had in high school. But, all and all, a really good player who started 25 games as a freshman. I am pretty sad she left but if she had to go somewhere, for whatever reason, kinda okay she ended here.

CYU5NLaUMAE3DaN.jpg

ISUnorth thanks for the scout. With Stollings things seem to happen at the semester break. Last year we had three players transfer out and one transfer in.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29381306/gophers-get-quality-center-bryanna-fernstrom-but-not

Gophers women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings hasn't found a center she can rely on consistently this season.

Stollings probably will have to wait until next year to find a replacement for All-American Amanda Zahui B.

That player could be Bryanna Fernstrom, a former Pioneer Press high school player of the year at Chisago Lakes, who transferred to Minnesota from Iowa State, the Gophers announced Wednesday.

I didn't think much of Devoe Joseph when he quit on his team in the middle of the season. Don't think much of her character for doing basically the same thing--especially since she was replaced as a started in a recent game.

Get the feeling Stollings the kind of a coach who'll have a hodge-podge roster every season. Not sure that's conducive to winning basketball.

Josie Buckingham hasn't developed as a post player ( Borton recruit) Edwards and Lemeke have improved , but don't have the length. This is a good get.

Get the feeling Stollings the kind of a coach who'll have a hodge-podge roster every season. Not sure that's conducive to winning basketball.

Worked for Hoiberg! Normally I'd agree with you, but if you have enough talent and the right coach it can work.

Worked for Hoiberg! Normally I'd agree with you, but if you have enough talent and the right coach it can work.

Excellent point.

If she produces like The Mayor did in Ames that would be fantastic, however, am skeptical that'll be the case.

I assume it’s difficult to build Minnesota prep connections if you don’t begin by picking up some its best players (Bell (who originally committed to Minnesota), Fernstrom and Starr) on the rebound.

Why is it that wbb centers can't jump? Most every rebound they are standing flat footed..

Time to raid the youth women's volleyball courts. Some of the vb player could be tremendous rebounders and shot blockers.

paige.attack.jpg

There playing the wrong sport I tell ya.

ISUnorth thanks for the scout. With Stollings things seem to happen at the semester break. Last year we had three players transfer out and one transfer in.

"Scout" might be generous! I'm just a fan (MN resident/ISU alumni) who follows ISU WBB and has seen her play a lot the last year. I stream most of the ISU games on Cyclone.TV. I am no recruiting guru or great hoops X's and O's guy but I can say she is a legitimate P5 conference player. If she was eligible to play immediately the Gophers would be a better team tomorrow (IMHO).

I am sad and a little between disappointed and mad she left. Sad cause he lost a good player. A little mad cause ISU is 3-1 in conference play and this hurts the team quit a bit. I am tempering the "mad" because I have no insight as to why she transferred. I don't have a problem with young people moving if they are unhappy or even if they would just be happier somewhere else. Just wish she had waited till the end of the season.

I don't want to get too judgmental especially since she was one of my favs on the ISU team and I don't have a clue as to why she left. Never heard anything bad about her during her time at ISU. Pure speculation but I don't think she left over playing time or starting. Regardless of who was starting she was getting about the same minutes and they were working some lineups to see if they could play both posts in the game at the same time. Both got minutes and whoever was playing the best got the most on a given night or so it seemed to me. She didn't start her last game but got more minutes and had a double-double.

Oh, and beat Iowa!

Top Bottom