The Gophers Just May Go To A Bowl

Who would call offensive plays if they went to a bowl game?

Who would call offensive plays if they went to a bowl game?

Good question. Makes it seem as if Claeys isn't planning on going to a Bowl Game. Or conversely, maybe he wants to get an early start. Or....oh heck, who the hell knows.

With how many of these crap bowls result in teams or conferences losing money on the travel costs and buying the required number of tickets, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the worst bowls left holding the bag for all of their costs with no teams willing to come play.

I'm not saying that the Gophers should turn down a bowl invite, but I really agree with this sentiment. It's such a ripoff for so many teams.

What's not clear to me is how TV money works for all of this. Does the Big Ten get more TV money with more teams in bowls? I assume that is then redistributed evenly? I wonder if Minnesota's portion of that is enough to offset what is likely to be a loss in bowl ticket sales.

Good question. Makes it seem as if Claeys isn't planning on going to a Bowl Game. Or conversely, maybe he wants to get an early start. Or....oh heck, who the hell knows.

Limegrover is still under contract. It would probably be him.

If they are offered a Bowl, as a Big Ten member, they should accept it. But would you head-up to the (Motor City) Quick Lane Bowl?

Depends on the cost, and the opponent. At $330 round trip against an ACC team, I would be inclined to go.

Limegrover might be too busy trying to find a job rather then devising a game plan for a meaningless bowl game for his former employer. Just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying that the Gophers should turn down a bowl invite, but I really agree with this sentiment. It's such a ripoff for so many teams.

What's not clear to me is how TV money works for all of this. Does the Big Ten get more TV money with more teams in bowls? I assume that is then redistributed evenly? I wonder if Minnesota's portion of that is enough to offset what is likely to be a loss in bowl ticket sales.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/12/08/college-football-playoff-conference-payouts/

Great, schools with high academic standards will get shaft (i.e. Minnesota) while schools that are academically a joke get in (Nebraska). Thank you APR.

Nebraska's APR is higher than Minnesota's although not by much. I don't think it is a particularly high hurdle. If you're going to carp about academic standards, we could probably debate whether 40% of the students in college today belong there.

Because we didn't earn it. Not sure why that is hard to understand. Like I said in my original post, it is just my personal opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, it makes as little sense to me as mine does to you. Opportunities such as this in life should be earned. What lesson are the "kids" learning if we go to a bowl in a season where we didn't qualify for one? Major problem with people right now is that they think they are entitled to everything without having to earn it.

Don't be such an idiot. The bowls select the best available teams (based upon records, revenue projections, etc). The 6 win rule is just one qualifier to eliminate teams from consideration by the bowls. If there are not enough 6 win teams, the bowls select the next best 5 win teams. And as such, these teams earned their spot in the bowls by being the best available teams. It is not a participation award that is given out to everyone. Our season was a disappointment, but don't let your "opinion" cloud your judgment. Every team that plays in a bowl earns it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nebraska's APR is higher than Minnesota's although not by much. I don't think it is a particularly high hurdle. If you're going to carp about academic standards, we could probably debate whether 40% of the students in college today belong there.

wouldn't strength of schedule be in consideration between neb and us ??? what does APR have to do with higher ranked???

wouldn't strength of schedule be in consideration between neb and us ??? what does APR have to do with higher ranked???

Well, it's supposedly the criteria they decided to use to pick 5-7 teams. I don't have a problem with using that criteria when you're picking teams that didn't make the usual performance benchmarks anyway. Besides, Nebraska is rated higher than us on virtually every quantitative power index and the beat the hell out of us to boot.

But, we may not have to worry about Nebraska getting in anyway.. There are five spots that can't be filled with 6 win teams. Three teams still have a shot to make 6 wins but at least two of them are very unlikely to pull that off. One of those teams, KSU, is ahead of us in APR. Another 5-7 team, Missouri, is also ahead of us. So, the five teams could be Nebraska, Missouri, KSU, Minnesota, and possibly San Jose State.

I have degrees from both schools...I can attest that Nebraska is an absolute joke academically.

I have degrees from both schools...I can attest that Nebraska is an absolute joke academically.

Probably depends upon the major, don't you think? There are "joke" departments and tough departments/teachers at most schools.

Probably but aced a p-Chem class at UNL and it was easier than my any of my Chen classes at the U.

Great, schools with high academic standards will get shaft (i.e. Minnesota) while schools that are academically a joke get in (Nebraska). Thank you APR.

That reminds me, does anyone know if Jeff Jones will be ready to play in the bowl game?

Limey has been dismissed. He will get paid thru his contract date of 12/31/15, but there is a 0% chance he coaches in the Bowl Game. He even told Andy or Joe today, "plenty of good coaches left at the U to do that" or something like that in an interview.

I like football, so I'll be watching a lot of bowl games. I'd rather see the Gophers then not. So put me in on the yes team!

Hey, Gophers, don't look now, but you might still go bowling

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...-dont-look-now-but-you-might?source=hottopics

A bowl berth would extend their streak to four straight seasons and add 15 practices to benefit the players coming back next year.

But after two consecutive eight-win seasons and last year's Citrus Bowl on New Year's Day, the first New Year's bowl game for the U since 1962, the Gophers going to New York or the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit or the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, Texas, wouldn't generate much enthusiasm from fans.

"I don't know," Claeys said Saturday about a possible bowl game. "If there is, they can send me a message...

At least two 5-7 teams will go to bowls, but there could be as many as five, depending on three games next Saturday. All three 5-6 teams likely will be underdogs. Kansas State plays West Virginia (7-4), Georgia State plays Georgia Southern (8-3) and South Alabama takes on Appalachian State (9-2)...

The 5-7 teams with the best APR are: Nebraska (985), Kansas State (976), Missouri (976), San Jose State (975) and Minnesota (975), according to multiple reports.

The 14-team Big Ten has eight bowl-eligible teams and 10 affiliated bowls. Three of the bowls -- Taxpayer, Music City and Citrus -- have the option to go with Big Ten or ACC teams.

Whether 5-7 Big Ten teams get priority from Big Ten bowl games over bowl-eligible teams from other conferences is also something the oversight committee will have to address...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As mentioned above, the three teams left who still could become bowl eligible are:
Kansas State (5-6), and they play at home vs West Virginia (7-4) next week.
Southern Alabama (5-6), and they play vs Appalachian State (9-2) next week as 16-point underdogs.
Georgia State (5-6), and they play at Georgia Southern (8-3) next week as 22-point underdogs.

Kansas State will automatically make a bowl as they are ahead of the Gophers in the APR rankings.

Southern Alabama and Georgia State have two very tough games. If both lose, the Gophers definitely make a bowl game. If one of those two teams win either the Gophers or San Jose State will be the last 5-7 team selected for a bowl game.

In summary, it looks very likely (90%+) that we'll be headed to a bowl game.

This pretty much seals it...

The only way we don't make a bowl game is if both Georgia State AND Southern Alabama win this weekend. And even if that occurred, which is incredibly unlikely, there would be one open spot for either San Jose State or the Gophers.

The only way we don't make a bowl game is if both Georgia State AND Southern Alabama win this weekend. And even if that occurred, which is incredibly unlikely, there would be one open spot for either San Jose State or the Gophers.

Or we could decline.

Respect for Missouri.

Quick Lane Bowl would be nice for travel reasons. Pinstripe Bowl would be cool just because the game is at Yankee Stadium. Would much rather go to that one, but unfortunately it's the day after Christmas.

Top Bottom