ESPN: Who should be the Big Ten favorite in 2016?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Two reporters pick Ohio State, two pick Michigan:

Brian Bennett: Michigan

I don't want to doubt Urban Meyer or disrespect Michigan State (though the Spartans probably would like that). But both teams lose a lot of invaluable pieces. Meanwhile, the Wolverines bring back the nucleus of a 10-win team and should only get better in Year 2 under Jim Harbaugh, as his teams historically have. They have to go to Columbus and East Lansing in 2016, which complicates matters. And they have to find a suitable replacement for Jake Rudock at quarterback. But I like the direction in which this team is trending and its returning experience, including standouts like Jabrill Peppers, Jake Butt and Jourdan Lewis. Michigan is perfectly positioned to make a big move next season.

Austin Ward: Ohio State

There will be plenty of new faces contributing for Ohio State next season, but the two guys most responsible for keeping the program in position to win a conference or national title are the same. As long as Meyer is on the sideline and J.T. Barrett is taking the snaps, the Buckeyes are going to be just fine -- and nothing is more valuable in projecting a contender than the combination of elite coaching and quarterback play. Obviously replacing the volume of starters that Ohio State will have lost to this offseason will be a challenge, but Meyer has been recruiting at such a high level since he arrived on campus that it’s much more likely he’ll be reloading than rebuilding despite all the attrition. And with Barrett regaining his Heisman Trophy-type form at the end of 2015, the redshirt junior should be able to cover up for any early growing pains at the skill positions with his dual-threat ability as experience develops around him. There’s already a 2014 feel developing around Meyer’s next team, and by the time conference play starts, he and Barrett will be leading the Big Ten favorites.

Jesse Temple: Ohio State

It's difficult to pick against Ohio State despite all the attrition. Of the teams that finished in the top five in the Big Ten East this season -- Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Indiana -- only the Buckeyes return their starting quarterback. J.T. Barrett has the talent to make everybody around him better, and it's not like Meyer doesn't have plenty of skill remaining. Barrett, guard Pat Elflein and linebacker Raekwon McMillan -- all of whom were named team captains for 2016 -- will be the centerpieces. Players like Bri'onte Dunn, Curtis Samuel and Noah Brown could emerge as major contributors on offense. And let's not forget Meyer is an insane 50-4 in four seasons in Columbus, including 31-1 in Big Ten regular-season games. It is hard to bet against those numbers.

Josh Moyer: Michigan

Let's forget about the Buckeyes and their nine declaring underclassmen for just a moment. The Wolverines are still returning eight offensive starters and seven -- maybe eight, if Willie Henry decides to hang around -- defensive starters. And there's more talent here than they get credit for. Next season, who's the East's most-talented cornerback? Jourdan Lewis. Best tight end? Jake Butt. Best safety? Jabrill Peppers. Michigan returns seven All-B1G players in all, which is more than twice that of the Buckeyes. On top of that, Jim Harbaugh doubled the 2014 squad's win total this past season, was just a single play away from beating Michigan State and absolutely demolished Florida, 41-7, in the Citrus Bowl. With so much talent returning, it's no stretch to think Harbaugh can do a whole lot more in Year 2.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...le-who-should-be-the-big-ten-favorite-in-2016

Go Gophers!!

Sadly, I think it has to be Michigan. Year 2 of Harbaugh, Ohio State loses a ton of talent, Michigan State loses Cook...

I'd go with Ohio State because of Barrett, and because Michigan has to play both OSU & MSU as well as Iowa on the road. Michigan and MSU right there with the Buckeyes but as others have mentioned QB a big question mark for both.

I pick Michigan. I was skeptical at the beginning of the season, but Harbaugh does seem to be a great coach for Michigan. He will bring them back to their glory days. My only hope is that we win the west (with a few trophies back where they belong), and play them in the championship. Playing for two trophies would be fun.

I really wish there was enough time to play every team in the big ten every year. Being at the Michigan Game was one of the funnest games I've been to, even though we lost. I foresee this rivalry heating up in the next few years if Harbaugh stays the path, and TC gets this team back to forward progress.

Wilton Speight, Tyler O'Connor, or JT Barrett? I'll stick with Barrett and Ohio State. They have enough talent to reload at the other positions.

it should be OSU every year until someone really knocks them off, and I don't mean a flukey kind of game. I think most people would say OSU was the best team this past year. I know they lost to MSU at home, and that's all that matters. But in terms of predictions, they are the top of the class.

If I had to pick the standings today
East West
OSU Iowa
MSU Nebraska
Michigan Minnesota
PSU NW
IU Wisconsin
Rutgers Illinois
Maryland Purdue
1-5 in the west is a crapshoot, I think 7-2 can win this division. Wisconsin's not a bad team, will be underdogs, but those crossover games are murderers row and it doesn't help that they play those teams right out of the gate, plus LSU to open the season. We should benefit from a crappy schedule, we get Iowa and NW at home, two most diffuicult games are @ Nebraska and @Wisconsin

If I had to pick the standings today
East West
OSU Iowa
MSU Nebraska
Michigan Minnesota
PSU NW
IU Wisconsin
Rutgers Illinois
Maryland Purdue
1-5 in the west is a crapshoot, I think 7-2 can win this division. Wisconsin's not a bad team, will be underdogs, but those crossover games are murderers row and it doesn't help that they play those teams right out of the gate, plus LSU to open the season. We should benefit from a crappy schedule, we get Iowa and NW at home, two most diffuicult games are @ Nebraska and @Wisconsin
Wow 5th? That could be the silliest thing I have seen today. Wisconsin could loose all three to the east but win all six against the west.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

it should be OSU every year until someone really knocks them off, and I don't mean a flukey kind of game. I think most people would say OSU was the best team this past year. I know they lost to MSU at home, and that's all that matters. But in terms of predictions, they are the top of the class.

Nothing flukey about it. MSU beat them with their back-up QBs, in Columbus. Completely stuffed Zeke Elliott. Both OSU scoring drives were short fields, 10 plays for 32 yards, and 1 play for 6 yards (after a muffed punt).

3rd time MSU has beaten OSU in 5 years (2011 was pre-Urban), twice in Columbus, and once on a neutral field. Who else from the Big Ten has beaten OSU, post Urban Meyer?

Wow 5th? That could be the silliest thing I have seen today. Wisconsin could loose all three to the east but win all six against the west.

They could also lose all three against the east and go 4-2 against the west. I think they will finish higher but with their schedule I don't think his prediction was that silly either.

Mark it! Wisconsin won't finish in 5th or behind Minnesota

Nothing flukey about it. MSU beat them with their back-up QBs, in Columbus. Completely stuffed Zeke Elliott. 3rd time MSU has beaten OSU in 5 years (2011 was pre-Urban), twice in Columbus, and once on a neutral field. Who else from the Big Ten has beaten OSU, post Urban Meyer?
I think it could come down if Michigan can find a qb.

They could also lose all three against the east and go 4-2 against the west. I think they will finish higher but with their schedule I don't think his prediction was that silly either.
Typing and working out sorry

Wisconsin finishes in in the bottom half of the big ten west. This is where their revolving door of coaches and mediocre recruiting classes and budget cuts catch up with them.

Wisconsin finishes in in the bottom half of the big ten west. This is where their revolving door of coaches and mediocre recruiting classes and budget cuts catch up with them.

they've always had mediocre recruiting classes.

Why can't anyone see its Michigan State. They are more than Connor Cook. They are the defending Big 10 Champions. I will take the Spartans.

Why can't anyone see its Michigan State. They are more than Connor Cook. They are the defending Big 10 Champions. I will take the Spartans.

Definitely enough talent to do it. Defense will be better IMO. On offense O'Connor/Terry QB battle winner will have to be more the game-manager type. The key will be the OL. Lose a couple animals in Jack Allen and Jack Conklin. Huge holes to fill there. They need to because the running backs are plenty good enough to put up numbers, especially LJ Scott.

Two reporters pick Ohio State, two pick Michigan:

Brian Bennett: Michigan

I don't want to doubt Urban Meyer or disrespect Michigan State (though the Spartans probably would like that). But both teams lose a lot of invaluable pieces. Meanwhile, the Wolverines bring back the nucleus of a 10-win team and should only get better in Year 2 under Jim Harbaugh, as his teams historically have. They have to go to Columbus and East Lansing in 2016, which complicates matters. And they have to find a suitable replacement for Jake Rudock at quarterback. But I like the direction in which this team is trending and its returning experience, including standouts like Jabrill Peppers, Jake Butt and Jourdan Lewis. Michigan is perfectly positioned to make a big move next season.

Austin Ward: Ohio State

There will be plenty of new faces contributing for Ohio State next season, but the two guys most responsible for keeping the program in position to win a conference or national title are the same. As long as Meyer is on the sideline and J.T. Barrett is taking the snaps, the Buckeyes are going to be just fine -- and nothing is more valuable in projecting a contender than the combination of elite coaching and quarterback play. Obviously replacing the volume of starters that Ohio State will have lost to this offseason will be a challenge, but Meyer has been recruiting at such a high level since he arrived on campus that it’s much more likely he’ll be reloading than rebuilding despite all the attrition. And with Barrett regaining his Heisman Trophy-type form at the end of 2015, the redshirt junior should be able to cover up for any early growing pains at the skill positions with his dual-threat ability as experience develops around him. There’s already a 2014 feel developing around Meyer’s next team, and by the time conference play starts, he and Barrett will be leading the Big Ten favorites.

Jesse Temple: Ohio State

It's difficult to pick against Ohio State despite all the attrition. Of the teams that finished in the top five in the Big Ten East this season -- Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and Indiana -- only the Buckeyes return their starting quarterback. J.T. Barrett has the talent to make everybody around him better, and it's not like Meyer doesn't have plenty of skill remaining. Barrett, guard Pat Elflein and linebacker Raekwon McMillan -- all of whom were named team captains for 2016 -- will be the centerpieces. Players like Bri'onte Dunn, Curtis Samuel and Noah Brown could emerge as major contributors on offense. And let's not forget Meyer is an insane 50-4 in four seasons in Columbus, including 31-1 in Big Ten regular-season games. It is hard to bet against those numbers.

Josh Moyer: Michigan

Let's forget about the Buckeyes and their nine declaring underclassmen for just a moment. The Wolverines are still returning eight offensive starters and seven -- maybe eight, if Willie Henry decides to hang around -- defensive starters. And there's more talent here than they get credit for. Next season, who's the East's most-talented cornerback? Jourdan Lewis. Best tight end? Jake Butt. Best safety? Jabrill Peppers. Michigan returns seven All-B1G players in all, which is more than twice that of the Buckeyes. On top of that, Jim Harbaugh doubled the 2014 squad's win total this past season, was just a single play away from beating Michigan State and absolutely demolished Florida, 41-7, in the Citrus Bowl. With so much talent returning, it's no stretch to think Harbaugh can do a whole lot more in Year 2.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...le-who-should-be-the-big-ten-favorite-in-2016

Go Gophers!!

I like Purdue!

Add the disrespect they get from the media, it only plays into the program.

Yho, Brian and Josh a little video reminder

Top Bottom