All Things Nathan Reuvers Recruitment Thread - UPDATED: wisconsin commit

Happ had a year of seasoning as a red shirt, not the most equal of comparisons.

Still a freshman. Everyone has the chance to redshirt.

It's basketball not football usually doesn't work like that. He had an extra year of development and was mentored by Kaminsky. Generally guys red shirt when they know they won't play, usually raw big men. I am sure Reuvers will get the same treatment, he needs to bulk up and could use the redshirt for that. Could be a very good player once he fills out, but the Big Ten will beat him up if he doesn't. As for the gophers in the 2017 and 18 classes there are plenty of talented local big men available where if we land a couple of them we will be just fine, not to mention Matthew Hurt the grand prize in 2019. Reuvers would've been a good get, but we weren't going to be able to sign everyone so some good players were going to get away. Sucks he went to Wisconsin

Still a freshman. Everyone has the chance to redshirt.

He was a sophomore with freshman eligibility - big difference. Happ had a huge advantage over Murphy and other true freshman. Not only was he a year older, he spent that year getting stronger with professional strength and nutrition staff, and he got to bang and learn every day in practice against the #9 and #18 picks in last year's NBA draft, all the while learning Ryan's system. Meanwhile, Murphy came to Minnesota fresh from playing high school ball in San Antonio and jumped into the college game without any of those advantages. As Madtown said, this is not the most equal of comparisons.

Happ had the advantages of playing on a better team with a better coaching staff and may just be a better player.

Technically speaking, it is correct that Murphy's production may be a bit more impressive at a younger age and didn't get the benefit of a redshirt year to develop.

Functionally speaking, it doesn't really matter since Murphy won't redshirt unless he suffers an injury. He could be an excellent player in his first year in Europe or the NBDL but it won't be in maroon & gold.

A Mike Bruesewetz want to be . Who cares ? A few parting shots at the Gophers shows his class will fit in well with the Badgers. A weak three who can't drive. They are a dime a dozen.
Funny how those dime a dozen get to the NCAA tournament more than our elite player at the U.

A Mike Bruesewetz want to be . Who cares ? A few parting shots at the Gophers shows his class will fit in well with the Badgers. A weak three who can't drive. They are a dime a dozen.

And he'll end up being a stretch 4 who buries threes. No matter how much you want to discredit him, top 100 4* recruits are, in fact not a dime a dozen. I'm just bummed he had to go to Wisconsin as opposed to Notre Dame. If he weren't coming here I hoped to at least get him out of the conference.

does this many people really care about a uw recruit? sheesh

He was a sophomore with freshman eligibility - big difference. Happ had a huge advantage over Murphy and other true freshman. Not only was he a year older, he spent that year getting stronger with professional strength and nutrition staff, and he got to bang and learn every day in practice against the #9 and #18 picks in last year's NBA draft, all the while learning Ryan's system. Meanwhile, Murphy came to Minnesota fresh from playing high school ball in San Antonio and jumped into the college game without any of those advantages. As Madtown said, this is not the most equal of comparisons.
Murphy could have redshirted last year and I would bet there would not have been a big difference in the win total.

hahaha this is the "We didn't want him anyway he's not that good" stage. In 3 years we'll probably go through the why didn't we sign him stage, this is why they're better than us cause we can't get hometown recruits(not true btw) stage ...etc.

hahaha this is the "We didn't want him anyway he's not that good" stage. In 3 years we'll probably go through the why didn't we sign him stage, this is why they're better than us cause we can't get hometown recruits(not true btw) stage ...etc.

I haven't seen many (if any) statements to the effect of "we didn't want him" or "he's not that good" here. The reality is that we have more high major prospects in-state over this year and the next few than we have roster spots available. Hopefully we are able to convince the best to stay here (Trent being the exception, he ain't comin') and hope that the ones we don't have room for don't turn out to be superstars somewhere else.

I haven't seen many (if any) statements to the effect of "we didn't want him" or "he's not that good" here. The reality is that we have more high major prospects in-state over this year and the next few than we have roster spots available. Hopefully we are able to convince the best to stay here (Trent being the exception, he ain't comin') and hope that the ones we don't have room for don't turn out to be superstars somewhere else.

+1. Well said. People like to develop their own narrative that they already disagree with and then start to argue with said narrative as Tim did.

Maybe I am in the minority on this, but the last time this happened, I was way more excited to have Rodney Williams, Royce White and Trevor Mbakwe, then Leuer, carrot top and the Princeton kid who all went to Wisconsin. It was unfortunate how it played out in a couple of those cases, but in terms of recruiting I would've gone to war with our three anytime of the week

"A Mike Bruesewetz want to be . Who cares ? A few parting shots at the Gophers shows his class will fit in well with the Badgers. A weak three who can't drive. They are a dime a dozen." - Blackhammer

"We didn't want him." - ethomasp31 (probably trolling, possibly sarcastic)

"They don't have Sims ranked yet. By the end of the summer the Mn rankings should be Trent, Sims, and then everybody else. I'd put John, Wright, Davison, Reuvers, and Mar about equal, all in the 100-ish range." -WanderingGopher

These where what I was responding too. I know they are cherry picked but the sentiment that we didn't want him or didn't need him was out there. Anyway I see your points as well dpodoll68, El Amin Fan, and Bemidjigopher. I was just trying to make fun of that sentiment.

does this many people really care about a uw recruit? sheesh
He's gone what is the point in praising him.Or do it on the Badgers board. Reason I dissed him is just that , he is a Badger.

per Sid:

And the word is that the Gophers decided not to go hard on recruiting Lakeville North star Nathan Reuvers, who committed to Wisconsin, because they are concentrating on signing Jericho Sims, a 2017 recruit from Cristo Rey Jesuit High School in Minneapolis, who they believe has better potential. Sims’ father Charles Sims was one of the best basketball players for the Gophers from 1971 to ’75.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-fans-are-lucky-that-the-team-still-is-here/383205701/

Go Gophers!!

This probably doesn't mean anything but the Reuvers' were having a big party this past weekend (we live on the same street but down a mile or so south) and the entire outside of the house was decked out with Notre Dame memorabilia. They normally hang a HUGE ND sign on the front of the house and it was there, ND yard signs were all over the lawn, a big ND tent/awning was up and a lot of the chairs had the ND logo. I was assuming it was a graduation party so I was wondering if perhaps Nathan had switched to ND. It's very possible all of this ND garb is simply things the family has around the house seeing that Nathan's father is a ND alum but I found it interesting as we drove by. I didn't see one thing Badger related but then again I only saw items that stood out as we passed.

This probably doesn't mean anything but the Reuvers' were having a big party this past weekend (we live on the same street but down a mile or so south) and the entire outside of the house was decked out with Notre Dame memorabilia. They normally hang a HUGE ND sign on the front of the house and it was there, ND yard signs were all over the lawn, a big ND tent/awning was up and a lot of the chairs had the ND logo. I was assuming it was a graduation party so I was wondering if perhaps Nathan had switched to ND. It's very possible all of this ND garb is simply things the family has around the house seeing that Nathan's father is a ND alum but I found it interesting as we drove by. I didn't see one thing Badger related but then again I only saw items that stood out as we passed.

Looks like his brother graduated HS and is going to ND next year. Looks like they really go all out:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

"A Mike Bruesewetz want to be . Who cares ? A few parting shots at the Gophers shows his class will fit in well with the Badgers. A weak three who can't drive. They are a dime a dozen." - Blackhammer

"We didn't want him." - ethomasp31 (probably trolling, possibly sarcastic)

"They don't have Sims ranked yet. By the end of the summer the Mn rankings should be Trent, Sims, and then everybody else. I'd put John, Wright, Davison, Reuvers, and Mar about equal, all in the 100-ish range." -WanderingGopher

These where what I was responding too. I know they are cherry picked but the sentiment that we didn't want him or didn't need him was out there. Anyway I see your points as well dpodoll68, El Amin Fan, and Bemidjigopher. I was just trying to make fun of that sentiment.

The first one could be used to make your point. The second one was obviously sarcastic....not even close. The third one is some analysis and doesn't say gophers didn't want him at all. Your post is a bit of a reach.

Looks like his brother graduated HS and is going to ND next year. Looks like they really go all out:

Go Gophers!!

That makes sense. Thanks.

Geez. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a long hard look at a ND offer if it came.

Top Bottom