WBB: Minnesota Daily-Hedstrom's Role Growing

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.mndaily.com/sports/womens-basketball/2015/12/10/hedstrom’s-role-growing

Gophers junior guard Joanna Hedstrom is finally seeing more time on the court than on the bench.

Hedstrom has played in all seven games this season, starting three and averaging 24.4 minutes per game. Her first two years on campus she averaged 7.8.

“It really is exciting to be able to see that hard work from the first few years pay off with minutes,” Hedstrom said. “But what I’m really focused more on is whatever I can do for the team. … Every game I’ve kind of played a different position, and so I’m ready in whichever way we need.”

Hedstrom, who is listed as a guard, played point guard in high school in Minnetonka, Minn., and holds the scoring and assist records for Minnetonka High School.

She’s played all over the court this season, though, seeing time at forward and at center while the team experiments with its frontcourt rotation.

“This year, some people in [the three and four] positions are out injured, or they’re new to the program, so it’s an opportunity for her to use her experience and her ability to score and her knowledge in all those positions to basically earn the minutes,” Gophers head coach Marlene Stollings said.

Top Bottom