WBB: Stollings Reimburses Minnesota

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29225616/gophers-coach-marlene-stollings-reimbursed-u-moving

Marlene reimburses the U as does Richard.

University of Minnesota women's basketball coach Marlene Stollings said Wednesday she has reimbursed the school for the $1,981 worth for hair styling, makeup, shoes and clothing the school bought her prior to her introductory news conference in 2014.

Receipts for those expenses were released as part of an athletics department audit, the results of which were presented to the Board of Regents on Tuesday. The expenses, charged to interim athletics director Beth Goetz, were among dozens considered to have violated school policy.

"For me it was simply I came in on my press conference and they purchased those things for me," Stollings said. "Then it was brought to attention that it's not really something they should've done."

Men's basketball coach Richard Pitino also has reimbursed the school for a bill of more than $2,200 to drive his family's dog from Florida to Minnesota after he was hired in April 2013.

Based on last night's results, Little Rick should pay back some of his $400,000 raise he got this year. If he does not pay it back, he should at least donate it to charity. Only at the U of M (University of Mediocrity) does a guy get a $400,000 raise after going 25-13 in year one and then going 18-15 in year two and it looks like even worse in year 3.

Based on last night's results, Little Rick should pay back some of his $400,000 raise he got this year. If he does not pay it back, he should at least donate it to charity. Only at the U of M (University of Mediocrity) does a guy get a $400,000 raise after going 25-13 in year one and then going 18-15 in year two and it looks like even worse in year 3.

Some people like to think this is the case but it happens a lot more than you think. Mike Leach got a half million raise after 3-9 and 6-7 seasons. In his third season (after the raise) his team went 3-9 again.

Tim Miles just got a raise after going 13-18.

Pitino's salary is still towards the bottom of the Big Ten I believe.

How predictable.

Also, Reusse was making a HUGE deal about the FB coahes getting a bonus for making a bowl game. I would presume that was in their contracts...(?)....wouldn't want to honor contracts...

Looks like you'll add a lot. That "Little Rick" is just so clever.

Also, Reusse was making a HUGE deal about the FB coahes getting a bonus for making a bowl game. I would presume that was in their contracts...(?)....wouldn't want to honor contracts...

And in reality, its a bonus for great performances in the classroom. Oh the outrage.

University of Mediocrity? You're on the wrong fan site. This is a Gopher fan site.

This uproar over this stuff is ridiculous. I guarantee spending like this occurs at virtually every university and probably often at a much larger scale.

But there's nothing that gets a Minnesotan's undies in a knot more than the belief that someone wasted 'their' money. Did ou know Joe Mauer makes $23 million dollars a year and the U once paid $800K not to play a football game?

This uproar over this stuff is ridiculous. I guarantee spending like this occurs at virtually every university and probably often at a much larger scale.

But there's nothing that gets a Minnesotan's undies in a knot more than the belief that someone wasted 'their' money. Did ou know Joe Mauer makes $23 million dollars a year and the U once paid $800K not to play a football game?

AND there was far less outrage over spending half a Billion dollars, in taxpayer money, to build a stadium for some racketeer from Jersey.

AND there was far less outrage over spending half a Billion dollars, in taxpayer money, to build a stadium for some racketeer from Jersey.

You'd think the Star Tribune would have been all over that one. It's like the stood to again from the deal or something.

I have yet to see a single person claiming that Joe Mauer's salary is a waste of "their" money, but nice try. Just admit that you don't understand the concept of allocating a budget and move on.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29225616/gophers-coach-marlene-stollings-reimbursed-u-moving
Men's basketball coach Richard Pitino also has reimbursed the school for a bill of more than $2,200 to drive his family's dog from Florida to Minnesota after he was hired in April 2013.[/I]

So besides the point of it costing $2000 to move a dog from Florida to Minnesota, is Minnesota not paying the moving expenses of it hires? I find it hard to believe that we don't give a relocation budget to incoming science professors let alone coaches of a revenue generating sport.

I look forward to when the Minnesota football and basketball teams are at least mediocre, feels like a huge step up from the current status.

So besides the point of it costing $2000 to move a dog from Florida to Minnesota, is Minnesota not paying the moving expenses of it hires? I find it hard to believe that we don't give a relocation budget to incoming science professors let alone coaches of a revenue generating sport.

Yes there is a suggested relocation budget. Here, in auditor speak, is a section from the report (emphasis added):

3. There are numerous expenditures being incurred by ICA that, while not unallowable by University policy, warrant further consideration as to their appropriateness and business need…

A partial payment to a senior ICA official for moving expenses of $11,500 was based on an estimate from the moving company instead of the final bill. In total, the employee received relocation expenses of $19,322, well in excess of the $11,250 recommended by University policy. While the former athletics director approved each relocation expense payment, there was nothing in the offer letter to the employee addressing the payment of relocation expenses or the maximum amount to be paid.

I look forward to when the Minnesota football and basketball teams are at least mediocre, feels like a huge step up from the current status.

Gopher football has a longer current bowl streak than Ohio State and Iowa.

Yes there is a suggested relocation budget. Here, in auditor speak, is a section from the report (emphasis added):

Thank you,
I find it strange that the offer letter wouldn't address that. Oh well live and learn.

I have yet to see a single person claiming that Joe Mauer's salary is a waste of "their" money, but nice try. Just admit that you don't understand the concept of allocating a budget and move on.

Please. It's done all the time, even if indirectly. 'We paid for their stadium, and this is how they waste the money' etc. etc.

Not trying to derail the thread by making it about Mauer. There are certain things the public gets fixated on, and those are two. The Strib knows how to play to their audience. This is not a big deal, but they'll make it one. Same with the $50K for the Bowl game.

Did you know the U once paid $800K not to play a football game?

What? This is an outrage! I am going to make snide comments about this after our next football non-conference loss, shortly after my impassioned rant about how our quarterback would be a benchwarmer on my local high school team. The Strib comment section will remember the name Cayman for years to come.

Top Bottom