Gophers Lose in OT, 4-3, to No. 7 Harvard

Reaction score
It looked like a third-period, comeback victory for the Golden Gophers until Harvard's Kyle Criscuolo found the twine with just 34 seconds left, forcing overtime. Criscuolo scored again in the extra session to seal a victory for the Crimson.

Don Lucia:
“They’re a good team. We gave up that first goal on the first shot—left a guy all alone in front. I thought we battled back. Going into the third period, you’re just one shot down, but you can’t chase the game. Three-two is kind of our score to win with. That was a disappointing part, you go up three-two, and you’re in a penalty-kill, plus-one situation and give up the back door. Then we turned it over in overtime to the wrong guys.”

On what he learned from the team against Harvard:
“I thought we went toe-to-toe, which is what I expected. I thought we had some real good opportunities in the second period, first period, even—we hit a cross bar. There’s areas of our game we still have to improve upon but, they’re so good at their retrieval game, their cycle game, I didn’t feel like we got hemmed in much tonight like I’ve seen them do to other teams. We have to execute when we have a chance from an offensive standpoint.”

Steve Johnson
On his first career goal:
“It felt great. Connor [Reilly] made a great play, I saw the opening, and it went in. Next time, hopefully, it’ll be a better result [of the game].”

On the two third-period goals:
“We have a lot of energy on this team. In the third period we just had a bunch of energy. One thing we’ve found out about this team is we never give up and that was pretty crucial being down 2-1. We just have to try to keep that energy up moving forward.”

On the defensemen getting more involved in the offense:
“We work on that all the time in practice. Coach always preaches fourth man in, have the D join the rush depending the situation. Whenever we can join the rush we do that. Hockey has changed nowadays, that fourth guy, usually a defenseman will jump up into the play and be a lethal threat.”

Three Stars
3 – Steve Johnson scored in the third period to give Minnesota the lead.

2 – Seb Lloyd finished with a goal and an assist.

1 – Kyle Criscuolo scored to send the game to overtime and notched the game winner.

By The Numbers
35 Saves for goalie Eric Schierhon, a new career high.

1 Goal for sophomore defenseman Steve Johnson, his first in a Gopher sweater.

28 Seconds between goals by Leon Bristedt and Steve Johnson, which gave the Gophers a 3-2 lead, late in the third period.

Mariucci Classic All-Tournament Team
F: Hudson Fasching
F: Seb Lloyd
F: Kyle Criscuolo
D: Michael Brodzinski
D: Steve Johnson
G: Merrick Madsen
MVP: Kyle Criscuolo

What’s Next
The Gophers travel to State College, Pa. to resume Big Ten play against Penn State. Friday’s game will be televised by BTN. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. CT. The teams conclude the series on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. CT.

The best 28 seconds of the season.

Novak had, at minimum, an opportunity hat trick. Madsen came up big each time.

Top Bottom