Seth Green to Minnesota?

Seth Green is far from the savior that some on here make him out to be, but we've recruited worse players/QBs. I like the idea if he's one of two QBs we end up with in this class.

Agree...its like everyone has forgotten about Croft as well. Kid was by far the best QB at Fall practice; live, accurate arm. Imagine he'll put on 10-15 Lbs and compete next year to start...especially with the more balanced attack TC seems to favor.

Seth Green is just not a very good quarterback. He certainly has the tools to become one, which I suppose is exciting, but at this stage this news doesn't do much for me.

The ratio is even.

Our run/pass ratio was 51:49 last season.

Tons of outstanding HS QBs go to programs that run the ball a lot.

Look at the top pro style QB commits this year. . .

Eason - 5 star - Georgia
KJ Costello - 4 star - Stanford

Keep going down the list, every single year, run-dominant programs sign top QBs.
It might have something to do with those schools putting qbs in the NFL. Stafford & luck were #1 overall picks from those "run dominant" schools. Aaron murray was no slouch either. The qb at Stanford this year will likely be a top pick also.

It might have something to do with those schools putting qbs in the NFL. Stafford & luck were #1 overall picks from those "run dominant" schools. Aaron murray was no slouch either. The qb at Stanford this year will likely be a top pick also.

Yeah, and they all chose to go to those schools when they were run-dominant. You just listed more players who didn't shy away from a school because it ran the ball a lot.

It doesn't take away from the fact that run dominant programs are able to recruit top flight QBs, every year.

Schools that are constantly putting QBs in the NFL get QB recruits regardless of style. Winning matters, not style.

Coach was expressing his deep concern for what comes down the pike nowadays with social media.

Wouldn't take it much further than that.

I'm all for having Green coming here if he wants to try TE, LB or DE. He won't be able to play QB at an acceptable level in B10.

Got any footage of him hitting a receiver in stride coming across the middle for a first down? Rating guys on throwing bombs downfield is like rating a basketball player on his dunks. Looks good, but doesn't tell you much about the finer points of his game.

I don't think he gets the offers he has and gets an invite to a Elite 11 camp if that's all there is to his game. If completing a pass like that was as easy as you make it sound we'd see it from QBs all over HS football and from our very own Gophers but we don't. It's an important aspect of any good QB's game one way or another. I'd rather he have deep ball accuracy than not. At the end of the day...Seth is the best that's available and I would gladly welcome him back to Minnesota considering the other options.

I don't think he gets the offers he has and gets an invite to a Elite 11 camp if that's all there is to his game. If completing a pass like that was as easy as you make it sound we'd see it from QBs all over HS football and from our very own Gophers but we don't. It's an important aspect of any good QB's game one way or another. I'd rather he have deep ball accuracy than not. At the end of the day...Seth is the best that's available and I would gladly welcome him back to Minnesota considering the other options.

This is how I feel as well. It's not a good thing to be recruiting out of desperation, but that's where we're at with the QB position right now. 2 scholarship QB's, one of which is graduating after next season. We're desperate for depth. This late in the recruiting cycle there just aren't going to be many intriguing QB prospects available. I don't claim to be a Seth Green expert, but based on what I've heard he has the tools to eventually become a good QB but there are concerns about whether he'll ever get there. At this point, that's about as good as we can hope for a QB recruit. Take Green, and once our OC/QB coach is hired have him find his favorite available QB recruit as the 2nd in the class, because we need 2.

Seth was recruited by Oregon back when they were a title contender. Even if they cooled on him a little bit, he's way better than other options and he's better than Pohljan.

Kill was being thin skinned when he made that remark, and in case you have not noticed, he quit. No need to have this impact the future.

Wonder if Frost will try to get Green to go UCF now.

Maybe we should look at this kid. Class of 2017

[video]https://d1vv3r1s83df1b.cloudfront.net/fb68b050-3d25-0132-c4a9-005056b8279b/174667_2_RosteJaran2_H264.webm[/video]

He looks a lot like Leidner did last season. I'm not sure that's what the coaching staff is looking for in taking a step forward.

I just hope the people that are 'down' on Green aren't the same ones that are hurt by Foster "de-committing." Both 4 star guys. For the record, I have no idea if either one will be a superstar, bust, or somewhere in-between...I guess I'm ignorant.

I just hope the people that are 'down' on Green aren't the same ones that are hurt by Foster "de-committing." Both 4 star guys. For the record, I have no idea if either one will be a superstar, bust, or somewhere in-between...I guess I'm ignorant.

People are down on them because, by all indications, the schools they were committed to are down on them.

Both 4 star guys. For the record, I have no idea if either one will be a superstar, bust, or somewhere in-between...I guess I'm ignorant.

you and everyone else. It's probability based. only about 44% of 5 star recruits gets drafted in the NFL. hard for coaches to predict the 56% who will get injured, go to jail, not develop, drop out, etc

Maxx Williams 3 star
David Cobb 3 star
Brock Vereen 3 star
Cedric Thompson 2 star

None were in the top 1000 nationally in their class. First 4 I thought of...can we stop with the "staff has no idea what they're doing cuz we let a 4 star get away". NOBODY KNOWS!

Carter Coughlin and Seth Green fawning over each other on Twitter right now. Posted like 5 minutes apart haha. They're reallllllly being teases if this isn't already pretty much a done deal:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Carter Coughlin and Seth Green fawning over each other on Twitter right now. Posted like 5 minutes apart haha. They're reallllllly being teases if this isn't already pretty much a done deal:

Seriously, those two should get a room........a room next to Sanford Hall! :)

1265.gif

Some of these comments make me want to puke. Quit being butt-hurt that he chose Oregon initially and realize that a 4 star recruit could be coming to the Gophers. After this season- how can that be bad? This whole- 'you don't like us, so we so won't like you' Minnesota thing is ridiculous. Do you realize how ignorant it sounds to say you prefer 2 star recruits over 4 star recruits? He may be horrible- he may be great...but a 4 star coming here in a skill position raises the profile of the program and in the short term does nothing but help.

Some of these comments make me want to puke. Quit being butt-hurt that he chose Oregon initially and realize that a 4 star recruit could be coming to the Gophers. After this season- how can that be bad? This whole- 'you don't like us, so we so won't like you' Minnesota thing is ridiculous. Do you realize how ignorant it sounds to say you prefer 2 star recruits over 4 star recruits? He may be horrible- he may be great...but a 4 star coming here in a skill position raises the profile of the program and in the short term does nothing but help.

What are you talking about?

I personally couldn't care less whether he chose to leave the state initially and possess no hard feelings whatsoever. I just don't think he's very good, an opinion that has been reinforced over and again here by very knowledgeable posters who watched him play multiple times in person against MN HS competition (not exactly difficult for high major recruits to excel against) and were thoroughly unimpressed. Recruiting ratings are incredibly useful on the aggregate (and you won't find a bigger advocate of that than me) but the services make mistakes all the time.

People don't like him because he's a second-string high school quarterback.

People don't like him because he's a second-string high school quarterback.

I really don't know because I haven't personally followed Green other than what people on this site say. However, along with Florida, Ohio, California and a few other states ... Texas is considered one of the prime states for producing footballs players. Again without knowing all the facts ... it seems like Green transferred down to a high profile Texas football program. Couldn't it be possible if this is a football magnet program that there could be more than two or three top flight prospects on that team. A second stringer on that type of team could still be a real successful player on the next level. Just for conversation sake ...

Top Bottom