Gophers Rally in Third Period, Beat OSU in OT

Reaction score
Minnesota scored two goals in the third period to force overtime and Hudson Fasching won the game just 1:08 into the extra session. The Gophers topped Ohio State, 3-2, to open the Big Ten season with a victory.

Quotes and Notes
Don Lucia
"We had some good looks throughout the game. Just struggled to score goals. The key moment was when Tyler [Sheehy] tipped in the goal to make it two to one. All of a sudden it lifts up your bench and gives you some momentum. Obviously the power play, it was inevitable the opportunities they had, the crowd was into the game, to tie it 2-2. Nice play in overtime with Hudson [Fasching], one of the leaders finishing it off. It was a good win, first in the Big Ten, and to score three goals to finish out the game. We talk about getting to three to win."

Hudson Fasching
“We thought we were playing pretty well, honestly. We were moving pretty well out there. We had good speed, good intensity. We were really active on the bench today which was really good for us. We just couldn’t get the goals right away but we kept working for them and eventually the tide kind of turned and the goals went our way.”

On what he saw for the game-winning goal in overtime:
“I saw Tommy [Novak] wheeling and I knew he was going to make it around the back the net. I just kind of slowed down and parked in the high slot area and just kind of moved down there. He made a perfect pass right in the wheelhouse. It was a great play by him.”

On the defensemen being more active in the third period:
“That was something we really wanted to work on. We have really offensive defensemen. They’re very skilled, very talented. We wanted them in the play as much as we can; on the rush. We want them in the zone on offense, get them involved in the offense. They made a lot of plays today, created a lot of chances. It was good to see.”

Tommy Novak
On Fasching’s game-winging goal:
“It was definitely big, especially to start off Big Ten play. Obviously he has a great shot. I just came around the net and found him. He’s going to bury that most of the time.”

On what the win means after struggling recently:

“I think it’s really big because it’s Ohio State and the start of the Big Ten schedule. We’re trying to turn it around. We’ve been struggling a little bit lately but I think talking about a clean slate heading into the Big Ten schedule. I think it’s really big to have this win.”

Three Stars

3 – Steve Johnson finished with two assists and five shots.

2 – Tommy Novak had two points including the game-tying goal late in the third period.

1 – Hudson Fasching won the game in overtime.

By the Numbers

2013 The last time Minnesota won a game after trailing for two periods.

400 Career wins for Don Lucia, the most in Gopher hockey history.

15 Shots for Minnesota in the third period. Don Lucia talked about finishing stronger in the third period and the Gophers certainly did. OSU was held to only six shots in the final 20 minutes.

What’s Next

The Gophers will try to sweep Ohio State tomorrow at Mariucci. The puck will drop at 7:00 p.m.

Nice come from behind win. Very happy we got the W.

I'm glad Hudson mentioned the defensemen pressuring the offensive zone because they had a positive impact in the third period.

Great win. They showed a lot of heart. Ski-U-MAH!

Top Bottom