Zebrowski looks like a finalist for the HC job at UW-Eau Claire

Like Some Guy, I as well have been reading the comments of Ralph Wiggum for some time with amusement, and wondering if he was outraged for the last 25-50 years when John G's Saint Johns teams squashed MIAC opponents weekly by seven TDs..

No one really cared when St. Johns, a nice little story, won big, but when evil St. Thomas with their 10,000 students, and big dollar donors built hundreds of millions of dollars worth of new buildings, suddenly the perception changed.

The reality and perception are not in line. Carleton, Macalester, and Gustavus historically had the most wealth in the MIAC, by far. St. Johns has had very good facilities for a long time and has ol' Gags', in addition running innovative offensive passing offenses long before anyone else, was able to recruit high level old DII talent on par with St. Cloud, MSU, and the Dakota schools pre FCS. St. John's kicked the crap out of everyone for 25 years with superior talent and with 1975 Ohio State/ Alabama/ Texas like depth and no one cared.

Saint Thomas eventually evened the playing field in the early to mid 80's under Mark Dienhart. Dienhart had DII type players everywhere, and started to challenge St. John's again. St. Thomas had CBs and WR that could run 4.4/ 4.5 times, big linemen, and ran a college 5-2 defense that manhandled and beat up most MIAC teams. Those teams had short, heavy and mean inside LBs and athletes at DE and Safety, combined with fast CBs and big tackles that dominated. Mark Dienhart left coaching and St. Thomas became dormant again for 20 years.

Glen Caruso arrived, and Saint Thomas rose again. Caruso used the same plan as Mark Dienhart, he recruited DII and low level D1A talent and combined that with great coaching incredible depth. Gopher Coach Dan O'Brien could probably attest to much of this since he was a wood laying Safety for Coach Mark Dienthart back in the mid 80's. Dan might remember the game vs Carleton in 1985 when about 15 or so Carleton players had to be helped of the field after facing a very physical Saint Thomas team. Tracy Claeys would have really liked the way those mid 1980s St Thomas teams, coached by the late, great Jerry Miller, played (1986 Chicago Bears, Buddy Ryan 46 defense). D.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Dienhart

It was never all equal in D3, what kind of world have you been living in?

It was not all equal and then big bad st thomas built a facility. In fact, until the last 10 years St. Thomas was behind in athletics facilities, part of why they were not as successful. You think D3 is all equal? Have you ever been to Crown or Northwestern St. Paul compared to the MIAC schools?
Have you ever seen any of the facilities at the Wisconsin D3 schools?

You just assume for some reason that it was all supposed to be equal in terms of facilities, athletics budgets, and funding athletics....that is simply a straight up incorrect assumption.

Having a field house with 4 gyms and 1 turf football field on campus is not what it was supposed to be about? I don't even understand what you are talking about in facilities? You are saying D3 football should stop allowing schools to build gyms that are used more for recreational than athletic purposes? You are saying St. Thomas shouldn't turf its football field? You realize that half the metro high schools have better facilities that the UMAC conference right? There are a number of high schools in the metro who have better facilities than St. Thomas. It was never all equal and to suggest it is outs you as someone who doesn't know what he is talking about.

No, they didn't.
I played against those early 1980's Tommie teams, I assume he is talking about Jim Gustafson (wr) and Neal Guggemos (corner). Both were extremely athletic and both played in the NFL after their time at St. Thomas. I think Guggemos had a five year career.

I played against those early 1980's Tommie teams, I assume he is talking about Jim Gustafson (wr) and Neal Guggemos (corner). Both were extremely athletic and both played in the NFL after their time at St. Thomas. I think Guggemos had a five year career.

dpo gets a woody arguing 40 times. You could be commenting on the speed of Bama's skill position and his retort would be the same.

Talking about Alabama and St. Thomas in football is barely even on the same planet.

Not true. Given the size of Earth and more importantly the Universe, AL and StT are pretty close in proximity - quite easily on the same planet. I really hate it when you stretch the truth and use things that aren't literally facts.

Not true. Given the size of Earth and more importantly the Universe, AL and StT are pretty close in proximity - quite easily on the same planet. I really hate it when you stretch the truth and use things that aren't literally facts.
Well played

Still not convinced that it's okay for DIII schools to have the facilities some of them have like St. Thomas and St. John's. DIII was never meant to a facilities arms race. St. Thomas with 10,000 students and it's athletic budget should really be Division II or even FCS in FB.

There's no rhyme or reason for DIII sports to be that competitive and be about facilities and building dynasties. There should be a budget cap on DIII sports like in rotisserie baseball or like how they have caps in the pros. No reason DIII teams should be going to Florida in softball or baseball or golf or whatever sport. No reason for indoor practice facilities for FB in DIII and no reason for the weight rooms and training facilities. It's become a farce on what DIII sports was supposed to be.

Lap
Still not convinced that it's okay for DIII schools to have the facilities some of them have like St. Thomas and St. John's. DIII was never meant to a facilities arms race. St. Thomas with 10,000 students and it's athletic budget should really be Division II or even FCS in FB.

There's no rhyme or reason for DIII sports to be that competitive and be about facilities and building dynasties. There should be a budget cap on DIII sports like in rotisserie baseball or like how they have caps in the pros. No reason DIII teams should be going to Florida in softball or baseball or golf or whatever sport. No reason for indoor practice facilities for FB in DIII and no reason for the weight rooms and training facilities. It's become a farce on what DIII sports was supposed to be.

I wonder if Lane Kiffin could straighten that out?

Well it is a good thing they aren't trying to get an old fatty like you to go to school there then.

Some would say the same about D-I.

Colleges are in a facilities arms race with or with out sports. The dorms are far nicer than they were when I was in college, and so are the rec centers. Wait, we didn't have rec centers. New buildings on every campus. My daughter isn't playing sports in college, but the modern dorms and buildings made a huge difference for her in choosing a school. Updated locker rooms and athletic lounges just part of larger modernization projects at almost every campus.

What you're describing is intermural sports, D3 athletes still have the right to compete, and these schools are private, they build their facilities off donations, you have no right to tell people how to spend their money or who and how they can donate it too. Besides, high schools have indoor football facilities, odds are when the super bowl is here one team will practice at the U and other will practice at one of the big high school like Minnetonka or Blaine who have a dome. Your disrespect of the division 3 athlete is a farce.

Ralph you are so out of touch with DIII. You base your statements on your own bizarre idea of the what DIII should be but here is a little reality for you:

Enrollment in the WIAC:

Eau Claire, Founded in 1916, current enrollment 10,500

LaCrosse, Founded 1909, current enrollment 9900

Oshkosh, Founded 1871, current enrollment 12,400

Platteville, Founded 1866, current enrollment 7500

River Falls, Founded 1874, current enrollment 6788

Stevens Point, Founded 1894, current enrollment 8800

Stout, Founded 1891, current enrollment 8400

Superior, Founded 1893, current enrollment 2900

Whitewater, Founded 1868, current enrollment 10,671

DI, DII, or DIII basketball arena? You tell me.

aad4142857abebc40348b99f19e8b3b5.jpg

What you're describing is intermural sports, D3 athletes still have the right to compete, and these schools are private, they build their facilities off donations, you have no right to tell people how to spend their money or who and how they can donate it too. Besides, high schools have indoor football facilities, odds are when the super bowl is here one team will practice at the U and other will practice at one of the big high school like Minnetonka or Blaine who have a dome. Your disrespect of the division 3 athlete is a farce.

Blaine doesn't have a dome.

Blaine doesn't have a dome.

But... he clearly knows what he is talking about!

I am guessing the Super Bowl teams will use the U of M and then either Concordia St. Paul or Augsburg. Just for the simple fact that they aren't going to put a team in a high school.

I am guessing the Super Bowl teams will use the U of M and then either Concordia St. Paul or Augsburg. Just for the simple fact that they aren't going to put a team in a high school.

I read that the Vikings hope to have their new practice facility/headquarters in Eagan done before the Super Bowl and would host a team as well.

...the team privately hopes the facility can be ready to open for Super Bowl 52, where it would potentially host one of the teams playing in the game at U.S. Bank Stadium.

http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-v...eagan-site-for-possible-new-practice-facility

Uh-oh, here we go again. Apparently the U did not get the memo about people's rights as it relates to making donations.

Okay Blaine doesn't have a dome, point is plenty of big suburbs do and I know this is Dallas so it's a hole different world, but the Packers and the Steelers used high school facilities leading up to the Super Bowl. Maybe the teams will use Concordia or another MIAC school, but Augsburg is too close to the ghetto in the sky complex, so I doubt they'll use there's.

Okay Blaine doesn't have a dome, point is plenty of big suburbs do and I know this is Dallas so it's a hole different world, but the Packers and the Steelers used high school facilities leading up to the Super Bowl. Maybe the teams will use Concordia or another MIAC school, but Augsburg is too close to the ghetto in the sky complex, so I doubt they'll use there's.
Augsburg is the only MIAC team that has a dome and Concordia's dome is close, just a few miles east on 94. I hope they do use Augsburg but I think it is a long shot.

I walked into that arena and was impressed with such an amazing arena at the DIII level. (I know it's not football, but still, it's impressive. There are many, lower tier DI teams with worse facilities.)

I think the facilities race at the DIII level is purely about driving up enrollment, especially as the price of a college education skyrockets.

Why be a no name DI or DII school when you can be a national champion in DIII? It's good for marketing if you can claim national champion in your advertising.

Top Bottom