WBB: Weekly RPI

Shades: good catch. It is 87. I'll make the correction. I listed the wrong column. I should of just looked in the NCAA nitty-gritty report.

I noticed in the latest AP poll that Minnesota received 3 points. This most likely means 3 media people ranked Minnesota as the #25 team. This is the same amount of points that Purdue received. Big 10 teams with higher rpi's like Indy, Neb, Iowa, and NW all received 0 points. It would appear that Minnesota is passing the eye test, at least to some.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1

I just found out that it was Debbie Antonelli who voted for the Gophers at #23. That would account for the 3 pts. She's very influential so it's good to have her in the Gophers corner.

I noticed that Minnesota only gained 5 pts to #81 after the big win over Nebraska.
That's a little disappointing to me. I thought they'd be in the low 70's. Nebraska is still above us at #75.

I noticed that Minnesota only gained 5 pts to #81 after the big win over Nebraska.
That's a little disappointing to me. I thought they'd be in the low 70's. Nebraska is still above us at #75.

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/DI WBB Nitty Gritty 2-11-16.pdf

Today's nitty-gritty report with RPI and Strength of Schedule. The Gophers SOS did take a jump even as the RPI creeps.

Here's are the Gophers and their remaining opponents.

Gophers RPI: 81 SOS; 152 B1G: 9-4

Iowa: RPI: 53; SOS; 27; B1G: 5-8

Indiana RPI: 42; SOS: 41; B1G: 8-5

Michigan State RPI: 27; SOS: 54; B1G 9-4

Ohio State RPI: 5; SOS: 3; B1G: 12-1

Maryland RPI: 11; SOS: 61; B1G: 11-2

Week over Week Monday RPI (2/15/16): We’ll do it tomorrow after the Gopher/Iowa game.

4 Ohio State: 13-1
11 Maryland: 12-2
25 Michigan State: 9-5
40 Rutgers: 7-7
43 Indiana: 9-5
51 Purdue: 7-7
57 Iowa: 5-8
74 Nebraska: 8-6
77 Michigan: 7-7
81 Minnesota: 9-4
87 Northwestern: 3-11
131 Penn State: 4-10
148 Wisconsin: 3-11
166 Illinios: 1-13

Standings:

13-1: Ohio State
12-2: Maryland
9-4: Minnesota
9-5: Michigan State, Indiana
8-6: Nebraska
7-7: Purdue, Rutgers, Michigan
5-8: Iowa
4-10: Penn State
3-11: Northwestern, Wisconsin
1-13: Illinois

RPI Through Monday’s (Gopher victory) Games (2/15/16): This is from the NCAA nitty-gritty report and oddly there is some variation with their RPI report. The parenthesis number is Strength of Schedule (SOS).

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/DI WBB Nitty Gritty 2-15-16.pdf

5 Ohio State: 13-1 (4)
11 Maryland: 12-2 (59)
32 Michigan State: 9-5 (53)
41 Rutgers: 7-7 (26)
47 Indiana: 9-5 (64)
57 Iowa: 5-9 (24) Iowa stayed the same
59 Purdue: 7-7 (51)
65 Michigan: 7-7 (37) The Wolverines made a big jump.
69 Nebraska: 8-6 (124)
76 Minnesota: 10-4 (150)
90 Northwestern: 3-11 (42)
130 Penn State: 4-10 (21)
151 Wisconsin: 3-11 (19)
163 Illinios: 1-13 (10)

Standings:

13-1: Ohio State
12-2: Maryland
10-4: Minnesota
9-5: Michigan State, Indiana
8-6: Nebraska
7-7: Purdue, Rutgers, Michigan
5-9: Iowa
4-10: Penn State
3-11: Northwestern, Wisconsin
1-13: Illinois

2 more wins should do it

The Gopher women have taken care of business in their last 3 games, avoiding the bad loss @ Northwestern, then following it with wins over fellow bubble teams (Nebraska, Iowa) with middlin' RPIs like the Gophers have. They've put themselves in pretty good position despite the poor schedule strength.

Win @ Indiana & then win 1 of the other 3, then have to believe they're safe heading to the B1G Tournament. They'd be 12-6 with a minimum of 3 or 4 RPI top-50 wins and a road/neutral record right around .500. Those would be pretty decent bubble numbers. That'd probably be enough for the committee to forgive the weak non-conference & overall schedule numbers.

Winning @ Maryland or at home vs. Ohio State would be the preferred options for the 2nd win. The Michigan State result not quite as important so long as Gophers beat the Terps or Buckeyes after that.

The Gopher women have taken care of business in their last 3 games, avoiding the bad loss @ Northwestern, then following it with wins over fellow bubble teams (Nebraska, Iowa) with middlin' RPIs like the Gophers have. They've put themselves in pretty good position despite the poor schedule strength.

Win @ Indiana & then win 1 of the other 3, then have to believe they're safe heading to the B1G Tournament. They'd be 12-6 with a minimum of 3 or 4 RPI top-50 wins and a road/neutral record right around .500. Those would be pretty decent bubble numbers. That'd probably be enough for the committee to forgive the weak non-conference schedule.

Winning @ Maryland or at home vs. Ohio State would be the preferred options. The Michigan State result not as important so long as Gophers beat the Terps or Buckeyes after that.

Pretty tall order, but the team is getting the look of one of "destiny." They are earning the wins and not falling into them, and they have a star carrying the load. Last night the will to win with all those lead changes in the last minute was amazing. I long to see that in the men's program. Would be really nice to knock of Friese (sp ?). As a grudge holder, I still haven't forgotten her brief history here.

Today’s Charlie Crème’s bracketology projects five B1G teams in the tournament: Ohio State (2 seed), Maryland (3), Michigan State (8), Indiana (9) and Purdue, yes, Purdue, (11). Crème has Rutgers and Iowa among the first four out. He’s obviously bouncing uncomfortably between RPI and records for the B1G representatives. Of note: For now, he’s projecting 9 SEC teams as tourney worthy.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

Has anyone seen anything that holds whoever crafted this schedule accountable for it? If the ACL and not having any posts weren't enough, Rachel Banham is also basically having to almost single-handedly conquer that littered-with-300-RPI-teams schedule, too.

Has anyone seen anything that holds whoever crafted this schedule accountable for it? If the ACL and not having any posts weren't enough, Rachel Banham is also basically having to almost single-handedly conquer that littered-with-300-RPI-teams schedule, too.

For what its worth, I remember Stollings saying early in the season that the schedule was partly inherited (I'm assuming Kent State for instance). I also think it was set up to allow the team to develop new post players, get Rachel back in the groove and survive until Starr was eligible.

That said, (I think I agree with Selection Sunday on this) losing to New Mexico at home is the primary problem (and it didn't help that Duke went on the skids). Nevertheless, they have every chance to make the tourney. And if they keep playing like this, the selection committee will likely see the conference team as a much better team than their non-conference effort.

Not RPI but it's worth noting that Sagarin now has the Gophers in the top 50 -- and I believe the NCAA has indicated that it's one of the factors they consider, in addition to RPI.

Debbie Antonelli ranked the Gophers #20 in the AP poll, giving them a total of 6 pts. Nobody else ranked the Gophers in the top 25.

Gophers flip-flop with a team several of them likely enjoy seeing in their rear-view mirror: Vanderbilt. Indiana, with their 17 wins and decent schedule, will help matters. In fact, all of the remaining games should help matters.

Monday, week over week, RPI (2/22) with (SOS)
https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/DI WBB Nitty Gritty 2-21-16.pdf

5 (4) Ohio State: 15-1
11 (53) Maryland: 14-2
23 (47) Michigan State: 11-5
46 (56) Indiana: 10-6
53 (13) Rutgers: 8-8
55 (24) Iowa: 7-9
57 (57) Purdue: 8-8
67 (27) Michigan: 8-8
79 (127) Minnesota: 10-6
84 (107) Nebraska: 8-8
106 (69) Northwestern: 4-12
130 (30) Penn State: 5-11
150 (14) Illinois: 2-14
179 (40) Wisconsin: 3-13

Standings:

15-1 Ohio State
14-2 Maryland
11-5 Michigan State
10-6 Minnesota, Indiana
8-8 Rutgers, Purdue, Michigan, Nebraska
7-9 Iowa
5-11 Penn State
4-12 Northwestern
3-13 Wisconsin
2-14 Illinois

Through Thursday’s Games (One B1G Game Remaining).
RPI (SOS)

5 (4) Ohio State: 15-2
11 (64) Maryland: 15-2
25 (62) Michigan State: 12-5
38 (47) Indiana: 11-6
56 (15) Rutgers: 7-10
57 (57) Purdue: 9-8
58 (32) Iowa: 7-10
59 (30) Michigan: 9-8
73 (113) Minnesota: 11-6
90 (98) Nebraska: 8-9
115 (70) Northwestern: 4-13
125 (33) Penn State: 6-11
157 (8) Illinois: 2-15
176 (21) Wisconsin: 3-14

Standings:

15-2 Ohio State, Maryland
12-5 Michigan State
11-6 Minnesota, Indiana

9-8 Purdue, Michigan
8-9 Nebraska
7-10 Rutgers, Iowa
6-11 Penn State

4-13 Northwestern
3-14 Wisconsin
2-15 Illinois

#73? I thought it was #70? ...This.RPI thing is really starting to piss me off.

It was; but this is through last nights games including in the B1G; Purdue beating Rutgers in OT and Maryland defeating Wisconsin.

Minnesota like all bubble teams has a story to sell the selection committee.

It was; but this is through last nights games including in the B1G; Purdue beating Rutgers in OT and Maryland defeating Wisconsin.

Minnesota like all bubble teams has a story to sell the selection committee.

The Gopher's story might be the most exciting player offensively in the country.

Maryland is beatable. Wisconsin sucks and they only lost by 6 in College Park. Win this one and then a bid becomes at worst probably a 50-50 proposition.

Maryland is beatable. Wisconsin sucks and they only lost by 6 in College Park. Win this one and then a bid becomes at worst probably a 50-50 proposition.

SS you follow this more closely than me, but I would think closing season victories over oh st and maryland would put them way above 50-50. More like a sure thing.

Oregon's bad loss to (bad) Cal tonight, followed by a likely loss to Stanford, is not bad news for the Gophers' hopes.

Oregon's bad loss to (bad) Cal tonight, followed by a likely loss to Stanford, is not bad news for the Gophers' hopes.

Oregon lost a key player to an ACL, so they might struggle to win another game.

Some Recent RPI History (or I had to look)

Back in 2014 (Pam’s final rodeo) the Gophers finished 9-9 in conference with a 46 RPI and a 24 SOS. In the B1G tourney, Minnesota defeated Wisconsin before losing to Nebraska. Nevertheless, Minnesota was disappointed on Selection Sunday. The Gophers, generally thought to be on the wrong side of the bubble, received no invitation to dance.

Two of the teams bumping the Gophers from the field were; Florida (9-9 conference) with a 63 RPI and a 53 (SOS) and Oklahoma (9-10 in conference) with a 61 RPI and (17) SOS. It’s obvious the committee hung its collective hat on a team’s record versus the top 25 RPI. Florida was 3-6, Oklahoma was 2-9 and Minnesota 0-6. In the NCAA, Oklahoma lost to DePaul while Florida defeated Dayton before losing to Penn State.

I’m not sure what we can draw from this because the selection committee and the criteria emphasized may differ from year to year; but the winning B1G record and the win versus Ohio State were important. I just wish the B1G’s conference RPI wasn’t fifth.

Top Bottom