Chip Kelly fired

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
News just came out that Chip Kelly has been fired by the Eagles. Anyone college teams still looking for a head coach?

I knew he was having problems there due to the fact that he is really difficult to get along with, but wow. I'm shocked.

He won't be out of work long, I'm sure.

His personality seems much more suited to the college game anyway. You can get away with being a micromanaging control freak with a super-massive ego when coaching college ball whereas you just can't in the pro's, and Kelly was pretty heavily resented by many of his Eagles players for treating them like children rather than grown men.

His decisions when given full control of personnel in Philadelphia were pretty much disastrous, but still I'm shocked he got whacked this quickly. It'll be fascinating to hear what went on behind the scenes and what truly led up to his termination.

Dang, If Claeys had waited one more day to hire an OC he could've made a run at Chip.

So does he take a year off? What teams could make a change next season? Bill Snyder at Kansas St. has to retire sometime soon so that could be a possibility. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I bet he ends up as HC of Tennessee Titans with Mariota. If not there, then Charlie Strong should start sweating

I knew he was having problems there due to the fact that he is really difficult to get along with, but wow. I'm shocked.

He won't be out of work long, I'm sure.

He's not a NFL coach,I'm not shocked at all

Agreed. There's a reason you see more NFL assistants getting NFL HC jobs instead of successful college coaches. Don't know the exact reasons for Kelly's dismissal, but the NFL is a whole different game than college when it comes to scheme.

Agreed. There's a reason you see more NFL assistants getting NFL HC jobs instead of successful college coaches. Don't know the exact reasons for Kelly's dismissal, but the NFL is a whole different game than college when it comes to scheme.

He wasn't fired due to X's and O's

He turned nick foles into a fringe MVP candidate

His schemes were working fine. The bigger problem was that everyone hated him and he got rid of a lot of his talent.

He wasn't fired due to X's and O's

He turned nick foles into a fringe MVP candidate

His schemes were working fine. The bigger problem was that everyone hated him and he got rid of a lot of his talent.

Yeah. The question isn't his ability to coach, it's the fact he's next to impossible to get along with in that kind of milieu. He demanded full control over everything, cozied himself to Lurie and then back-stabbed and attempted to undermine anyone that stood in the way of him achieving that. That doesn't make for a good workplace environment, and that's not even bringing in his treatment of his players or his terrible decision making when assembling his roster.

I bet he ends up as HC of Tennessee Titans with Mariota. If not there, then Charlie Strong should start sweating

The Titans would seem to make a lot of sense, and there is already speculation about that. The question is, would he agree to be simply their football coach or would he also demand full control over the entire operation as he did in Philly? The Titans already have a GM and a good one in Ruston Webster, so if hired, could Chip survive without being in full control, or would he engage in machinations to get Webster out?

Reports have him also turning down the SIU job immediately after Limey.

In all seriousness, the story is that Lurie wanted him to relinquish his GM duties and be only head coach. When Kelly balked he was canned.

In all seriousness, the story is that Lurie wanted him to relinquish his GM duties and be only head coach. When Kelly balked he was canned.

I believe it. Go back to college, Chip. There you can have total control over EVERYTHING and be lauded for it.

There is exactly one head coach/general manager in the NFL, and that is Bill Belichick, and that because he is some kind of zombie super-freak who doesn't eat or sleep but simply survives on football 24/7/365. There is a reason why these jobs have become split as they have, because they are simply too big for one man to adequately cover anymore (with the exception of Belichick, but he's not human). I don't know that Chip's ego can allow him to accept that reality, but that's what it is.

I disagree. He was 26-21 with a bunch of misfit quarterbacks. I thought he was doing okay. He was no Saban. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another gig somewhere in the NFL.

News just came out that Chip Kelly has been fired by the Eagles. Anyone college teams still looking for a head coach?

No disrespect to Claeys but Kelly would have been a home run hire for us especially with Seth Green coming in

This, he'll be going to Tennessee. Mariota and now gets to coach Cobb as well.

If he takes a year off, and Gus has another bad year down here in Auburn, you can bet that they will throw a bunch of money at him.

No disrespect to Claeys but Kelly would have been a home run hire for us especially with Seth Green coming in

A sitting NFL head coach would've been a home run hire for Minnesota, you say? No sh1t, huh? Are you sure that you're not a professional analyst? Normally this type of insight is really expensive, and here you are just giving it away!

A sitting NFL head coach would've been a home run hire for Minnesota, you say? No sh1t, huh? Are you sure that you're not a professional analyst? Normally this type of insight is really expensive, and here you are just giving it away!

:clap:

Just offer bellicek (sp). He'll jump to the gophers in a heartbeat. ...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If he takes a year off, and Gus has another bad year down here in Auburn, you can bet that they will throw a bunch of money at him.
I think a lot of coaches will be sweating if this happens. Jim Mora, Charlie Strong, Kevin Sumlin, Les Miles.

This, he'll be going to Tennessee. Mariota and now gets to coach Cobb as well.

Is the rumor him to be the TItans head coach or OC?

Kelly would be a horrible hire as an OC due to the fact he would be gone in one season.

I think a lot of coaches will be sweating if this happens. Jim Mora, Charlie Strong, Kevin Sumlin, Les Miles.

Mora and Sumlin for whatever reason are names rumored for NFL openings.

I wouldn't bet on Kelly's offense working in the SEC. He seems like a Pac 12 or Big XII coach.

I disagree. He was 26-21 with a bunch of misfit quarterbacks. I thought he was doing okay. He was no Saban. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get another gig somewhere in the NFL.

He has a horrible perception amongst the players of color (black), good luck signing any free agents. Folks are well aware of him leaking the Desean Jackson gang rumors a couple of years ago in an effort to justify cutting him.

Top Bottom