Gophers give up 7 goals tonight, swept at home to St. Cloud State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Not good. Not good at all.

Go Gophers!!

Time to **** can Don. The one sport where we have no excuses.

It was take idiotic penalties bingo night for the Gophers at Mariucci. Smash into the goalie, get a major for a head shot, cross check a defender in the neck and commit superfluous boarding-St Cloud turn them into 4 goals. Tyler Sheey, at least, had a fun goal.

We need to drop down in weight class for a while. It was a lousy weekend of Hockey. At least the games were quickly played.

Here's a quick recap from Sunday's disappointing loss.

It was a fitting end to this Gophers’ sports weekend. After falling to the St. Cloud State Huskies on Friday, Minnesota allowed four powerplay goals as the Huskies swept the Maroon and Gold, 7-4, at Mariucci Arena.

Lethal Powerplay

The Huskies boast one of the most impressive offenses in the country, averaging over four goals per game. Minnesota gave SCSU seven powerplay opportunities, including a Nick Seeler five-minute major. St. Cloud didn’t waste the chances – scoring four times with the extra man.

“We can’t be undisciplined and take a couple penalties we took tonight to give that powerplay that many opportunities,” said Don Lucia.

The Huskies came into the game third in the nation converting on over 29% of their powerplay chances.

“They have five really skilled guys out there,” said Jake Bischoff. “It’s tough. They like to throw it between the seams and try to get us out of position by moving the puck really quickly and I think we just really weren’t used to it.”

Moving Forward

After getting swept by the Huskies, Minnesota sits at a dismal 4-7-0 record through the bulk of the nonconference schedule.

“We’re better in a couple areas, so, to me, we’re not that far away,” said Lucia. “It’s a fine line. We have to have our discipline. It’s great that we scored four but we need some guys, especially our juniors, to score.”

The young Gopher squad starts conference play next week against Ohio State and has to start gaining some type of momentum.

“I think we’re in a good spot,” said Bischoff. “I think over the course of the season so far, we’ve taken some strides as a team. We’ve grown a lot. I think we still have plenty of room to go but I think we’re getting there.”

Norman’s First

Freshman Ryan Norman had played in just three games and tallied zero points prior to Sunday’s contest. In the third period, Norman attempted to pass the puck in front but deflected off goalie Charlie Lindgren’s stick and into the net for his first goal of his career.

“It was great to see him get his first goal,” said Lucia. “We talked about [the fourth] line had given us some good minutes but they hadn’t scored a goal yet this year. It’s always special when you get your first goal.”

Three Stars

3 – Patrick Russell had a goal and an assist.

2 – Ethan Prow added three helpers on the night.

1 – Judd Peterson tallied two goals and an assist for the Huskies.

By The Numbers

7 Powerplay chances for the Huskies which is about six too many if you want to beat St. Cloud.

100 Percent of Minnesota’s powerplay. The Gophers were 2/2 with the man advantage, a positive sign moving forward.

5 Goals allowed on 20 shots for freshman Eric Schierhorn. It was certainly an uncharacteristic game for the goaltender who has been stellar thus far this season.

What’s Next

The Gophers start conference play next week as Ohio State comes to town for a two-game series. Both the Friday and Saturday contests start at 7:00 p.m.

how was the crowd tonight? was it rocking?

how was the crowd tonight? was it rocking?

Ha, no, not really. Sunday night of a holiday weekend certainly isn't an ideal time to hold a game. The biggest thing lacking was all the students making their way back from break.

Friday, even minus the students and the regular band, was a good crowd both in size and enthusiasm. Sunday was more like those old Christmas break games-a friendly low key atmosphere. Except, unfortunately, none of the players are off at the junior tournament and we really need to win some home games. I think even the St. Cloud fans were somewhat subdued.

Friday, even minus the students and the regular band, was a good crowd both in size and enthusiasm. Sunday was more like those old Christmas break games-a friendly low key atmosphere. Except, unfortunately, none of the players are off at the junior tournament and we really need to win some home games. I think even the St. Cloud fans were somewhat subdued.

I will be there at both games this weekend! I wonder what the crowd will be like tonight? If they struggle early...
It would be nice to see a goal or two to get the crowd into the game early, but that has not happened a lot this year.

Top Bottom