Ugh, Sean Foster de-commits from Minnesota

Well, to be fair, would you really want a coach that kept a recruit that didn't fit the scheme because he was rated highly on the services?

What's curious to me is that you make a move like this without waiting for the new coach. In other words, does it make sense for a defensive coordinator to be scouting OLs? I get that the approach and scheme is changing, but odd to just assume Foster can't fit.

I think any top lineman can play any scheme-- what are we moving from power running to only pass blocking-- it makes no sense and I agree with you that it is very off that this kid couldn't fit into whatever they are planning

I honestly enjoy everyone's optimism, that were going back to the Rose bowl in a year or two...(for the last 12 years), but I just don't see
this program getting to where we deserve it to be. Even hit & miss programs like NW end up in Pasadena every 20 years or so...
My only suggestion, is that everyone hop in the Earth Ascent Vehicle, and come back for splash down in the South Pacific.

What assets does UM have that justifies your belief that we deserve to be better than we are? What attraction (or detraction) does our Minneapolis campus have that Madison or Iowa City or Lincoln don't have? Until we figure out why we can't attract enough talent and enough depth to be a perennial BiG competitor, we won't be.

I am officially starting to regret hiring of Claeys. If we knew we were going to lose 1/5 of the class within a few weeks we might as well searched for the best coach available. This hire had all the reasoning of keeping the staff together and keeping the "great" recrutiing class intact. Foster was in my opinion the best out of state recruit and to lose him is a huge blow

If you think that by not hiring Claeys and keeping the recruits guessing on who the new coach would be, then you're mistaken. Those kids would have backed out eventually anyways if there was no set coach, as it's obvious they were very shaky in their commitment. In fact, I think we would have lost more recruits had Claeys not been hired. I'm thinking some of these de-commits may have more to the story, like Sean Foster.

Sean Foster was all for MN, until he had a talk with the coaches. He basically said after talking to the coaches, that it was in his best interest, which leads me to believe it might have been a mutual situation. True, how does Claeys decide that without already knowing the next OL coach or OC? Unless Claeys already has a clear cut direction he wants to go.

How about we wait until we actually announce an OC and sign our 2016 recruiting class before we all jump off the bridge.

On second thought, some of you guys should probably just jump now.

Last year was the ceiling for this program.
Our goal is to get to 8 wins and think it's spectacular.
With only the non-conf games in the future, we should be happy with 5-7. That's why we have Tracy Claeys where other Big Ten schools get Harbaugh, Dantonio, Urban Meyer.... you know... actual head coaches. Coaches that players might actually want to play for.

stay away from tall buildings and sharp objects

I think any top lineman can play any scheme-- what are we moving from power running to only pass blocking-- it makes no sense and I agree with you that it is very off that this kid couldn't fit into whatever they are planning

Maybe it has less to do with scheme. I can tell you that some insiders from some of our neighbors didn't think Foster was that good. The fact is that very few of Limey's OL recruits panned out, other than ones who had offers from those neighbors. Maybe we just weren't good judges of talent on the OL, and Claeys could see it and knows why. Maybe he kept his mouth shut and focused on his role in the staff. He's got a lot riding on these decisions, and I doubt they were made flippantly. He's doing it the best way he knows how, and it would be nice if the panicky folks here would reserve a tiny bit of judgement until we see the results on the field.
Coaching is important, and maybe Matt was a good coach. Maybe it was the players themselves.

I'm not worried. It honestly looks mutual, unless people at the U are straight up lying. He was favoriting pro gopher tweets last night.

I am officially starting to regret hiring of Claeys. If we knew we were going to lose 1/5 of the class within a few weeks we might as well searched for the best coach available. This hire had all the reasoning of keeping the staff together and keeping the "great" recrutiing class intact. Foster was in my opinion the best out of state recruit and to lose him is a huge blow

Foster may turn out to be a great OL somewhere else. Who knows.

I don't think TC went into this one without feedback. From whom? Likely the OC and possible OL that he has ready to come on board. Plus TC knows what he wants in an OL. He has seen plenty of them over the years while planning a D scheme. Some reliable sources of GI have stated that TC has his guy(s) but no announcement until after the bowl games.

I always love this argument.

When they're 18 and playing for your favorite college team, it's by all means OK to obsess about them constantly. But do it when their only 17 and in high school, and *that* makes it "weird" or "creepy."

This is right up there with the people that log on after a particularly devastating loss and chastise people for "taking sports too seriously" as some of the dumbest messageboard commentary that you will every see.

Well stated. Always found it funny that it is considered creepy to follow 18 year old HS kid very closely but the minute they step on campus and play their first snaps, it's fair game. There is not much of an age difference between recruits and the younger contributors on this team. Is it creepy if Demry Croft or Rashad Still is my favorite player on the team? Is really more or less creepy now than if they were my two favorite recruits at this time last year?

I don't think TC went into this one without feedback. From whom? Likely the OC and possible OL that he has ready to come on board. Plus TC knows what he wants in an OL. He has seen plenty of them over the years while planning a D scheme. Some reliable sources of GI have stated that TC has his guy(s) but no announcement until after the bowl games.

Wait, so you mean there are things going on behind the scenes? And we are not privy to some of these facts? And Claeys make in fact have a plan and is not just firing people willy nilly?

If that part is true and we do make a bowl game it is going to put our current offensive staff in an interesting position trying to get ready without two key members of the offensive staff.

Wait, so you mean there are things going on behind the scenes? And we are not privy to some of these facts? And Claeys make in fact have a plan and is not just firing people willy nilly?

How's that "voice of reason" thing going for you Barn Boy?:cool:

How about we wait until we actually announce an OC and sign our 2016 recruiting class before we all jump off the bridge.

On second thought, some of you guys should probably just jump now.

It is called the Chicken Little Syndrome and that is what we do best at the GopherHole. Pathetic!

Reading some of these posts it appears Tracy Claeys's honeymoon period lasted a week.

This. There's really only two possibilities here:

1) The decommit ISN'T mutual and Foster is leaving because of Limegrover's firing. This would mean that "inside" sources are lying and Foster is the nicest kid in the world for wording his Twitter message as he did and continuing to LIKE Gopher-positive posts last night before "the talk"; OR

2) The incoming OC and OL coach are already basically hired and a) have other recruits they plan to bring with them, b) they've scouted Foster and don't think he's as good as those recruits or isn't worth a scholarship in their scheme.

Through my M&G glasses, I'm choosing to believe #2. I could be wrong. None of us know.

Lets all calm down.

Obviously Chip Kelly is coming to be our OC and we need a faster O-Line

1) The decommit ISN'T mutual and Foster is leaving because of Limegrover's firing. This would mean that "inside" sources are lying and Foster is the nicest kid in the world for wording his Twitter message as he did and continuing to LIKE Gopher-positive posts last night before "the talk"; OR

2) The incoming OC and OL coach are already basically hired and a) have other recruits they plan to bring with them, b) they've scouted Foster and don't think he's as good as those recruits or isn't worth a scholarship in their scheme.

Through my M&G glasses, I'm choosing to believe #2. I could be wrong. None of us know.

It can absolutely be 3) Claeys had a different opinion of Foster than ML.

How's that "voice of reason" thing going for you Barn Boy?:cool:

Not well.

Seems that we are all fans. Even the most critical of posters. But there are definitely different approaches that are taken.

I'm the "glass-half-full", "rose-colored glasses" moron, I guess. I reserve criticism for things that are in the past tense and actually happened. I didn't like the Michigan goal-line debacle. Fair game. We have been at the bottom of D1 in offensive production for much of this year. Criticize away.

But projecting onto next year because of the news of this week... Nah. Let 'em play the games.

Yeah, I get it. I should know better. I'm a veteran on this site.

Re the new OC - he should have been lined up. Always better to have the new coach in sight before firing the old one: Mason/Brewster is a negative example.

Even through my very lightly shaded M&G glasses, #2 is the correct answer. If anyone thinks Claeys is doing this all without a plan in place, you are nuts. More nuts than me.

Re the new OC - he should have been lined up. Always better to have the new coach in sight before firing the old one: Mason/Brewster is a negative example.
And how do you know that's not the case? There may be contractual reasons or PR reasons why it's not being announced.

Even through my very lightly shaded M&G glasses, #2 is the correct answer. If anyone thinks Claeys is doing this all without a plan in place, you are nuts. More nuts than me.

I dunno. Pretty sure we read identical posts when Teague fired Tubby. You had to be nuts to think a plan wasn't in place and that Teague knew who he wanted to hire. Then...

How about we wait until we actually announce an OC and sign our 2016 recruiting class before we all jump off the bridge. On second thought, some of you guys should probably just jump now.

I got some great bridge recommendations!

I think most people-- at least what I think are finding it strange a highly recruited kid like Foster couldn't fit into whatever scheme they can find. Also, the fact we lose so many OL (I think 7 with the couple Jr's leaving) that this kid may have been able to play right away much like Moore did this year. Whatever plan Claeys has better including adding quality lineman which at this time of year are tough to come by. Claeys has no reason to have an off year in recruiting as this was sold as a seemless transition from Kill to Claeys

Obviously coaches think differently.

Last year was the ceiling for this program.
Our goal is to get to 8 wins and think it's spectacular.
With only the non-conf games in the future, we should be happy with 5-7. That's why we have Tracy Claeys where other Big Ten schools get Harbaugh, Dantonio, Urban Meyer.... you know... actual head coaches. Coaches that players might actually want to play for.

Nice, you brought up three of the top coaches in the country.

The ceiling is the playoffs just like everyone else. We crushed Iowa last year and many Iowa fans wanted Ferentz gone. Now look where they are. I refuse to believe that 8 wins is the ceiling.

Top Bottom