Zebrowski looks like a finalist for the HC job at UW-Eau Claire

IDFM

Reaction score
The former HC from Southern Illinois and the OC from UMD are the other finalist.

Anyone happen to know what the general range of salary is for a head coach at a DIII school? I didn't see it in my search. If I were to guess, maybe 80k?

I looked through the UW database and it varies. Whitewater's coach makes about 71k for coaching but he also has a student affairs coach for 13K so 84K. Stout's coach makes 44K and also has a teaching job in the Phys Ed department for 19K so 63K.

I looked through the UW database and it varies. Whitewater's coach makes about 71k for coaching but he also has a student affairs coach for 13K so 84K. Stout's coach makes 44K and also has a teaching job in the Phys Ed department for 19K so 63K.

So, would you think that's higher or lower than a QB coach at a MAC/Conf USA/WAC school (where I'd assume he'd end up otherwise). I'd think it'd be higher, but not sure?

So, would you think that's higher or lower than a QB coach at a MAC/Conf USA/WAC school (where I'd assume he'd end up otherwise). I'd think it'd be higher, but not sure?

This is me just ball parking but if he was on the higher end of the salary range it would probably be more.

Here is the asst coach salaries in FBS. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

The one thing that shocked me is how low the asst coaches pay was at the D3 schools. Stouts OC played for Kill at Northern Ill. He makes roughly 35K and part of that comes from teaching as well. I have heard the stories before in the past of how little they made; but I thought that number would have greatly gone up since the early 2000s.

I wondered when I did not hear Zebrowski or Limegrover's names being mentioned for jobs whether they were even going after jobs in coaching or if they were just going to make it on the outside.

He would be making a huge mistake in taking a DIII job at UWEC. First he will be taking a huge pay cut and second no one really cares about DIII football. i think the attention paid to SJU and St. Thomas is manufactured and third the UW System is going down the toilet.

Zembrowski taking the UWEC job is like when the Nicholas Cage character in Leaving Las Vegas went to Vegas to drink himself to death.

He would be making a huge mistake in taking a DIII job at UWEC. First he will be taking a huge pay cut and second no one really cares about DIII football. i think the attention paid to SJU and St. Thomas is manufactured and third the UW System is going down the toilet.

Zembrowski taking the UWEC job is like when the Nicholas Cage character in Leaving Las Vegas went to Vegas to drink himself to death.

As stated above, he wouldn't be taking a huge pay cut. He may make more money being a head coach there than an assistant at a low FBS school. Plus running your own program, and running it well could lead to other better HC jobs down the line.

Tons of people care about DIII football. If you think the UST/ SJU rivalry is manufactured, you clearly haven't been to a game before. That's a pretty dumb take.

As stated above, he wouldn't be taking a huge pay cut. He may make more money being a head coach there than an assistant at a low FBS school. Plus running your own program, and running it well could lead to other better HC jobs down the line.

Tons of people care about DIII football. If you think the UST/ SJU rivalry is manufactured, you clearly haven't been to a game before. That's a pretty dumb take.

Completely agree. Going from an assistant to a head coach is a step up and probably a step in the right direction if he wants to be a head coach at a higher level. Salary isn't everything, if this job helps him get to his career goals its worth a pay cut.

Yeah that's a bad take. Lance Leipold just jumped from the WIAC to the Buffalo HC job.

And how can we forget Ed Meierkort, who parlayed his success at Stout to the HC at South Dakota, then famously beat our very own Gophers at TCF in 2010.

The post is bad on so many levels. The WIAC is rated the #1 D3 football conference in the country. The MIAC #2. The UST/SJU rivalry is so unique that ESPN decided to broadcast GameDay from Collegeville this September on the morning of the Tommie-Johnnie game.

UW Eau Claire does have a huge hill to climb but a guy like coach Z is probably a good candidate with his connections in the metro area.

I still say going to UWEC will be the end of his career. UWEC has never won anything in DIII. Schools like Whitewater, Mount Union, SJU, St.Thomas are the huge outliers in money spent on DIII football. A UW System school like UWEC in no way shape or form has the funds to be competitive for titles in DIII. The UW System is quickly becoming a joke with funding cuts and so on. Nationally DIII FB is a big nowhere. Sure it's popular at two schools in the area that happen have to wealthy alumni who give money to Catholic Schools and Whitewater is goofy about DIII FB because a few alumni who have money act like owners of the program which is similar to the situation at St. Thomas and SJU.

DIII FB is the big nowhere with a very, very, few exceptions. St. Thomas if they had any guts would go to Division 1 and FCS considering they have the student body and alumni base similar to DePaul, Marquette, Detroit-Mercy, Dayton, and Xavier.

Blah, blah, blah

So you're saying that he has no way of advancing his career unless he wins a national championship?

It will be the end of his career if he improves the program substantially yet fails to win a championship?

Solid.

Lets make this simpler for you Ralph. If his goal is to become a division 1 head coach then becoming a HC at a lower level is better than going to be a QB coach at a lower level or laterally.

Lets make this simpler for you Ralph. If his goal is to become a division 1 head coach then becoming a HC at a lower level is better than going to be a QB coach at a lower level or laterally.

nailed it.

Let's just keep in mind that we're arguing with the person who still believes we should hire Lane Kiffin as the Head Football Coach.

Let's just keep in mind that we're arguing with the person who still believes we should hire Lane Kiffin as the Head Football Coach.

IALTO

He didn't get the job. Lost out to the offensive coordinator at UMD.

The point is moot because Coach Z didn't get the UW-EC job, but prior to getting hooked up with Coach Kill, he was the OC at UW-Whitewater and played at Mount Union. Looking at his resume I would say OC at a non Power Conference FBS or FCS school or Div II/III HC are what he's qualified for. HC at Div III, might be his best shot with his experience, if he wants to be in charge.

That's too bad. Hope he finds something. I personally thought QB coach to HC was kind of a big jump and he should be looking for a coordinator position somewhere. But I don't follow assistant coaching moves so don't really know.

That's too bad. Hope he finds something. I personally thought QB coach to HC was kind of a big jump and he should be looking for a coordinator position somewhere. But I don't follow assistant coaching moves so don't really know.
You also didn't look at his resume He's already been a HC at Div III.

So you're saying that he has no way of advancing his career unless he wins a national championship?

It will be the end of his career if he improves the program substantially yet fails to win a championship?

Solid.

At a division III school like UWEC yes it will be the end of his career. If he wants to be a head coach at the FBS or FCS level he should get a position or coordinator job at a FBS or FCS school. UWEC like the rest of the WIAC schools is not where where you go to build a career with the exception of Whitewater, but the jury is still out on that coach at Buffalo.

A blessing in disguise for him. UWEC would have killed his career. The other WIAC schools except Whitewater have no resources to be relevant enough for him to move up. He dodged a bullet.

A blessing in disguise for him. UWEC would have killed his career. The other WIAC schools except Whitewater have no resources to be relevant enough for him to move up. He dodged a bullet.

Going somewhere with little resources and improving the program would actually help his career just about as much as anything else. Once again your takes are way off.

Going somewhere with little resources and improving the program would actually help his career just about as much as anything else. Once again your takes are way off.

I think you are under-estimating the lack of quality in athlete and facilities at the WIAC compared to Whitewater. The WIAC is steadily losing funding and falling behind in facilities even for DIII FB. The WIAC operates at a money-losing athletic league. With the cuts in funding and decline in enrollment at WIAC schools UWEC would have doomed his career. Have you ever compared the facilities between SJU and ST. Thomas and the WIAC schools? UWEC like most WIAC schools are falling further and further behind in the facilities race compared to private DIII schools where FB is scene as recruiting tool and where you sucker 150 kids into paying tuition to support a DIII athletic program and football program. UWEC cannot operate on the 120 kids model that private DIII schools do. Talk to other UW system coaches and they will tell you the story of cuts in funding and decline in institutional support.

Please stop quoting Ralph... I would appreciate not having to read any of his drivel.

Whitewater didn't even win the conference this year.

Is going from D1 to D3 a step up, even if the D3 job is head coach? It doesn't seem like it's upward to me. I could be convinced if it was a D2 HC position, but not D3 and certainly not for the bluegolds.

I think you are under-estimating the lack of quality in athlete and facilities at the WIAC compared to Whitewater. The WIAC is steadily losing funding and falling behind in facilities even for DIII FB. The WIAC operates at a money-losing athletic league. With the cuts in funding and decline in enrollment at WIAC schools UWEC would have doomed his career. Have you ever compared the facilities between SJU and ST. Thomas and the WIAC schools? UWEC like most WIAC schools are falling further and further behind in the facilities race compared to private DIII schools where FB is scene as recruiting tool and where you sucker 150 kids into paying tuition to support a DIII athletic program and football program. UWEC cannot operate on the 120 kids model that private DIII schools do. Talk to other UW system coaches and they will tell you the story of cuts in funding and decline in institutional support.

Are you implying that no coach should take a job in D3 below the "elite" schools? Ever hear of Glen Carruso? Started at mighty Macalester. Not exactly a D3 juggernaut. Brought them to respectability before moving to St.Thomas. Goes to show that any coaching job can be a stepping stone, no matter the "lack of resources" that you are referring.

Top Bottom