All Things Nathan Reuvers Recruitment Thread - UPDATED: wisconsin commit

Well, i do think there is a very good chance that Reuvers will be the best college player on that court last night. I'm not saying you don't offer Hurt...but I would make sure we have a scholarship available for Reuvers.

Hurt is 2016

Reuvers is 2017

Hurt is 2016

Reuvers is 2017

I understand what class both players are in....I'm saying I would make sure there is a scholarship available for Reuvers. I would also make sure I didn't give him an ultimatum telling him he needs to make a decision by the beginning of November.

I understand what class both players are in....I'm saying I would make sure there is a scholarship available for Reuvers. I would also make sure I didn't give him an ultimatum telling him he needs to make a decision by the beginning of November.

Gotcha. So if things stay as they are would you rather have Theo John or Reuvers? I know a lot could change in the next year. Just curious. I've never seen Reuvers play that why I ask.

Gotcha. So if things stay as they are would you rather have Theo John or Reuvers? I know a lot could change in the next year. Just curious. I've never seen Reuvers play that why I ask.

I haven't seen either of them play enough to make that decision. I would love to see both play for the Gophers. I guess what I'm saying is I hope we make a scholarship available...one way or another.

Reuvers may not have a Gopher offer yet but I think it is just a matter of time. Reuvers has been to 3 or 4 Gophers games this year as well as a couple unofficial visits to the U last summer and Pitino has been at a couple of Reuvers games as well and seems to be a lot of interest both ways to me.

Pitino only recruits bigs with no basic basketball skills, so don't hold your breath. He can actually catch a ball thrown at him, which is a major strike against him.

Pitino only recruits bigs with no basic basketball skills, so don't hold your breath. He can actually catch a ball thrown at him, which is a major strike against him.

I'm assuming you're not counting Murphy as a big. If that's the case can you say Reuvers is big? Is Lynch a big? Is Curry a big?

Okay....Reuvers is only a junior. I think Pitino will recruit Reuvers hard (and has) and it's been reported that he would really like him. I've been as hard on Pitino as anyone, but I think it is too soon to criticize him for his recruiting Reuvers at this time. Personally I think he made some mistakes on his recruitment of Macura...but Macura might not have choosen to play at the U anyway. I think Pitino seems like a sharp guy, hopefully he has learned from some of the mistakes he may have made.

Pitino has been been down to see Reuvers several times in the last few months, word from Lakeville North people is Richard has serious interest. Seems the kid has maroon and gold shaded glasses as well. I was feeling good that if we wanted him, done deal. Seeing Bo's sidekick in Roch last night I got a bad feeling and sure enough... they have a lot to sell and could sway the kid (considering we have not even offered).

Having Theo as #1 recurit is no reason not to offer Reuvers, we don't know if he will commit or how many scollys we will have available.

To your point, the Reuvers family are big JP supporters, and yes I've got solid confirmation Pitino f'd the JP recruitment by making him wait with a soft offer thinking he would land bigger fish... Don't make that mistake again Richard, or maybe you already have.

Pitino has been been down to see Reuvers several times in the last few months, word from Lakeville North people is Richard has serious interest. Seems the kid has maroon and gold shaded glasses as well. I was feeling good that if we wanted him, done deal. Seeing Bo's sidekick in Roch last night I got a bad feeling and sure enough... they have a lot to sell and could sway the kid (considering we have not even offered).

Having Theo as #1 recurit is no reason not to offer Reuvers, we don't know if he will commit or how many scollys we will have available.

To your point, the Reuvers family are big JP supporters, and yes I've got solid confirmation Pitino f'd the JP recruitment by making him wait with a soft offer thinking he would land bigger fish... Don't make that mistake again Richard, or maybe you already have.

It sounds like you might have heard some of the same things about Macura's recruitment that I had...

I think Notre Dame would be the team to worry about with Reuvers. From the sound of it if he gets an offer from Notre Dame it would be a big upset if he landed anywhere else.

It sounds like you might have heard some of the same things about Macura's recruitment that I had...

The recruitment of Macura was so botched by Tubby that Pitino likely couldn't have landed him with picture perfect recruiting.

And this thread is about Reuvers....I hope the Gophers are able to land him....and Theo John.

That's not what I heard....

Yup, jp didn't start getting heavily recruited by major schools until after tubby was gone, and pitino did not offer right away ether and strung JP along which irked the family a little as they weren't happy about the lack of attention JP was getting compared to the Big 3 and they weren't exactly gopher fans to begin with, they were really hoping for a badger offer, but it never came, big mistake on Bo's part. But it would be nice if everyone stopped blaming the state of the program on Tubby, it gets old, and for most part is all biased assumptions that is hard justify at this point considering Tubby inherited a much worse team and is going to the NCAA tourney this season, it just makes us look silly as a fan base. People act like he'd have no chance at any of the local recruits when the fact remains he had never lost a local recruit he wanted to another school, would that have continued? probably not, but to assume he had no chance at a recruit compared to Pitino is just wrong, I can tell you for a fact that the Gophers had much better chance at Vaughn with Tubby than they did with Pitino. Our current coach right now is Pitino, so lets worry about him and how he is doing and not scapegoat by blaming others.

But back to topic on hand, badgers have already offered Theo but sounds like the offer isn't commitable anymore, so it's bit interesting that they find Reuvers as the better prospect

badgers have already offered Theo but sounds like the offer isn't commitable anymore, so it's bit interesting that they find Reuvers as the better prospect

Or possibly Theo made it clear that he has no interest in UW so they're moving on.

In hindsight it is easy to say botched, but I don't think people are recognizing that Pitino knew what he was doing. Somehow, on a short recruiting cycle, Pitino had Minnesota in the final 2/3 schools of the top two shooting guards in the class. Sounds to me like he played his odds. It's not every year a coach has, not one, but two legitimate chances at a top ten player. He would have been foolish to allow a commitment to a late blooming macura if he was comfortable with his odds with the top two players at the same position. Outside of Sg and Reid Travis, it was painfully obvious that Pitino was targeting a point guard in that class. Macura's family may say he got jobbed, but I say he simply fell outside of Pitino's strategy given the circumstances of Vaughn and Whitehead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But back to topic on hand, badgers have already offered Theo but sounds like the offer isn't commitable anymore, so it's bit interesting that they find Reuvers as the better prospect

UW showed interest in Theo, and he visited campus at least once, but I do not believe the Badgers ever offered.

This thread is for updates on Reuvers' recruitment. If you want to discuss JP's recruitment or the appropriate names for Richard Pitino, we encourage you to start a new thread. To ensure those that want updates on Reuvers' recruitment, we will delete new posts not on topic in this thread. Thank you.

I just watched a video on Theo John. Wow!!! He looks like he has already grown into his body. From only watching the video on John, I would say Reuvers can step out on the floor a little more, but hasn't grown into his body like John has at this time. Reuvers might be more like the Wisconsin big men have been the last few years. If we could land both of them, and I know we only have one scholarship at this time available, and next years class is as good as we expect it to be, things can be turned around in a hurry.

I just watched a video on Theo John. Wow!!! He looks like he has already grown into his body. From only watching the video on John, I would say Reuvers can step out on the floor a little more, but hasn't grown into his body like John has at this time. Reuvers might be more like the Wisconsin big men have been the last few years. If we could land both of them, and I know we only have one scholarship at this time available, and next years class is as good as we expect it to be, things can be turned around in a
hurry.

I'm guessing Coffey is better than anyone the Gophers have right now, not an outside shooter but getting to the basket he is something, with Coffey on the floor if the Gophers don't run every possible chance Pitino isn't doing his job.

Recruiting the local kid is always a two-edged sword.

I have always said I want the U to get the best players available. If that player is a local player, great. But, if the best player available is from out-of-state, so be it. But, coaches need to understand that if they pass up the local player, and he winds up having a good career somewhere else, the coach will never hear the end of it.

Some local players want to stay home -but others might want to get away from home and make their own way. You can't just assume that a local kids wants to play for the local school.

As far as 2017, it all depends on how many scholarships the Gophers have available. A big part of coaching - and recruiting - is making choices - offer kid #1 or kid #2. If the Gopher coaches think Reuvers can help the team, AND they have a scholarship available, then go after him.

Recruiting the local kid is always a two-edged sword.

I have always said I want the U to get the best players available. If that player is a local player, great. But, if the best player available is from out-of-state, so be it. But, coaches need to understand that if they pass up the local player, and he winds up having a good career somewhere else, the coach will never hear the end of it.

Some local players want to stay home -but others might want to get away from home and make their own way. You can't just assume that a local kids wants to play for the local school.

As far as 2017, it all depends on how many scholarships the Gophers have available. A big part of coaching - and recruiting - is making choices - offer kid #1 or kid #2. If the Gopher coaches think Reuvers can help the team, AND they have a scholarship available, then go after him.

I'm not saying you should only recruit local kids like our hockey team used to do....but it should be easier to recruit a local kid than a kid from Tennessee....unless you are a big name coach or a big time program. Just look at the kids Minnesota is going to be or has produced around this time...

Jones
Jones
Travis
Vaughn
Coffey
Trent
Macura
Johns
Hurt
Hurt
Reuvers

And I'm sure I'm missing many others. My point is that if you can close the borders you can have an excellent program with Minnesota kids bolstered with others from out of state. We need to get it to the point we are getting most of those kids...and losing only a few.

This thread is for updates on Reuvers' recruitment. If you want to discuss JP's recruitment or the appropriate names for Richard Pitino, we encourage you to start a new thread. To ensure those that want updates on Reuvers' recruitment, we will delete new posts not on topic in this thread. Thank you.

They are from the same town, families are friends, it is related like it or not.

Other thing I would like to note: probably not the right thread, but not sure it is worthy of it's own- Greg Gard was treated like a rock stat Fri. night in Rochester, signing autographs, photos with kids, etc.

I'm not saying you should only recruit local kids like our hockey team used to do....but it should be easier to recruit a local kid than a kid from Tennessee....unless you are a big name coach or a big time program. Just look at the kids Minnesota is going to be or has produced around this time...

Jones
Jones
Travis
Vaughn
Coffey
Trent
Macura
Johns
Hurt
Hurt
Reuvers

And I'm sure I'm missing many others. My point is that if you can close the borders you can have an excellent program with Minnesota kids bolstered with others from out of state. We need to get it to the point we are getting most of those kids...and losing only a few.

I'm not going to go over this again with stats like i have 3 or 4 other times over the last 2 years but we already land local talent(keeping top 100 guys home) at the average rate nationally. If we do better than the national rate great but we can't criticize our team for recruiting at the average rate amongst hometown kids unless you think we are better than anywhere else. (I would also argue that having only 1 d1 school in the state means we do better as staying home is solely defined by a top 100 kid staying in the same state he is from. so there are fewer d1 scholarships available in the state.)

Watching Reuvers this afternoon against Nikko and Maple Grove. Reuvers didn't do much at all in the low post. He mostly played around the free throw line and 3 point line. Maple Grove didn't have Nikko guard him at all and instead put smaller perimeter guys on him. Reuvers has very good court vision and made a couple real nice passes. Reuvers had 19 but really didn't shoot it well from the floor going 5-16 but he was 9-9 from the free throw line. There were a few times where he got pushed around and he will definitely need to keep putting on weight/muscle.

Lakeville North beats Maple Grove 60-49.
Reuvers 19 pts, 14 rebounds. FGA 5-16 (0-3 on 3's). 9-9 FT
Reed Nikko 6 pts, 5 rebounds, fouled out.

Lakeville North beats Maple Grove 60-49.
Reuvers 19 pts, 14 rebounds. FGA 5-16 (0-3 on 3's). 9-9 FT
Reed Nikko 6 pts, 5 rebounds, fouled out.
At least a couple of Nikko fouls were on him reaching in on Reuvers while he was the helpside defender.

Top Bottom