Gophers Sweep Ohio State in OT 5-4

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Okay, Bristedt’s overtime game winner capping a wild shooting scramble was just plain fun. As was the 3rd period and the last eight minutes of the second that we saw after arriving from volleyball. Yes, Collins took an dumb checking from behind penalty to set up a 5:00 OSU minute power play; but it just added to the drama.

Thrilling game and a great way to finish a sweep of a conference foe. Here are some post-game quotes.

Don Lucia
“That’s what you expect. The games are going to be tight. Especially when you win on Friday, the team that loses is going to have a lot of resolve. We had the start we wanted with the 1-0 lead. We had some chances to maybe extend it, we didn’t. They had a good push in the second period. I thought Kloos’ goal was really important for us to get our footing back underneath us.

“We had another great start to the third period. They pulled within one on what was kinda a lucky play. Obviously the five-minute major, our guys battled their rear off until the end. I think if it would have been a five on four not a six on four we might have been able to kill it all the way off. They guys did a good job hanging in there to at least give us a chance to get to overtime. Just a battle goal in overtime. I don’t know how many whacks they had around the net but they stayed with it and stayed on the hunt. It was a great way for us to finish the weekend in overtime again.”

Leon Bristedt
On the emotions that went through his mind after scoring the game winner:
“Holy cow. It’s pure happiness and a relief. We battled so hard in that PK. We killed it off for four minutes and forty seconds or something and they got that goal. That was really tough. Then coming back out that first or second shift and ending the game the way we did. How we got that goal, we probably had like six shots in three seconds, we never gave up on the play, and it just ended up in the net. It’s just a great feeling. There’s nothing better than ending a weekend in an overtime win.”

On what it says about the team winning two OT games:
“It tells us we have what we want. I know that we have a group of guys that will be able to win. Maybe we haven’t really proved that yet but definitely have the talent, we definitely have the right guys and now it’s like making a puzzle. Just have to fit the pieces together, I feel. We’re starting to come along and the puzzle is starting to look pretty good.”

On the difference in the emotion of the locker room from last weekend to this weekend:
“Winning and losing is like night and day. It’s completely opposite. After a sweep you feel good about yourself, you’re energized, you’re pumped. You can’t really feel that you played two games because your body is light but after losing you’re tired, you’re heavy, you’re thinking and over thinking too much. Obviously you put the music on in the locker room after a win and everyone is just happy.”

Justin Kloos
“Obviously it was pretty nuts out there. Hopefully the fans enjoyed an excited game. They all count. We’re just happy right now. Obviously you don’t like putting yourself in the situation, giving up another two-goal lead in the third period but it’s a win. It would have looked the same if we had won 4-2.”

On scoring a career-high four points:
“It feels good just to contribute. I’ve been struggling individually to get on the score sheet for whatever reason. I was happy to contribute and I thought my line mates played great.”

Three Stars
3 – Tyler Sheehy scored two goals and had an assist.

2 –Justin Kloos notched a career-high four points (1g, 3a).

1 – Leon Bristedt scored the game winner in overtime and added another assist.

What’s Next
The Gophers finish the first half of the season in Ann Arbor against the Michigan Wolverines.

Top Bottom