Looks like we are going bowling

gophers141

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...-bowl-invite-after-ncaa-decision-on-5-7-teams

Nebraska's 985 APR leads all five-win programs, followed by K-State (976), Missouri (976), Minnesota (975), San Jose State (975), Illinois (973) and Rice (973).

Missouri announced Monday that it will not play in a bowl game, aiding a pair of Big Ten teams. The Golden Gophers also appear set to get an invite regardless of the results Saturday. The Illini will receive an invitation if Georgia State and South Alabama lose on Saturday.

weird, a different article posted on Omaha.com explained nothing is for certain:

According to the NCAA press release, the organization "will not be involved in the process of selecting teams to bowl games but will create a pool of teams that are eligible to be selected by bowls looking for teams."

weird, a different article posted on Omaha.com explained nothing is for certain:

According to the NCAA press release, the organization "will not be involved in the process of selecting teams to bowl games but will create a pool of teams that are eligible to be selected by bowls looking for teams."

The statements aren't contradictory - the NCAA would create the pool based on the number of eligible teams required and top APR scores. They aren't saying, for example, Nebraska has to go to the Quick Lane Bowl which would be "selecting teams to bowl games".

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post...-bowl-invite-after-ncaa-decision-on-5-7-teams

Nebraska's 985 APR leads all five-win programs, followed by K-State (976), Missouri (976), Minnesota (975), San Jose State (975), Illinois (973) and Rice (973).

Missouri announced Monday that it will not play in a bowl game, aiding a pair of Big Ten teams. The Golden Gophers also appear set to get an invite regardless of the results Saturday. The Illini will receive an invitation if Georgia State and South Alabama lose on Saturday.

Yes, but it should be mentioned that there is no guarantee the administration would accept a bowl bid if one is offered. Missouri turned one down.

I wish they would revise the bowl tie ins when 5-7 teams are included. We probably shouldn't be playing a 7-5 ACC team. A 7-5 or 8-4 MACC or Sunbelt or Conference USA team would be more appropriate.

Just a thought - I wonder if there are players on mediocre to average teams like ours who have had enough football this time of year and would prefer not to have another month of practice. With the season being such a disappointment would they rather have more time for finals and just get on with their lives?

Posted this in another thread but if we do get a bowl invite and they in fact don't hire a new OC until after the bowl game it will put a big burden on the existing offensive staff to come up with a gameplan. Not sure exactly how that works with Limegrover and Zebrowski since they were told their contracts won't be renewed but I don't know if that means they technically have to work until the existing contract ends or if they are already gone.

Just a thought - I wonder if there are players on mediocre to average teams like ours who have had enough football this time of year and would prefer not to have another month of practice. With the season being such a disappointment would they rather have more time for finals and just get on with their lives?

Better question would be how many would have the balls to admit to it?

Yes, but it should be mentioned that there is no guarantee the administration would accept a bowl bid if one is offered. Missouri turned one down.

I wish they would revise the bowl tie ins when 5-7 teams are included. We probably shouldn't be playing a 7-5 ACC team. A 7-5 or 8-4 MACC or Sunbelt or Conference USA team would be more appropriate.

We played the 2nd toughest schedule in the country and you're worried about a 7-5 ACC team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We played the 2nd toughest schedule in the country and you're worried about a 7-5 ACC team?

Yes. We may have played a tough schedule but we beat only two power five teams and they had a combined 7-17 record. As to the strength of schedule, I agree that it was a tough one but that #2 ranking that you're giving is the only one I've seen that is that high.

You may recall that an 8-4 Minnesota team lost to a 6-6 ACC team two years ago.

Better question would be how many would have the balls to admit to it?
It would be real interesting to anonymously poll the players to find out how they see it, not just the Gophers players but all 5-7 teams. Some fans want to watch maximum games. But for the starting seniors who have been beat up after a full Power 5 season and the player development issue of bowl game practicing is irrelevant at this point, I can understand some preferring to catch up on school work at semester end vs. a month of practices for a largely irrelevant bowl game. With Bolwsby's comments this week regarding the future of bowl games, I wonder if the NCAA has already received off the record feedback from ADs or coaches about it.

So, if K-State, Georgia State and S. Alabama all win, there will still be 2 spots left to fill. The APR ranking of the remaining teams is:
985 - Nebraska
976 - Missouri (who has already stated that they would decline an invite)
975 - Minnesota
975 - San Jose State

So it does look like we are guaranteed a bowl spot unless a bowl were to choose San Jose State over us. The only circumstance that I could imagine that happening is if a vacant bowl slot were geographically close to San Jose and they felt that the Spartans fans would do a better job of filling seats.

So it does look like we are guaranteed a bowl spot unless a bowl were to choose San Jose State over us. The only circumstance that I could imagine that happening is if a vacant bowl slot were geographically close to San Jose and they felt that the Spartans fans would do a better job of filling seats.

A real possibility is the Foster Farms Bowl, played literally 10 minutes from the San Jose State campus, and I still think they would opt for Minnesota.

Announced attendance for SJSU this season:

I'm assuming Nebraska, Minnesota, and possibly Illinois will just fill the Foster Farms, Pinstripe and/or Quick Lane Bowls, but I haven't seen an explanation on whether B1G-affiliated bowls would be allowed to pick an at-large 6-6 rather than a 5-7 team granted an NCAA waiver.

So, if K-State, Georgia State and S. Alabama all win, there will still be 2 spots left to fill. The APR ranking of the remaining teams is:
985 - Nebraska
976 - Missouri (who has already stated that they would decline an invite)
975 - Minnesota
975 - San Jose State

With Missouri turning down the opportunity to play in a bowl I would say the odds are extremely high that we will be offered a game. I can't see our administration turning it down if we are. I would not expect much fan excitement but it seems pretty likely to happen at this point.

It would be real interesting to anonymously poll the players to find out how they see it, not just the Gophers players but all 5-7 teams. Some fans want to watch maximum games. But for the starting seniors who have been beat up after a full Power 5 season and the player development issue of bowl game practicing is irrelevant at this point, I can understand some preferring to catch up on school work at semester end vs. a month of practices for a largely irrelevant bowl game. With Bolwsby's comments this week regarding the future of bowl games, I wonder if the NCAA has already received off the record feedback from ADs or coaches about it.
You don't think the seniors would like the opportunity to go out with a win, especially the one's who don't have an NFL future which is most of them.

I had a lot of friends on the team in my time at the U. The bowl games are hardly even about football for most of them. It's the chance to travel somewhere warm with the team, they get to say they went to a bowl game and the sponsors give pretty awesome gifts to all of the players (X Boxes, headphones, TV sound bars etc.). I can't imagine many players not wanting to play another game let alone a bowl game.

Missed those comments. Could anyone summarize?

Some seniors would, even on a 5-7 team. That's why I would like to see the results of a poll, to find where the truth is from the players' perspective of bowl participation on a 5-7 or even a 6-6 team. But that won't happen in the NCAA.

Missouri ought to do the right thing and and close the University. Or at least change the mascot from The Tigers to The Cave-Ins.

I think when you're 5-7 and you beat your two gimmes on the schedule by a combined six points, you should worry about whomever you're playing.

OMG what happens when a 5-7 team beats a 6-6 team?

Missouri should change their fight song to "Feelings"

Does Claeys' contract have a bonus for going to bowl games (it seems like they are pretty common now)? If so, does it apply to his first year? A performance based incentive for going 1-4 and 0-3 in trophy games would smell really bad.

Top Bottom