New OC ideas ?

Umm so you are suggesting if given two options, you would prefer to score less points than more? Do you realize how dumb that sounds?

How dumb what sounds? The statement "you would prefer to score less points than more". You said that. I can't even see where someone could possibly deduce I was implying anything like that. But yes, that statement that you said does sound really dumb. I agree with you.

I am always for scoring as many points as possible and giving up as few of points as possible. I hope we can all agree on that.

If you can really run the ball and you have a good defense, it shortens the game. It changes the way the other team calls plays. Additionally, if you have an awful defense, the offense might be forced to be more wide open. It's a gamble (more TOs but probably more points).

I would much rather have Indiana's offense this year than our offense, no question. I was just saying that certain offense put a lot of pressure on their defenses.

How dumb what sounds? The statement "you would prefer to score less points than more". You said that. I can't even see where someone could possibly deduce I was implying anything like that. But yes, that statement that you said does sound really dumb. I agree with you.

I am always for scoring as many points as possible and giving up as few of points as possible. I hope we can all agree on that.

If you can really run the ball and you have a good defense, it shortens the game. It changes the way the other team calls plays. Additionally, if you have an awful defense, the offense might be forced to be more wide open. It's a gamble (more TOs but probably more points).

I would much rather have Indiana's offense this year than our offense, no question. I was just saying that certain offense put a lot of pressure on their defenses.

Absolutely. The ones that go 3 and out.

Absolutely. The ones that go 3 and out.

Correct - ones that don't score points put a heck of a lot of pressure on the defense.

I would much rather have Indiana's offense this year than our offense, no question.

Sounds like we're on the same page then. It came across to me that people were actually dismissing the notion of an offense like Indiana's based on their record. They scored a lot of points and that is a good thing. Their defense is a dumpster fire.

Not sure if this name has been brought up but Cory Sauter and Claeys were really chatty at the football banquet on Sunday. Would he be a candidate for the OC and Weber as QB coach.

Not sure if this name has been brought up but Cory Sauter and Claeys were really chatty at the football banquet on Sunday. Would he be a candidate for the OC and Weber as QB coach.

If Sauter was the guy, he'd be the OC/QB coach, being he is a former QB. They would then hire a separate O-line coach.

I know a few people mentioned bringing in Josh Henson the former Missouri OC. He would be similar to Limegrover as he was an O-line coach first then O-line/OC. Maybe he would entertain only being an O-line coach again?

Just depends on how Claeys want's to structure it. I'm with the others that think it will be OC/QB with a separate O-line coach.

The OL de-commit is supposedly because we are going to zone blocking. Clearly Mike Shanahan will be the next OC.
Brian Schottenheimer is looking for work. He ran a zone blocking scheme at Georgia.

Yep, you listed one scenario where an offense can hurt its defense. Good job!

No big deal. It would have been the first thing that came to mind to anybody who watched the Gophers this season.

If Sauter was the guy, he'd be the OC/QB coach, being he is a former QB. They would then hire a separate O-line coach.

I know a few people mentioned bringing in Josh Henson the former Missouri OC. He would be similar to Limegrover as he was an O-line coach first then O-line/OC. Maybe he would entertain only being an O-line coach again?

Just depends on how Claeys want's to structure it. I'm with the others that think it will be OC/QB with a separate O-line coach.

Claeys has said he's open to an OC/QB or OC/RB coach.

Can someone explain why Webber would be a good QB coach? On paper, it sounds just like a cute feel good story of hiring a former Gopher.

Can someone explain why Webber would be a good QB coach? On paper, it sounds just like a cute feel good story of hiring a former Gopher.
It's just because he is currently a Grad Assistant with the staff. He will not be considered IMO.

:confused: Andrew Lloyd Webber has no business coaching an American Football team. Don't think he ever played for the Gophers either.

Can't explain it, but their is unscientific evidence that suggests Adam may have helped Mitch significantly this year. If the new OC was going to take over the RB coaching spot, I don't think I would have a problem with giving Adam a shot at QB Coach.

No big deal. It would have been the first thing that came to mind to anybody who watched the Gophers this season.

Yep, it's an obvious one.

Turnovers were probably the bigger deal.

They killed us against NW, WI, Kent State, and Nebraska.

Matt from the TDG makes a few good points.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Matt from the TDG makes a few good points.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So do wider splits mean Mason type O lineman, or just guys a bit lighter/more athletic than what we were recruiting?

For the smart ones: how many different kinds of O line types can there be? I understand the smaller, faster guys that Mason used, and understand their strengths and limitations. What other schemes are out there that would require us to change gears from the O lineman we WERE recruiting?

Claeys is on record that he would prefer to have an OC/QB coach and then a dedicated OL coach. He was more animated about the latter. I don't think you'll see another OC/OL coach under the Claeys regime.

He endured working with Jedd Fisch and lived to tell about it.

Claeys is on record that he would prefer to have an OC/QB coach and then a dedicated OL coach. He was more animated about the latter. I don't think you'll see another OC/OL coach under the Claeys regime.

Makes more sense.

So do wider splits mean Mason type O lineman, or just guys a bit lighter/more athletic than what we were recruiting?

For the smart ones: how many different kinds of O line types can there be? I understand the smaller, faster guys that Mason used, and understand their strengths and limitations. What other schemes are out there that would require us to change gears from the O lineman we WERE recruiting?

There are many schemes for the line, and its just not about size. Schemes with pulling centers versus pulling guards or tackles, schemes with zone blocking or reach blocking. Are you going to run a lot of screens? Well then foot speed of tackles becomes a bigger factor.

We need more speed on offense.

I'm anxious to hear who the new coaches are.

There are many schemes for the line, and its just not about size. Schemes with pulling centers versus pulling guards or tackles, schemes with zone blocking or reach blocking. Are you going to run a lot of screens? Well then foot speed of tackles becomes a bigger factor.

If you really dissect OL play, you can see a lot of differences. Our tackles always seem to be nearly in the backfield compared to other teams. Zone teams tend to be all closer to even with the center. Little things will change based on schemes.

An outside the box name. Tyson Helton the Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach at Western Kentucky. UWK is first in offensive efficiency in all of college football and fourth in points per game and the QB so far has 42 TD and 6 int. Before anyone dismisses a coordinator at that level remember that Oklahoma brought in ECU's offensive coordinator last off-season.

I think this one makes sense, but who really knows. I doubt it will be anyone from a Power 5 school. And completely changing the offense would probably take too much time. He needs to use the players we have now, but effectively.

Top Bottom