Shama: Players who might transfer are reserves Berkley Edwards and Jacques Perra

I would be more surprised by Perra than Edwards.

Perra wasn't that far away from playing, he'll only be a SO, and I think he's still the best passer on the roster.

No, Croft is the best passer. Head and shoulders above everyone in Fall scrimmage.

247 indicating Gentry was leaving, but has since decided to stay.

This was the one I had heard and was most concerned about, and Craig James. Glad to be wrong! I love gentry.

This was the one I had heard and was most concerned about, and Craig James. Glad to be wrong! I love gentry.

This should take care of the rumors:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Player attrition happens all the time. Unfortunately for the Gophers, Brewster left the program in such shambles as far as player development and balance of classes. This was especially true with the QB situation.

Losing Shortell, and the Nelson really hurt. But now, we hope to have stability with Croft, Green, and Rhoda. Sure, it is tough to lose an able passer like Perra who helped running the opponents' plays in practice.

I don't blame him for transferring since he really wants to play before he graduates. There is zero chance of that happening being buried deep in the depth chart.

If you cannot beat out Leidner for the starting job then you have almost 0 chance of starting at any other BCS school.

This is just ridiculous.

On to the transfers to be announced. I wonder if we go for more incoming freshman, JUCO's or save a slot or two for next year.

Gant, Edwards, and James per Burn's on Twitter.

So the confirmed ones are

Edwards
Gant
James

Rumored:
Johannsen (sp)
Perra

This is just ridiculous.

On to the transfers to be announced. I wonder if we go for more incoming freshman, JUCO's or save a slot or two for next year.

Probably depends on what they can find

I'd like to see another DT added

Sounds like Berk is focusing on track, and the U is one of 7 possibilities:

I think that the young WRs would probably want to stick around and see what the new offense looks like. Claeys opened things up a bit after taking over and I saw some things in yesterday's game that made me think there may be more of a vertical passing attack in the future. Holland and Gentry look to be pretty good athletes, but the Limegrover passing attack seemed to have those guys simply "sit down" in soft areas as opposed to attacking the defense. Maybe that changes some. For such a rudimentary passing attack designed by Limegrover, he (and probably Kill) sure didn't trust many guys to run it.

As per Mitch. Great game yesterday. His footwork gets messed up now and then and his release is a bit slow, but he throws a nice ball when he can get set.

So the confirmed ones are

Edwards
Gant
James

Rumored:
Johannsen (sp)
Perra

If this is the end of it, I'm okay with how things transpired.

Edwards: Not a Big10 RB - too small...maybe should just focus on track.
Gant: Heard he had potential, but was surpassed by Still.
James: The most game-worthy of the bunch, but I don't fear for our depth at DB.
Johannsen: Probably was never going to be a RB anyway, and if he was unwilling to switch positions he's better off elsewhere.
Perra: Doesn't matter.

If this is the end of it, I'm okay with how things transpired.

Edwards: Not a Big10 RB - too small...maybe should just focus on track.
Gant: Heard he had potential, but was surpassed by Still.
James: The most game-worthy of the bunch, but I don't fear for our depth at DB.
Johannsen: Probably was never going to be a RB anyway, and if he was unwilling to switch positions he's better off elsewhere.
Perra: Doesn't matter.

Pretty much agree with this except one minor detail. I'm not as confident as you are in the depth at DB next year. James did get a lot of playing time/experience this year and I think he would have contributed a lot next. Maybe some one else steps into his place, maybe not.

Pretty much agree with this except one minor detail. I'm not as confident as you are in the depth at DB next year. James did get a lot of playing time/experience this year and I think he would have contributed a lot next. Maybe some one else steps into his place, maybe not.

Don't forget we signed about 65 defensive backs in this recruiting season with a few juco's sprinkled in. So our depth should be fine.

Berk's Dad claiming that the coaching staff was dishonest about playing time.
HA. gotta earn playing time....
Maybe he should transfer to daddy's alma mater,
oh....wait, that's right, they didn't want him.

What's with the Johansen rumor? Any credibility or reasoning?

Player attrition happens all the time. Unfortunately for the Gophers, Brewster left the program in such shambles as far as player development and balance of classes. This was especially true with the QB situation.

Losing Shortell, and the Nelson really hurt. But now, we hope to have stability with Croft, Green, and Rhoda. Sure, it is tough to lose an able passer like Perra who helped running the opponents' plays in practice.

I don't blame him for transferring since he really wants to play before he graduates. There is zero chance of that happening being buried deep in the depth chart.

you can't blame brewster for the QB fiasco. He was not around for the Shortell/Nelson/Leidner transition and Mckinsey and Streveler are 2 others which we expected big things from the QB spot

I had mentioned earlier - I would never consider myself an insider. My info is so limited, but worth sharing. I was told by a legacy family that there is concern that they could lose 2 RB's, 2 WR's and at least one lineman. I don't know any names, but my personal guess would be Johannesson and Gentry based on the chatter on Gopherhole. I could see the RB's looking at the two freshman starters this year, and realizing they have good players in front of them.

It was easier to get a bit more info once the news went public, but the WR's were Gant and Gentry, with Gentry deciding to stay. The RB's were Edwards and Johannesson, and the OLineman decided to stay without making an issue after talking with coaches. That's all I got. They never said anything about James - which would make sense since their son had played on the offense, and was plugged in with a few of the O players/young coaches. I am hoping that is all the attrition. Basically, stuff that came out over a cup of coffee with the dad after work. I really hope we do not lose any O lineman, so this could be good news.

Berk's Dad claiming that the coaching staff was dishonest about playing time.
HA. gotta earn playing time....
Maybe he should transfer to daddy's alma mater,
oh....wait, that's right, they didn't want him.
That's harsh.

Berk's Dad claiming that the coaching staff was dishonest about playing time. HA. gotta earn playing time.... Maybe he should transfer to daddy's alma mater, oh....wait, that's right, they didn't want him.

So you know for a fact what the coaching staff told them about playing time? Do tell. How did you get invited to that meeting?

I would like to see Johansen stay and work at another position. I watched his tape when he signed and looked to be a great athlete. I don't know if he played linebacker in high school but I would think he would be a nice addition to the Def. Is he big enough for DE? Hope he stays and contributes.

you can't blame brewster for the QB fiasco. He was not around for the Shortell/Nelson/Leidner transition and Mckinsey and Streveler are 2 others which we expected big things from the QB spot

Of the guys Kill recruited to play QB, only Nelson and Leidner are FBS-level guys. I still think Kill thought he could run the NIU offense in the B1G with a Jordan Lynch type QB and I think that was a miscalculation on his part. Harnish was a different story at NIU. I think he could have played at a Power 5 school.

I would like to see Johansen stay and work at another position. I watched his tape when he signed and looked to be a great athlete. I don't know if he played linebacker in high school but I would think he would be a nice addition to the Def. Is he big enough for DE? Hope he stays and contributes.
They have run a run heavy offense, and will continue to do so, you need more than 2 RB's in that type of system. Rodrick Williams & Berkely Edwards are done. They don't have a commitment from a RB in this years class. That leaves Smith, Brooks, Femi-Cole & Johannesson. I hope he stays and continues to play RB.

Top Bottom