Would you want the Gophers to go bowling at 5-7?

Would you want the Gophers in a bowl at 5-7?

• Absolutely - Yes!

Votes: 80 68.4%
  • Only if it was a beatable opponent.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • No way.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other (post your specific answer)

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
As asterisk for making a bowl with a losing record in a year when bowl eligibility guidelines get thrown out the window. A year when teams that can muster 5 wins with 4 creampuffs have a chance to go to a bowl.

You are correct- the formidable Ohio University Bobcats are a D1 school (in the MAC)- my mistake. I forgot about their storied history.

If it's offered- Gophers should take it. But what an anticlimactic way to end a horrible season.

I am guessing the seniors on this team would love the chance to suit up one more time and play.

I am a gopher fan. If they play a game I will watch and cheer. Doesn't matter if they are 0-12 or 12-0.

As asterisk for making a bowl with a losing record in a year when bowl eligibility guidelines get thrown out the window. A year when teams that can muster 5 wins with 4 creampuffs have a chance to go to a bowl.

They're not throwing any guidelines out the window. The eligibility pool is expanded because there aren't enough 6-win teams. Why on earth would there be an asterisk?

A year when teams that can muster 5 wins with 4 creampuffs have a chance to go to a bowl.

Minnesota didn't play 4 creampuffs this year. Could you possibly have any more bile in your posts? Following sports is supposed to be fun.

I am guessing the seniors on this team would love the chance to suit up one more time and play.

I am a gopher fan. If they play a game I will watch and cheer. Doesn't matter if they are 0-12 or 12-0.

Everyone on this board would watch.

They're not throwing any guidelines out the window. The eligibility pool is expanded because there aren't enough 6-win teams. Why on earth would there be an asterisk?

Because before this year- 6 wins (or a .500 record) was needed to become Bowl eligible. Saying there is an asterisk next to our 'Name' or 'Bowl' or 'Record' is a figure of speech meaning that everyone knows we are only there because someone has fill out the field.

Minnesota didn't play 4 creampuffs this year. Could you possibly have any more bile in your posts? Following sports is supposed to be fun.

I did not say Minnesota. I said 'teams'. We had a ridiculously hard schedule with 2 very legitimate teams in our nonconference. We are not the only 5 win team being considered. When 3 or 4 of your 5 wins are against very inferior teams- as most programs schedule- it does not seem like much of an accomplishment to boast 5 wins.

You are right- sports are supposed to be fun. About half of your posts are spent bitching at and belittling people. I realize this is a Message Board and manners and pleasantries get thrown out- but are you seriously OK? Has anybody ever told you that nobody like assholes? Do you need a hug? Can I buy you a beer? Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?

You are right- sports are supposed to be fun. About half of your posts are spent bitching at and belittling people. I realize this is a Message Board and manners and pleasantries get thrown out- but are you seriously OK? Has anybody ever told you that nobody like assholes? Do you need a hug? Can I buy you a beer? Is there anything I can do to make you feel better?

What are you talking about? I'm quite happy. I bitch at and belittle people who constantly rip on the Gophers and don't even seem to enjoy following the Gophers or being Gophers fans - like I'm doing right now.

What are you talking about? I'm quite happy. I bitch at and belittle people who constantly rip on the Gophers and don't even seem to enjoy following the Gophers or being Gophers fans - like I'm doing right now.

I'm very glad you are happy- I could not tell so from your posts. Look at my 60 or so posts from the course of the season and let me know how many are ripping the Gophers and Gopher fans. I have a job and kids so I can't possibly look at the posts you've had over the course of the season doing the same. But we don't really need to, do we?

After the way this year has gone, ending with us getting whipped by a Wisconsin team that had been struggling, I would be shocked if this were true. Of course publicly they would say they are excited because they would have no choice, but in a year where everything went wrong, wouldn't you just want to move on rather than be known as one of the first losing teams to back into a bowl game?

I should also state, my opinions are based on:

1) Underachieving this year, whether it be cause of injuries, tough schedule, lack of execution, or whatever.
2) Being a mostly veteran team
3) The coaching flux we are in.

If we were a young team who exceeded expectations and had a chance to play in a bowl to continue the momentum into next year, then my opinion would be much different.

After the way this year has gone, ending with us getting whipped by a Wisconsin team that had been struggling, I would be shocked if this were true. Of course publicly they would say they are excited because they would have no choice, but in a year where everything went wrong, wouldn't you just want to move on rather than be known as one of the first losing teams to back into a bowl game?

I should also state, my opinions are based on:

1) Underachieving this year, whether it be cause of injuries, tough schedule, lack of execution, or whatever.
2) Being a mostly veteran team
3) The coaching flux we are in.

If we were a young team who exceeded expectations and had a chance to play in a bowl to continue the momentum into next year, then my opinion would be much different.

I would be super shocked if the majority of seniors preferred to be done rather than play one more game. For most of them, this is the last time they will ever play football again. They've spent a majority of their life playing the game.

I would also say that we are not a veteran team at some positions. Over 60% of rushing and receiving yards came from underclassmen this season.

If they get an invitation yes, this is for the guys on the team that put in the work and bust there butts. It would be a little odd, but there is nothing wrong with giving the kids another chance to compete. I would even go to said bowl game, and not be embarrassed in the least.

I would be super shocked if the majority of seniors preferred to be done rather than play one more game. For most of them, this is the last time they will ever play football again. They've spent a majority of their life playing the game.

I would also say that we are not a veteran team at some positions. Over 60% of rushing and receiving yards came from underclassmen this season.

I say as a long ago former player and coach, if we have get an invite, lets go bowling ...................................BRING IT!!!!

Maybe they will get back a number of the injured players.
It would be nice to see a game where the Gophers are playing close to full strength.

Missouri bowing out makes it almost certain we get a bid. Unless 2 double-digit dogs win. Detroit or New York.

I'm out of the country for the holidays and jump through hoops to stream the games - yes accept the bid.

From a win loss perspective, a bowl for a 5-7 team is ridiculous, even if all 7 losses are to bowl bound teams with a 66-18 combined record.

But, I think the NCAA deserves some credit for using academic results as the qualifying criteria. the entire program can hold their head high that they qualified based on results, albeit academic rather than wins. We can thank Jerry's leadership for being in this position.

Reward the student part of student-athletes.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Who coaches the offense in a bowl game? That is the only reason I can see Claeys considering turning down a bowl bid.

Would love for Mitch and KJ to have another go at a game, I have no shame in accepting an invite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on the other hand, the Gophs could take the attitude that "what the bleep, we get to play another game, so let's just have fun." I could see them mixing up a lot of stuff on offense - use it as a trial run for next year. throw S**t at the wall and see what sticks. fake punts, flea-flickers, halfback options, or even (gasp), Chris Streveler gets to throw a pass! play it as the ultimate WTF game.

I don't know about you, but I would get a kick out of watching a game like that. It would a way of taking all the drama of the last season and flushing it. the players would probably have a blast.

Does the team even have the option of declining if offered? Yeah, Notre Dame can do what they want because they aren't in a conference, but wouldn't the Big Ten have something to say about it, considering that all bowl payouts are shared equally amongst all teams, whether they make a bowl or not? This may not be like declining a CBI invite in basketball.

Claeys has stated that he will accept an invitation if offered.

Does the team even have the option of declining if offered? Yeah, Notre Dame can do what they want because they aren't in a conference, but wouldn't the Big Ten have something to say about it, considering that all bowl payouts are shared equally amongst all teams, whether they make a bowl or not? This may not be like declining a CBI invite in basketball.

That would be my thought too. Last year the Pinstripe Bowl paid out $1.8M per team and the Quick Lane Bowl $1.2M per, so even those lower tier bowls pay out a pretty decent chunk of change that I doubt the conference would be too keen on seeing any one of its members turn down.

You kind of have a responsibility to go because the revenue is shared, no?

as a former player--3 weeks of practice for a worthless bowl does nothing--you really just want it over

You sound like a coach's dream. On the other hand, you do kind of make my point that results in bowl games (outside of the playoffs and about 4 others) are basically meaningless. That being said, of course you accept the bowl bid. Hopefully for Claeys we get matched up against another power 5 conference team and he has a shot at his bonus. I really don't get why so many people on this board are so despondent about this season...even if we were healthy (which we most certainly weren't) 5-7 is pretty much par for the course for this team. Add in the injuries and our competitiveness against top notch competition, I'm really not that concerned...would have been nice to beat wisc though.

As long as the bowl is at least a break even proposition financially, I say go for it. Not sure if the Big 10 helps out for bowls not affiliated with the conference.

I see no more (or less) shame in getting to a bowl at 5-7 this year than in getting to the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas in 2012 when we:
- went 6-6 overall
- went 2-6 in the conference (wins vs. Purdue & Illinois)
- only played 1 ranked opponent all season

I would see no need to "put an asterisk" next to a 2015 bowl if there isn't one next to the 2012 bowl.

I see no more (or less) shame in getting to a bowl at 5-7 this year than in getting to the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas in 2012

Had the same thought this morning.

I'm eager to learn our destination on Sunday and see if I can make it to the game.

Had the same thought this morning.

I'm eager to learn our destination on Sunday and see if I can make it to the game.

Usually hard to disagree with you Jake, but that 6-6 record in 2012 and Bowl Game were coming after two 3-9 seasons. This Bowl Game will come after two 8-5 seasons and no matter what happens in the Bowl Game it will still be a losing season. Maybe a complete 5-8 reversal of the previous two seasons. "Shame" is a harsh word and shouldn't apply to this season and if they get the invitation they certainly should go. They owe the Conference that.

But hard to understand how it could feel the same as it did in 2012.

Top Bottom