Sid: Kill said "nothing so far from the University of Minnesota" as far as job offer

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Sid: Kill said "nothing so far from the University of Minnesota" as far as job offer

per Sid:

At lunch Thursday, Kill said he will never be a head coach again, even though he has been approached about the possibility, but said he might consider being an assistant coach or doing something else involved with football.

Kill has had several offers from colleges for various positions, but nothing so far from the University of Minnesota — an institution that could make more use of the great public relations work and fundraising he did with local business people and the relationships he developed with high school officials and coaches all over the state.

Kill is not yet ready to accept any job offer, but he will have a lot of good options when he is.

http://www.startribune.com/kill-s-on-the-move-still-weighing-career-plans/364596531/

Go Gophers!!

I'm sure there are two sides to this story.

There are always two sides to the story. Many people just don't want to hear them.

Could not agree more. The fact that he doesn't have a job offer on the table from the U doesn't mean there have not been discussions on a possible role when he deems he is ready to work again. However if he decides he wants to go the coaching route and become an assistant I don't see any way it would work for him to do that at the U. I think the dynamic of working for his former DC just wouldn't work. Frankly for Kill's sake I hope he finds a way to be involved in football in a low stress capacity which in terms of coaching, even as an assistant, would mean going to a small school somewhere where they don't work the insane hours they do at the power 5 level.

How stressful is being a College Athletic Director? and more importantly, Can an Athletic Director help recruit?

It seems like the last guy had a little too much time on his hands!

How stressful is being a College Athletic Director? and more importantly, Can an Athletic Director help recruit?

It seems like the last guy had a little too much time on his hands!

At a major university, it's probably really stressful.

True, all the more so at one that doesn't exactly support sports very well.

per Sid:

At lunch Thursday, Kill said he will never be a head coach again, even though he has been approached about the possibility, but said he might consider being an assistant coach or doing something else involved with football.

Kill has had several offers from colleges for various positions, but nothing so far from the University of Minnesota — an institution that could make more use of the great public relations work and fundraising he did with local business people and the relationships he developed with high school officials and coaches all over the state.

Kill is not yet ready to accept any job offer, but he will have a lot of good options when he is.

http://www.startribune.com/kill-s-on-the-move-still-weighing-career-plans/364596531/

Go Gophers!!

I take this as the U and Kill have talked about a position at the U but the specific position has not yet been determined. I would like to see him in as Asst. AD position of some sort. I would love to see him have a connection to the football team but I don't think he or Claeys wants that.

Maybe they are waiting to hire an AD first. Maybe Kill doesn't want to listen to offers until they hire an AD. Who would take a job not knowing who their boss would be?

True, all the more so at one that doesn't exactly support sports very well.

Even more so a University were it's "fans" don't support sports very well.

Maybe they are waiting to hire an AD first. Maybe Kill doesn't want to listen to offers until they hire an AD. Who would take a job not knowing who their boss would be?

Kill will have another job before an AD is ever hired.

Not happening

Jerry Kill isn't likely to work for the Gophers in any consistent capacity. He sold his Minnesota house. He's living in Illinois. He was not exactly happy with Tracy for firing Limegrover and Z.
Seems pretty doubtful to me for lots of reasons he returns to the U of M to work, but anything is possible, I suppose.

Minnesota isn't big enough for Kill. He is now a nationally prominent personality who is back in Illinois where he raised his family and made his reputation. The U is just one of many opportunities he has to make a living and an impact on people. I doubt if we are going to see much more of him than any other state in America other than Illinois. He probably will come back to Minnesota once or twice a year as long as Tracy is still coaching the Gophers. When Claeys is gone Kill will be gone.

So they're talking.

I did not click on the link, but from the snippet provided there is nothing to indicate that the discussion was between Kill and Minnesota. "...he has been approached..." would mean that some institution has approached him and it is not necessarily The "U".

It sounds to me like he has had specific offers from other schools, but no offers -- specific or non-specific -- from Minnesota. I don't know how that could be, but I can read plenty between those lines.

Jerry Kill isn't likely to work for the Gophers in any consistent capacity. He sold his Minnesota house. He's living in Illinois. He was not exactly happy with Tracy for firing Limegrover and Z.
Seems pretty doubtful to me for lots of reasons he returns to the U of M to work, but anything is possible, I suppose.

Is there any evidence of this?

Minnesota isn't big enough for Kill. He is now a nationally prominent personality who is back in Illinois where he raised his family and made his reputation. The U is just one of many opportunities he has to make a living and an impact on people. I doubt if we are going to see much more of him than any other state in America other than Illinois. He probably will come back to Minnesota once or twice a year as long as Tracy is still coaching the Gophers. When Claeys is gone Kill will be gone.

wat?

Are former head coaches of MAC and Missouri Valley Football Conference teams that big a deal in Illinois?

I'm sure there are two sides to this story.

Could be as simple as they haven't gotten together formally to discuss things. Or they have and can't decide what Kill wants to do which would mean that there hasn't been any real "offer" because there isn't anything to offer yet.

Oh, and Hartmann is playing games with it because that's what he does. Though his days of being able to generate calls of outrage to the U are long gone. Or telegrams for that matter. :cool:

Would guess the U is waiting to have an AD to make Kill an offer so that the AD can decide what roles they would like to have Kill in. Makes no sense to make him an offer that a new AD may not like

Can't he just be hired for the Dan O'brien old role that was in the Athletic department before he became staff coach, AD in charge of Gopher football operations or something. or the position the Wooger had after he was done being the Hockey coach.

I think he has a guaranteed U position in his contract at $200,000 per year if he had to retire so there has to be something similar to that with less stress that would work.
I don't think they can just call it head coach emeritus position and pay him but I could be wrong. Either way what ever years he had left he still has that amount of years guaranteed at the much lower salary level. I think he has to maintain a job at the U to maintain the medical benefits through the U though.

The thing a lot seem to be glossing over is that it says right in the story that he is not ready to take a job anywhere. I have zero doubt that when he is ready IF he wants to come work at the U they will find him a role, my gut tells me he will probably end up finding something he can do in Illinois since that is more home to him than Minnesota is. This was really just a midweek filler piece by Sid, not sure it is something that needs a ton of analyzing.

Top Bottom