Gopher Sports Q&A with Bart Miller

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

GS: What traits do you look for in an offensive lineman?
BM: We want big and strong kids, obviously. We want powerful guys that transfer explosion through their hips. We want guys who are finishing blocks, staying on people, putting them on the ground and being physical. We want them to play with aggression and a confidence about them that they know they’re the best player on the field. They might not be the best talent-wise, but they’re going to be the meanest, toughest and nastiest guys out there. Of course, we are looking for guys with the right physical attributes. We want a character trait that is all about being physical and being aggressive. We want the five guys that best represent those values.

GS: Your initial thoughts on Minnesota’s offensive line?
BM: I’ve looked at the roster and watched some of the film that I’ve been able to get my hands on and I’ve talked to a number of the guys on the staff. I talked with Coach Claeys and just kind of followed from a distance and I’m very excited. I think there is a lot of talent in that room and I think there’s a lot of incoming talent. There’s no doubt that I think we can do some special things at Minnesota. When we were at Wisconsin, we recruited similar caliber players and we had a tremendous amount of success with those guys who are in the NFL now. There’s no reason why Minnesota’s offensive line can’t be the most dominant in the Big Ten and that’s what we’re coming in to do. I think there’s talent there. I think there’s a group of guys that have the ability to be dominant, week in and week out. I’m really looking forward to working with those guys. I can’t wait.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010416aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

"There’s no reason why Minnesota’s offensive line can’t be the most dominant in the Big Ten"

Chili is warming up...

We want Patrick Kasl and Blais Andries...

this sounds like man blocking, rather than the zone shuffle. And when he made mention meanest, toughest, and nastiest if you don't have all three I don't see playing time.

this sounds like man blocking, rather than the zone shuffle. And when he made mention meanest, toughest, and nastiest if you don't have all three I don't see playing time.

Yup--not for the meek, or a gentle giant

You have to be physical. You have to double-team people and you have to have an edge about the way you play.

What great time to take over. This is the height of strength and condition season. With the two JC players on campus and Tyler Moore leading the way. You add Coach Miller to mix and this is the perfect time to transform the O line. This is perfect time to find the meanest, nasty, determined traits in the players. Its a change in culture.

This has to be the most attention any position coach has ever received. Anywhere. Anytime. Yawn.

This has to be the most attention any position coach has ever received. Anywhere. Anytime. Yawn.

yawn at this position coach, or yawn at the position? OL is the most important position group on the field in my opinion. Hackenberg for PSU went from best QB in the nation to a disaster based on a bad OL. Wisconsin continues to churn out all american RBs who never do squat in the NFL because their OL is the reason for their success.

Everything on the offense starts up front. You can argue the same is true with a DL, and there's certainly some truth, but a great secondary can create extra time for sacks, and you can have some great LBs to control the running game, etc.

yawn at this position coach, or yawn at the position? OL is the most important position group on the field in my opinion. Hackenberg for PSU went from best QB in the nation to a disaster based on a bad OL. Wisconsin continues to churn out all american RBs who never do squat in the NFL because their OL is the reason for their success.

Everything on the offense starts up front. You can argue the same is true with a DL, and there's certainly some truth, but a great secondary can create extra time for sacks, and you can have some great LBs to control the running game, etc.

I agree the OL is the most important position outside of QB. I also think analyzing what an OL (or any position) Coach says at a presser is silly. How many OL coaches can you name? Can you provide a list of the OL coaches you think are good and a list of those you think are bad?

I'm glad we got a guy with experience and with a history in the B1G. Outside of that and if he can recruit I don't care. Discussing position coaches is what makes me yawn.

No kidding. There is 1 thread out of 40 on the first page of this football forum. It is everywhere!

Here are three

Ed Warinner TOSU
Mark Staten MSU
Mario Cristobal Alabama

If you are a poor offensive line coach, you are not on the same page. I don't know the names of the Wisconsin OL Coach, or the Arkansas OL Coach, but I think this enough evidence that if you are running the ball it starts with the OL and the Coach.

Coach Miller is outspoken about what it takes, what he wants, and what he expects. He has done it before, and its not hot air. If you want to down play his ability or want to discredit his philosophy or plan then bring it. This is a change in techniques from zone stretch, inside zone, to man blocking, traps, double teams. This all about a physical style of play, rather than finesse and shuffle.

The most important offensive elements are a great offensive line and a great QB. If you have those everything else falls in place.

Here are three
Ed Warinner TOSU
Mark Staten MSU
Mario Cristobal Alabama

LOL. If you run the ball well you must have a great OL coach. If you don't run the ball well then you don't. Good insight and Google use.

Jimmies and Joes before Xs and Os.

FTR - I never said OL play isn't important as I was accused of earlier in this thread (which is just silly). I also never said a good position coach can't be valuable (as you are implying). What I said is this focus on what this position coach said in his presser as an indication of <I>anything </I>is as dumb as thinking Bud Grant's "Cold Weather don't bother me" gimmick is inspiring. All I hear is blah blah blah. Did we learn nothing from Tim Brewster?

Let's see how we perform and develop before we celebrate a position coach. Maybe if someone could break down how he improved NMSU's OL this could be a valuable discussion, but I suspect the number of folks on here that can objectively do that is somewhere below 1.

Top Bottom