Would you want the Gophers to go bowling at 5-7?

Would you want the Gophers in a bowl at 5-7?

• Absolutely - Yes!

Votes: 80 68.4%
  • Only if it was a beatable opponent.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • No way.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other (post your specific answer)

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters

But hard to understand how it could feel the same as it did in 2012.

Admittedly, my expectations for this season weren't as high as most. Results relative to the previous seasons are the only things that separate 2012 from 2015, other than us getting to 6 wins in '12 because we played New Hampshire instead of TCU. In fact, the Gophers were only competitive in one of their 6 Big Ten losses that year, and had three narrow non-con wins against subpar teams. As someone else pointed out, that Wolitarsky stretching one more foot would make such a difference in the perception of this bowl bid being deserved is kind of silly.

The bowl game in 2012 as a 2-6 team was entertaining, and I'm hoping for the same in 2015.

Admittedly, my expectations for this season weren't as high as most. Results relative to the previous seasons are the only things that separate 2012 from 2015, ..As someone else pointed out, that Wolitarsky stretching one more foot would make such a difference in the perception of this bowl bid being deserved is kind of silly..The bowl game in 2012 as a 2-6 team was entertaining, and I'm hoping for the same in 2015.

So is acting as if there is little difference between getting to a bowl after 2 seasons of 3-9 and two seasons of 8-5. "Silly" is pretending there is little or no difference. As for the "one foot" crap, it wasn't just one play. The Wolverines stopped the Gophers twice, after the Gophers pissed away the chance for 3 plays. One play could/would have resulted in losses to Colorado State, Kent State and Ohio too. Glad it didn't but playing the "what if" card always works both ways.

Go to the bowl game and enjoy it. Hope you're entertained by a win this year, not just the experience.

What it "feels" like and what actually happened are two different things.

Looking at things objectively, there isn't much difference between the 2012 results and the 2015 results -- like I said, there were some non-con games three years ago that could've gone the other way. Both years, we blew out Purdue and scored a late TD to put away Illinois, but the 2015 team was far more competitive in B1G play, and statistically much stronger. The league was weaker three years ago (8-6 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl!), and the Gophers were fortunate to get the bowl they did because OSU and PSU were ineligible.

Was this season a letdown after last year? Unquestionably. But I also don't see it as a step back from 2012, and I feel we are in great position for 8 or more wins next year with some better luck in the health department. Until then, let's get win #6.

What it "feels" like and what actually happened are two different things.

Looking at things objectively, there isn't much difference between the 2012 results and the 2015 results -- like I said, there were some non-con games three years ago that could've gone the other way. Both years, we blew out Purdue and scored a late TD to put away Illinois, but the 2015 team was far more competitive in B1G play, and statistically much stronger. The league was weaker three years ago (8-6 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl!), and the Gophers were fortunate to get the bowl they did because OSU and PSU were ineligible.

Was this season a letdown after last year? Unquestionably. But I also don't see it as a step back from 2012, and I feel we are in great position for 8 or more wins next year with some better luck in the health department. Until then, let's get win #6.

Ah, what? Who said anything about "feelings"? The record is, no matter how people want to spin it, 5-7, That is a big downgrade on two seasons of 8-5. 6-6 was a pretty decent upgrade on two seasons of 3-9. Oh and all three wins in the non-conference games this year could have gone the other way too. They didn't but playing the "it could have" game one way doesn't work.

Yes, hope they go to a bowl if offered and get to 6-7.

If they lose, how many posts should we expect to see from people telling us how similar 5-8 is to 8-5 anyway. ;)

Ah, what? Who said anything about "feelings"?

Um, you did? "But hard to understand how it could feel the same as it did in 2012."

What GGR and I are saying is, setting aside comparisons to previous seasons, the 2012 and 2015 teams essentially ended up in the same place despite a one-win difference in overall record. So there is no shame, for us, in participating in a bowl game if invited. Especially since the 2015 squad was clearly superior, in my view, for the reasons previously outlined.

I think you agree with me, but since I can't really decipher what your argument is other than 2013-14 > 2015, I will stop going in circles and step aside.

..What GGR and I are saying is, setting aside comparisons to previous seasons, .. I will stop going in circles and step aside.

Good idea. Hard to decipher the point if you continue to choice to ignore it.

Top Bottom