PiPress: Coaching change shakes up recruiting class

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Since Tracy Claeys officially succeeded Jerry Kill as the Gophers' head coach in November, Minnesota has parted ways with eight recruits and added seven new ones, including four-star quarterback Seth Green, a former Oregon commit who played at East Ridge before finishing high school in Dallas.

"I think a lot of the changes in the class certainly have to do with the coaching change," Trieu said. "Even though Coach Claeys was already on staff, he has taken over the head coaching job, and he has wanted to bring in some of his players."

The Gophers currently have 18 verbal commitments, with expectations of increasing to somewhere in the mid-20s before national signing day Feb. 3.

"I think the class is still going to round itself out," Trieu said.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ll-coaching-change-shakes-up-recruiting-class

Go Gophers!!

PP: Coaching change shakes up recruiting class

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...ll-coaching-change-shakes-up-recruiting-class

Some changes were to be expected with the hiring of TC. However, I seem to recall when TC was campaigning for the job that it was important to hurry up and hire him to preserve the current recruiting class. If we haven't already crossed this threshold, I'd say if we lose anymore recruits that the recruiting class will not have been preserved. Not that we will ever know, but are the replacements an upgrade? Would have a different coach pereserved anymore or less "Kill" commits?

Keep in mind that some of those recruits departed on a mutual basis and I believe Battle wasn't able to enroll early as previously thought so they moved on from him as well.

Some changes were to be expected with the hiring of TC. However, I seem to recall when TC was campaigning for the job that it was important to hurry up and hire him to preserve the current recruiting class. If we haven't already crossed this threshold, I'd say if we lose anymore recruits that the recruiting class will not have been preserved. Not that we will ever know, but are the replacements an upgrade? Would have a different coach pereserved anymore or less "Kill" commits?

You are assuming that he meant "committed" recruits. I assumed he meant relationships aka recruiting. Claeys is a big boy (pun intended) and was going to put his stamp on this team. I expected he would make some coaching changes (glad he made what he did) and also bring in more of his guys. I think some of the losses were the normal "kids changing their minds" like the Daniels twins, and some were mutual partings and one was unexpected (Battle not graduating). In the end, if we can keep Snelson and finish strong this will be a better class thank Kill's last and a great foundation for Claeys IMO.

I thought keeping TC was continuity in a program that for once looked like an actual program.

I'm not sure when it comes to recruiting anything is certain.

I think TC was campaigning in order to get on with recruiting, so as not to be disadvantaged. He noted that there was a critical period coming shortly... (this was early to Mid Nov, so he could move on noting to recruits he'd be around.) I believe it was us fans, that added the preservation of current commits (while TC alluded to preserving relationships). Although, I am not 100%, I think the difference between relationships and commits is an important distinction.

I think TC was campaigning in order to get on with recruiting, so as not to be disadvantaged. He noted that there was a critical period coming shortly... (this was early to Mid Nov, so he could move on noting to recruits he'd be around.) I believe it was us fans, that added the preservation of current commits (while TC alluded to preserving relationships). Although, I am not 100%, I think the difference between relationships and commits is an important distinction.

You hit the key part in your first sentence. He was campaigning for the job and continuity was the one true leg he had to stand on. Of course then he promptly fired two coaches and we have seen a lot of turnover in recruiting so clearly continuity might not be as important as some were led to believe. Impossible to say how many of these recruiting changes would have happened even if Kill was still in charge but chances are some of them would have at the very least.

The one thing we can all be certain of is that Claeys will pull out all the stops in an effort to win right away because with his contract structure it will be very easy for a new AD that comes in from the outside (assuming that is how it all shakes out) to send him packing if he isn't getting the results the new person wants to see.

Based on redshirts burned etc. one can say Coach Kill pulled out most of the stops to win as well. He had no illusions about having 5-6 years to win. The difference is just what the two of them think will win now.
I think it is clear that Coach Claeys is more committed to a mobile QB who can disrupt defenses similar to Watson or Barrett, in concept anyway if not in talent, than Coach Kill or Limegrover were. Should be a fun offense to watch when these QBs grow up a little.

Based on redshirts burned etc. one can say Coach Kill pulled out most of the stops to win as well. He had no illusions about having 5-6 years to win. The difference is just what the two of them think will win now.
I think it is clear that Coach Claeys is more committed to a mobile QB who can disrupt defenses similar to Watson or Barrett, in concept anyway if not in talent, than Coach Kill or Limegrover were. Should be a fun offense to watch when these QBs grow up a little.

Based on what exactly? Kill recruited mobile QB's they just didn't pan out. Down the stretch of the season Claeys stuck with Leidner at QB and left the more mobile Croft on the bench. Kill/Limegrover both liked the QB run game so I really don't think it is a philosophy issue as much as a failure to recruit/develop the right guy. Hopefully Croft pans out and Green lives up to the hype.

Keep in mind that some of those recruits departed on a mutual basis and I believe Battle wasn't able to enroll early as previously thought so they moved on from him as well.

Until someone can show me a link with quotes from Claeys and recruits saying it was mutual, then I don't buy it, just because it was speculated here.

Until someone can show me a link with quotes from Claeys and recruits saying it was mutual, then I don't buy it, just because it was speculated here.

Read Foster's comments and tell me it wasn't mutual. Also, are you saying Poljan preferred TE to QB.

Based on what exactly? Kill recruited mobile QB's they just didn't pan out. Down the stretch of the season Claeys stuck with Leidner at QB and left the more mobile Croft on the bench. Kill/Limegrover both liked the QB run game so I really don't think it is a philosophy issue as much as a failure to recruit/develop the right guy. Hopefully Croft pans out and Green lives up to the hype.

^ Spot On

The Gophers need luck on their side to mount consecutive 8-10 win seasons.

This will define Claeys' coaching era in a big way. But, they need incredible luck on their side injury-wise and player development-wise.

Top Bottom