QB Tony Poljan decommits from Minnesota - cites "ever changing leadership at MN"

Regarding quarterbacks... Quite possibly the best quarterback in the state playing college football is Nick Rooney at Rochester CC. 55 Touchdowns this year. The kid has the "it" factor. No link - google his name.

“Due to the ever changing leadership at the University of Minnesota I am opening my recruitment up and decommitting,” Poljan tweeted.

Thought this quote was a bit funny. We had the most-tenured coaching staff in the nation, but our leadership is "ever changing". Lol.

I wish the kid well.

“Due to the ever changing leadership at the University of Minnesota I am opening my recruitment up and decommitting,” Poljan tweeted.

Thought this quote was a bit funny. We had the most-tenured coaching staff in the nation, but our leadership is "ever changing". Lol.

I wish the kid well.

Since he committed the AD has been fired, the head coach resigned, then the OC and QB coaches were fired. I'd say those are pretty significant changes that directly affect him.

I wish the kid well.

You're smarter than that. Most of the headlines we've made over the last couple months have been about our leadership, or lack thereof. I don't blame the kid, I also don't doubt there is more going on here.

That all said, can someone objectively fill me in on what Seth Green is and what he can do. Just reading this forum tells me that he was a stud underclassmen, committed to a top fight school, transfered to a much more competitive state and struggled and now is in some college football purgatory and should be a tight end?

Much like the above, I don't believe what I'm reading.

Re: Poljan/Green.

At the risk of offending some posters, my impression of Gopher Hole's general response to recruiting news goes like this:

Kid commits to the U: "he's a stud - going to be a great player."

Kid commits to another school, or de-commits from the U: "he wasn't that good. we really didn't want him."

When the Gophers were originally after Seth Green, there were a lot of people talking him up. Then, after committing to another school, people started questioning his ability, and suggesting he would move to TE. Now, when there's a chance Green might flip to the U, suddenly he's a hot prospect again.

Look, recruiting is a crap-shoot. we could all list "big-time" recruits who didn't pan out, and lightly-regarded recruits who turned into solid players. Green could turn out to be a very good college QB - or he might not. Only time will tell. I will reserve judgement until I actually see him play in a college game.

You're smarter than that. Most of the headlines we've made over the last couple months have been about our leadership, or lack thereof. I don't blame the kid, I also don't doubt there is more going on here.

That all said, can someone objectively fill me in on what Seth Green is and what he can do. Just reading this forum tells me that he was a stud underclassmen, committed to a top fight school, transfered to a much more competitive state and struggled and now is in some college football purgatory and should be a tight end?

I don't get the fascination. From my view, he could not seem any less interested in being in this state and he probably is overrated from his early rankings.

I'll caveat that this is based on one game and others can probably give a better assessment. My assessment of Green based on 1 game as a jr is that he was big - 6'3 / 6'4 with a very sturdy frame for a hs jr. Good but not amazing runner (not overly shifty). Very strong arm. Struggled with when to throw the fastball and when to use more touch in the game I was at, got better as the game went though. So-so accuracy. Didn't see as much leadership/presence on the field as I'd have liked, though admittedly that's a bit unfair and could be way off based on one game as a jr.

In summary, I saw someone who's physical traits create a high ceiling. As always will be a matter of whether the mental side and skill development allows him to reach it.

Re: Poljan/Green.

At the risk of offending some posters, my impression of Gopher Hole's general response to recruiting news goes like this:

Kid commits to another school, or de-commits from the U: "he wasn't that good. we really didn't want him."

When the Gophers were originally after Seth Green, there were a lot of people talking him up. Then, after committing to another school, people started questioning his ability, and suggesting he would move to TE. Now, when there's a chance Green might flip to the U, suddenly he's a hot prospect again.

Look, recruiting is a crap-shoot. we could all list "big-time" recruits who didn't pan out, and lightly-regarded recruits who turned into solid players. Green could turn out to be a very good college QB - or he might not. Only time will tell. I will reserve judgement until I actually see him play in a college game.

Exactly.

GopherWeatherGuy said:
Since he committed the AD has been fired, the head coach resigned, then the OC and QB coaches were fired. I'd say those are pretty significant changes that directly affect him.

Touché. From the perspective of the kid's 18-month recruitment process, he's right. I was just picking on the "ever changing". It was really just a dumb comment by me.

short ornery norwegian said:

There is truth to this and we all probably think it to some degree. It helps us cope. We need something good to happen to this program.

I hope the Gophers didn't pull the offer. I don't really want the Gophers to be the kind of program that strings kids along and then dumps them when a better option appears.

I hope the Gophers didn't pull the offer. I don't really want the Gophers to be the kind of program that strings kids along and then dumps them when a better option appears.
Even when there is a new head coach?

Poljan is much better than MAC caliber.

He may well be. The surprising thing is his offers don't look that impressive but: (1) a number of schools likely backed off after he committed, and (2) at his size, maybe a lot of schools see him at a position other than QB and he likely wants to play QB. He has played all over the field and he looks to be a tremendous athlete.

I agree with my diminutive crotchety Scandinavian brother in that we're no better than fans from other schools when a kid commits or de-commits. He lands here and it's "here comes the Heisman." He decides to head somewhere else, "we cooled on him" or "he's as dumb as a sack of hammers and can't get into school."

Curious to see what Seth Green does. He's had quite the odyssey.

Even when there is a new head coach?

Yes. I will reiterate I have no idea if this happened.

But changing your mind on a recruit once committed is not a good thing to do nor will be a terribly successful strategy for a middling program like Minnesota.

Yes. I will reiterate I have no idea if this happened.

But changing your mind on a recruit once committed is not a good thing to do nor will be a terribly successful strategy for a middling program like Minnesota.

The kid may have expressed concerns and Claeys said to go ahead and look around. However, it sounds like the coaches were re-upping with recruits and he may have been one they feel they want to go a different way on.

We're definitely hurting at the QB position. We currently have 2 scholarship QB's, one of which is a senior next year, and zero commits for the 2016 class. I bet we end up with 2 commits in this class even if Poljan goes elsewhere.

We're definitely hurting at the QB position. We currently have 2 scholarship QB's, one of which is a senior next year, and zero commits for the 2016 class. I bet we end up with 2 commits in this class even if Poljan goes elsewhere.

It's just my opinion but he would've been converted to another position regardless.

Two of the athletes that have committed were QBs in high school: Kamal Martin & Tyler Johnson. Poljan was also listed without a position.

in my opinion - the team is still feeling the pain of pnelson walking away from the program. and vice versa.

That didn't take long. I wonder if his Nebraska offer is at QB or a different position.

That didn't take long. I wonder if his Nebraska offer is at QB or a different position.
They are recruiting him as an athlete/ TE. They were interested in him as an athlete a while back but he wanted to play QB. I guess he is open to other positions now due to his current circumstances.

If he's willing to "de-commit" and entertain offers to be a TE instead of a QB here, then I'd be more inclined to think that we pulled the offer.

Top Bottom