Coach Claeys on KFAN

gophers141

Reaction score
Coach Claeys on KFAN after the game said the quote below:

"I tell the players whenever Coach Kill is around he is your head coach."

That is a terrible mentality to have and limits the respect you receive from you players. Based on how the games Claeys was in charge of this year went and that overall mentality that this program still belongs to Kill doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Yesterday:
1. Punting at half time down 2 scores when your defense shows no signs of being able to stop their offense
2. Punting down 3 scores multiple times when facing a 4th & 1 and 4th & 2
3. Waiting until half time to make the adjustment son defense
4. his overall poor style and demeanor on the sidelines

That is a terrible mentality to have and limits the respect you receive from you players. Based on how the games Claeys was in charge of this year went and that overall mentality that this program still belongs to Kill doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Yesterday:
1. Punting at half time down 2 scores when your defense shows no signs of being able to stop their offense
2. Punting down 3 scores multiple times when facing a 4th & 1 and 4th & 2
3. Waiting until half time to make the adjustment son defense
4. his overall poor style and demeanor on the sidelines

Agree 100%. Yesterday was a disgrace.

Agreed ... show respect ... but it is your program now coach Clays. I know you have an off season but put your stamp on it right now. That sets a tone with recruits that you are their coach. I also agreed with others that said he can't sit there looking outraged at some calls by officials. He needs to get in their ear on the bad calls.

I was listening to that also driving home from the game. My thought was we will be looking for a new head coach in a couple years :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ughh. Really disappointed to hear him say something like that. Such a subservient mentality is not really suitable for a head coach, I don't think. It just sounds terrible. Take some ownership, man. It's NOT Kill's team any longer, it's your own.

Ughh. Really disappointed to hear him say something like that. Such a subservient mentality is not really suitable for a head coach, I don't think. It just sounds terrible. Take some ownership, man. It's NOT Kill's team any longer, it's your own.

Perfectly said - exactly what I was thinking. Does he really want to be our head coach?

One thread on this stupid topic wasn't enough?

One thread on this stupid topic wasn't enough?

Agreed....give it a rest. Big deal that he said that to this current team. It was a major change midseason, under unusual circumstances, he's just paying a little respect to a long time mentor, I doubt the kids are confused by the statement.

As far as the multiple punts when down by multiple scores, proved the correct move every time yesterday, since the defense kept giving the ball back to the offense with chances to cut into the lead.
Only possible coaching complaint yesterday was the slow adjustment to the run but it was made tougher when the offense kept putting the d back out there with short fields.

Also, started the game by giving Badgers first posession after the half. Gophers start slow and were unlikely to have a long scoring drive right out of the gate.

Well, I certainly felt that way in the final moments of the first half when they didn't even try to go for a field goal with plenty of time left. I guess the one difference is that Kill would have deferred on the first possession so they would have received the ball at the beginning of the second half.

Let the Claeys comment go. There is a certain humility that comes with getting a job the way
Claeys did. He understands that. Now that he has an off season, he'll start putting his stamp on it.
Jerry Kill would insist on it.

Kill's team this season, Claeys' team next season. Why do people get so bent out of shape?

I think he made his mark last night.......DON'T YOU ALL?

Kill's team this season, Claeys' team next season. Why do people get so bent out of shape?

Well, now to be fair to the critics, Claeys damn near wasted an entire day before acting. GH never ceases to amaze.

In fairness, the OP was before Claeys made his mark with the firings.

Well, now to be fair to the critics, Claeys damn near wasted an entire day before acting. GH never ceases to amaze.

You serious bro? Do you go on any other message board? This place is tame, TAME compared to any other message board. Some of our fans would blush at how old women talk about their coaches and players and every other school.

Agreed....give it a rest. Big deal that he said that to this current team. It was a major change midseason, under unusual circumstances, he's just paying a little respect to a long time mentor, I doubt the kids are confused by the statement.

Exactly! Just showing some respect to Kill. Kill had to step down to health reasons, it is not like he was fired. Now, if Claeys says the same thing next year, we have an issue.

i would bet that Coach Kill told TC that he should make his own mind up because it is his team now.

I also would bet that TC is taking this job very seriously, enough that he let go a coach he has worked with for many years and one that he has spent many hours working on and off the field. there is more to this than everyone knows and may ever know but the fact is the offense has not been a big ten offense since it came in and TC wants to make sure it becomes one. if not he will be back in Kansas running a restaurant

i would bet that Coach Kill told TC that he should make his own mind up because it is his team now.

I also would bet that TC is taking this job very seriously, enough that he let go a coach he has worked with for many years and one that he has spent many hours working on and off the field. there is more to this than everyone knows and may ever know but the fact is the offense has not been a big ten offense since it came in and TC wants to make sure it becomes one. if not he will be back in Kansas running a restaurant

I kind of figured that from the get-go.:)

You serious bro? Do you go on any other message board? This place is tame, TAME compared to any other message board. Some of our fans would blush at how old women talk about their coaches and players and every other school.

So we accept crudeness, irrationality, inarticulate expression, and childish name-calling here because other schools' boards are worse?

So we accept crudeness, irrationality, inarticulate expression, and childish name-calling here because other schools' boards are worse?

+1 Unfortunately the GopherHole has never been know for having any standards. If you want that you need to go to The Daily Gopher.:cry:

Top Bottom