New OC ideas ?

Doug Meacham is co-offensive coordinator and makes $350k, pay him $500k up here. He is a rumored to be a finalist for the HC job at North Texas, so, he may have his sights on jumping to a HC job.
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/doug_meacham_879468.html

I'll be surprised if Claeys goes to an Air Raid offense. After Kill retired he said he was going to call every recruit and assure them our overall philosophy was not going to change. I suspect Claeys simply wants a more cerebral person running the offense and better offensive line development. Plenty of creativity can still be had within our power-read-spread hybrid offense. There is plenty of room to improve and expand on what we're doing.

In the Star Tribune interviews Limegrover sort of alluded to in a roundabout way (and I could be totally wrong on this because it wasn't a very clear statement) it's tough to be a power-centric ball control offense in the modern Big Ten and out-compete the Wisconsins and MSUs and Iowas for the players necessary to pull it off. On the other hand, Z said he'd be shocked if Claeys brings in a dedicated spread offense.

Interesting dynamics within the conferences room, I assume for the past few years.

An outside the box name. Tyson Helton the Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach at Western Kentucky. UWK is first in offensive efficiency in all of college football and fourth in points per game and the QB so far has 42 TD and 6 int. Before anyone dismisses a coordinator at that level remember that Oklahoma brought in ECU's offensive coordinator last off-season.

He's not coming here. It would be a lateral move.

I love the Gophers, but I don't think their are many people outside Minnesota that would say Alabama to Minnesota is a lateral move. Position wise yes obviously, but I dont see a guy like Kiffin coming here unless he was on the outs at Bama already. Since they are playing for the SEC Championship and in all likelihood will be in the CFP, I think it's fair to say his OC job in Tuscaloosa is safe for now.

I love the Gophers, but I don't think their are many people outside Minnesota that would say Alabama to Minnesota is a lateral move. Position wise yes obviously, but I dont see a guy like Kiffin coming here unless he was on the outs at Bama already. Since they are playing for the SEC Championship and in all likelihood will be in the CFP, I think it's fair to say his OC job in Tuscaloosa is safe for now.
Sarcasm. Sorry...

Another left field candidate

I know I'm reaching, but given who he has worked with and for. - Chris Meidt

Could Tony Levine be coming home?

I had the same thought.

Former head coach, from the coveted Kevin Sumlin coaching tree, who grew up in Minnesota and played for the Gophers. His previous head coaching experience can help Claeys go through it for the first time. Tony has a big personality and he'd be fantastic at the luncheons, dinners, and speeches.

I'm in.

I had the same thought.

Former head coach, from the coveted Kevin Sumlin coaching tree, who grew up in Minnesota and played for the Gophers. His previous head coaching experience can help Claeys go through it for the first time. Tony has a big personality and he'd be fantastic at the luncheons, dinners, and speeches.

I'm in.

This. All in on Levine.

I'd love Tony Levine. It doesn't seem too likely to me though. It would be a drastically different offense and Claeys really only has a couple seasons to prove himself. I doubt we will move away from anything not based on power running.

I'll be surprised if Claeys goes to an Air Raid offense. After Kill retired he said he was going to call every recruit and assure them our overall philosophy was not going to change. I suspect Claeys simply wants a more cerebral person running the offense and better offensive line development. Plenty of creativity can still be had within our power-read-spread hybrid offense. There is plenty of room to improve and expand on what we're doing.

In the Star Tribune interviews Limegrover sort of alluded to in a roundabout way (and I could be totally wrong on this because it wasn't a very clear statement) it's tough to be a power-centric ball control offense in the modern Big Ten and out-compete the Wisconsins and MSUs and Iowas for the players necessary to pull it off. On the other hand, Z said he'd be shocked if Claeys brings in a dedicated spread offense.

Interesting dynamics within the conferences room, I assume for the past few years.

I hope this isn't true.

If Claeys is considering a major change in the offensive philosophy, then my question becomes: does it fit the current personnel? If Claeys is going to an all-new scheme, can the Gophers recruit players who fit that scheme? Do they have to go out and grab some JUCO's to fill out the recruiting class and bring in players who fit the new approach?

A lot of people are happy about Limegrover leaving, but just because they're getting a new OC, that doesn't guarantee the Gophs are going to turn overnight into an offensive juggernaut.

All I know is someone needs to get to the Vu stat to watch for new OC sightings

Yes, let's get Levine because he played for the Gophers. Instead...how about we actually get someone good? Just a thought.

(Aside from the fact that he's never been a coordinator at any level, and has mostly been a special teams coach. Other than that, sounds great as an OC!)

If Claeys is considering a major change in the offensive philosophy, then my question becomes: does it fit the current personnel?

I have to imagine that the shorter contract and AD uncertainty also applies maximum pressure next year to win. So re-tooling the roster and wiping the playbook clean seem to be out of the question, right?

Yes, let's get Levine because he played for the Gophers. Instead...how about we actually get someone good? Just a thought.

(Aside from the fact that he's never been a coordinator at any level, and has mostly been a Special Teams/Defensive coach. Other than that, sounds great as an OC!)

It's MN. It HAS to be "one of us"

(Aside from the fact that he's never been a coordinator at any level, and has mostly been a special teams coach. Other than that, sounds great as an OC!)
How did Houston do with his recruits this year? There was some talking head that pegged him to replace Spurrier at South Carolina prior to last year, which ended up being ironic as Levine was let go. He isn't someone we should immediately dismiss.

Saw this retweeted on twitter, I mean ...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I have to imagine that the shorter contract and AD uncertainty also applies maximum pressure next year to win. So re-tooling the roster and wiping the playbook clean seem to be out of the question, right?

This is what I was thinking as well. But, then that contradicts why I think Limey may have been let go: because Claeys is going to a different scheme. So I'm definitely wrong on at least one of those.
If it's less about scheme and more about development and in-game play calling, than I could see the Offense staying relatively the same scheme wise.

Saw this retweeted on twitter, I mean ...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Richt was born in Omaha! Probably about a .000001% chance of happening, but if it did, it would be one of the biggest coups in Gopher sports history.

Claeys says he's in no rush to hire and will meet in person with candidates. It's obvious he wants a very strong OC, so he has little worry over the group IMO.

Top Bottom