Michigan considering spending portion of spring practice in Florida

BleedGopher

Reaction score
If approved, here comes the "spring training" portion of the arms race for spring practices. It will be a game of "can you top this" for spring practice locales and the cost will be huge to move that many players for a week, and only the big boys will be able to pull this off:

per MLive.com:

Jim Harbaugh's got another idea.

We'll see if he's allowed to do it.

A source with knowledge of the situation told MLive on Sunday that the Michigan football program is considering an attempt to spend a portion of its upcoming spring practice session in the state of Florida.

The news was first reported Sunday by The Wolverine, who reported that Harbaugh will potentially try to have the team spend one week of its practice session at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.

A venture like this would obviously have to be cleared by Michigan's compliance department, the Big Ten and the NCAA. And, at this point, nothing has been made official from anyone at Michigan.

Spending more time in the state of Florida would, presumably, only help Harbaugh's ongoing recruiting efforts inside the state.

At the moment, Michigan has five commitments in its 2016 class from the state of Florida.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/ind...considering_idea_of_s.html#incart_river_index

Go Gophers!!

My guess is the NCAA will crack down on this.

I would like to think that the only way something like this would be permissible by the NCAA would be if the week was taken during the schools spring break....I would like to think that but since we all know the "student" part of student athlete has become less and less important over the years it won't shock me if they are allowed to pull players out of class for an entire week to do this.

Agreed, partnering w/ a hs for something like this would likely be an infraction.

I think even beyond that, how will it be paid for? Booster money? If the NCAA has any scruples, it's going to recognize the differences in resources that exist in college football and put the kabosh on stuff like this.

http://footballscoop.com/news/harba...ing-ncaa-loophole-to-work-camps-in-al-and-tx/

Sort of a going nuclear version of the out of state camp controversy from the last two years.

Remember last May when James Franklin took his staff down to Florida and Georgia to work high school football camps, exposing an NCAA loophole in an effort to expand their recruiting footprint to the fertile southern states known for churning out top notch college football players?

Well Jim Harbaugh is following suit, taking his Michigan staff down to Alabama for a day camp at Prattville HS, followed five days later with a camp just outside of Dallas at Grand Prairie HS.

is this that much different than the swim teams training in Hawaii every christmas break?

is this that much different than the swim teams training in Hawaii every christmas break?

+1

If spring practice coincides with spring break, and the program has the $$$$, why not bring the team somewhere.

+1

If spring practice coincides with spring break, and the program has the $$$$, why not bring the team somewhere.

As long as it falls over break I don't see a major issue with doing something like this, if it involves removing kids from school for a week out of season I would really hope the NCAA would step in.

Didn't Brewster do a spring or fall camp at St. John's one year?

My guess is they wouldn't be able to practice on a High School field.

Didn't Brewster do a spring or fall camp at St. John's one year?

He did one week of fall camp at St. John's his first year and it was before classes started so there was no school conflict involved.

The B1G should say no. CFB does not need any more escalation in spending.
To be honest I have always wondered about the money the BB and SftBall teams spend on winter trips for non-revenue sports.

I'm guessing if the majority of helmet schools want it, the ncaa will allow it. It will be justified using some bullsh!t argument like the cost to provide a full scholarship.

No way this will ever fly to hold spring camps at high schools. Especially at a school like IMG where there will always be multiple D1 recruits every year.

Top Bottom