Wow: Kessel skating with Gopher team, could play this sesaon

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Grand Forks Herald:

Hockey star Amanda Kessel, who hasn't played a game since the 2014 Sochi Olympics because of concussion issues, has resumed skating with the University of Minnesota team and could possibly play this season, the Herald has learned.

This comes six months after her college career was thought to be finished.

In July, Gopher coach Brad Frost said that Kessel wouldn't be able to finish out her senior year because of persisting problems from a concussion that she sustained while playing for the U.S. National Team in December 2013. Kessel returned for the Sochi Games in February 2014, but hasn't played since.

Kessel was not enrolled in school last year.

But according to Herald sources, Kessel began skating with the Gophers in December. She is currently enrolled in school at Minnesota and has one semester of eligibility remaining.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/3922532-womens-hockey-kessel-skating-gopher-team

Go Gophers!!

That would be awesome. We'd be heavy, heavy favorites again if she were to play. Hope her head is okay though...

That would be awesome. We'd be heavy, heavy favorites again if she were to play. Hope her head is okay though...

Hopefully emotions won't get the best of her. Would like to see her play though if healthy.

Anyone close to the team, please keep us updated on this situation. Would love to see her playing for the Gophers again, mostly because it would be nice to know she can simply play again. Olympics are coming up, USA needs her.

per the U:

Two-time All-American and 2013 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Award winner Amanda Kessel has officially returned to the Golden Gopher women’s hockey team for the remainder of the 2015-16 season, University of Minnesota women’s hockey head coach Brad Frost announced today.

Kessel last played for the Gophers during the 2012-13 season, during which Minnesota recorded a perfect 41-0-0 mark and won its fifth national title. The Madison, Wis., native took a redshirt year in 2013-14 to represent the United States at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia. Kessel then missed the 2014-15 season while recovering from a concussion. The 2015-16 season marks her final year of eligibility.

“We're excited to have Amanda returning to the lineup," Frost said. "Her recovery and overall health have always been most important, and we weren't sure if she would have the opportunity to play college hockey again. Knowing that Amanda and the team of doctors working with her have determined she is healthy and ready to resume playing is certainly great news. She has always been a part of our program, and we're happy she has a chance to finish out her college career on the ice along with completing her coursework and getting her degree this spring.”

“I’m so happy to be playing hockey again,” Kessel said. “I’m not suffering from any concussion symptoms, and I’ve been evaluated by a number of physicians who have cleared me to play. I feel great, and I'm looking forward to being back on the ice with my teammates on game day.

“Sometimes difficult things happen in life, and they only make you stronger. It was extremely challenging, but I did everything I could to get healthy. I’m grateful for everyone who helped and supported me throughout the difficult times. I wouldn't be in this position without them. I cannot wait to be back out there doing what I love to do while representing the University of Minnesota.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-hockey/spec-rel/020316aac.html

Go Gophers!!

That is big, especially with 2 vs the Badgers coming up on 2/19 & 2/20.

Its huge. Should make us favorites again to win the title. I assume she won't have that much rust. I'm all for late season additions when that becomes your best player. Well, I like when we do it...

Its huge. Should make us favorites again to win the title. I assume she won't have that much rust. I'm all for late season additions when that becomes your best player. Well, I like when we do it...

3 weeks of practice should take off some rust. The question is can she go game speed right away?

My guess is that Frost will try to bring AK into the lineup only in ways that will help the team. I mean, the team has done pretty well without AK, so no need to bring her into the action in a way that would bring about a negative impact, if that is possible? My guess is that all of the Gopher players are very pleased that AK is back and that there will not be any issues such as jealousy or resentment concerning loss of playing time, etc.. Team chemistry could be a possible issue, but Coaches often shake up lineups to try to find better matchups and this isn't a team that has won every game or dominated every game they've won, so I'm guessing that Frost will feel AK can contribute and can make the team better, but I also bet that he'll be looking at the long term goal of winning a Natl Title, vs worrying about winning in the short term. With as well as this program has done, does anyone care if this team doesn't win the WCHA Title, if they do go on to win the Natl Title?

I guess what I am thinking is Frost may be willing to lose a game or two during the regular season to try to make sure AK gets plenty of ice time to gel with her teammates and develop enough chemistry so that by the time the NCAA tourney comes around, the team is better because of AK being on the ice as much as she can be.

But I am no expert, and I'm just extremely pleased that Amanda is back to playing hockey. The fact she is playing for our Gophs and could possibly make a big positive impact is just a bonus. I'm going to do all that I can to get to a game to see her live before the season is over.

Top Bottom