The Gophers Just May Go To A Bowl

My only reason is pride and for the lesson. It comes down to if you think every kid on every team should get a trophy or if the kid should have to work hard and earn it. I'm in the latter group.

Well, bully for you, but your convictions are nonsensical under the circumstances. Again, why should we turn down an invite that we "didn't earn" so that some other team that "didn't earn" an invite could take our place?

The bold wouldn't be so bad.

Well, maybe they should think about that for next year, but it's probably too late to do something like that this season.

Speaking of early projections after yesterday: one online pub has us meeting Central Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl and another has us meeting Arkansas State in the New Orleans Bowl.

Well, maybe they should think about that for next year, but it's probably too late to do something like that this season.

Speaking of early projections after yesterday: one online pub has us meeting Central Michigan in the Quick Lane Bowl and another has us meeting Arkansas State in the New Orleans Bowl.

With how many of these crap bowls result in teams or conferences losing money on the travel costs and buying the required number of tickets, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the worst bowls left holding the bag for all of their costs with no teams willing to come play.

Well, bully for you, but your convictions are nonsensical under the circumstances. Again, why should we turn down an invite that we "didn't earn" so that some other team that "didn't earn" an invite could take our place?

Because we didn't earn it. Not sure why that is hard to understand. Like I said in my original post, it is just my personal opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, it makes as little sense to me as mine does to you. Opportunities such as this in life should be earned. What lesson are the "kids" learning if we go to a bowl in a season where we didn't qualify for one? Major problem with people right now is that they think they are entitled to everything without having to earn it.

Because we didn't earn it. Not sure why that is hard to understand. Like I said in my original post, it is just my personal opinion. You are entitled to your opinion, it makes as little sense to me as mine does to you. Opportunities such as this in life should be earned. What lesson are the "kids" learning if we go to a bowl in a season where we didn't qualify for one? Major problem with people right now is that they think they are entitled to everything without having to earn it.

Lol

What lesson are the "kids" learning if we go to a bowl in a season where we didn't qualify for one? Major problem with people right now is that they think they are entitled to everything without having to earn it.

There's no "lesson" here either way. The simple fact is that some teams may go to a bowl just because there aren't enough qualified teams to fill the schedule. At best those teams will feel "lucky" rather than "entitled." Another "major problem with people right now" is that there are too many simple minded dolts who can't adjust their thinking to changing circumstances.

There's no "lesson" here either way. The simple fact is that some teams may go to a bowl just because there aren't enough qualified teams to fill the schedule. At best those teams will feel "lucky" rather than "entitled." Another "major problem with people right now" is that there are too many simple minded dolts who can't adjust their thinking to changing circumstances.

Wrong. Just plain wrong.

I can see both sides of the argument.

A. this has been a disappointing season, and I'm ready for it to be over. I don't want to watch the Gophers struggle through another loss.

B. I know they're 5-7, and it has been a disappointing season, but if they could get a little healthier, and win the final game of the season by playing in a bowl, it would leave most people with a better feeling going into the off-season.

There is NO right or wrong answer here. It's a matter of personal preference. I can understand both positions, and I can live with either choice.

I think it is cute that you believe turning down a bowl would teach the players some life lesson. Just darling.

A. this has been a disappointing season, and I'm ready for it to be over. I don't want to watch the Gophers struggle through another loss.

B. I know they're 5-7, and it has been a disappointing season, but if they could get a little healthier, and win the final game of the season by playing in a bowl, it would leave most people with a better feeling going into the off-season.

There is NO right or wrong answer here. It's a matter of personal preference. I can understand both positions, and I can live with either choice.

Agreed.

Those are reasonable arguments. But, if the Gophers get an invite and turn it down so that some other 5-7 team can take their place, wouldn't the players (and a large number of fans) regret that choice when it comes to the bowl season? It's not like the Gophers would be taking the place of some lesser conference team with 6 wins; I wouldn't support that on principle.

I think it is cute that you believe turning down a bowl would teach the players some life lesson. Just darling.

Not just the players on the team now, but the future players and other kids from our state. Like I said, just a personal opinion. You are welcome to yours even if I think it's wrong.

[/B]

Agreed.

He's not using your stupid argument to justify declining a bid. He's using a reasonable one (I don't agree with it, but it is reasonable from the viewpoint of a large number of fans who have been exhausted by the futility of this season and don't want the opportunity to swallow any more bitter pills).

He's not using your stupid argument to justify declining a bid. He's using a reasonable one (I don't agree with it, but it is reasonable from the viewpoint of a large number of fans who have been exhausted by the futility of this season and don't want the opportunity to swallow any more bitter pills).

You are really dense, go back and read the bolded part I agreed with. It's what I have been saying all along. I have my personal opinion and I stated that I recognized it was just my personal opinion.

Something I just thought of - would the decision to turn down a bowl impact recruiting?

If I told you that a quality recruit might de-commit based on the decision, would it change your mind?

You are really dense, go back and read the bolded part I agreed with. It's what I have been saying all along. I have my personal opinion and I stated that I recognized it was just my personal opinion.

His argument for declining a bowl bid is completely different from yours. Speaking of what is apparently one of your favorite words (entitlement), why do you believe your are entitled to spout stupid convictions without being challenged?

His argument for declining a bowl bid is completely different from yours. Speaking of what is apparently one of your favorite words (entitlement), why do you believe your are entitled to spout stupid convictions without being challenged?

Still being dense. Go read it again and think about it this time. What part did I bold and say I agree with.

Still being dense. Go read it again and think about it this time. What part did I bold and say I agree with.

You agreed with his statement that there is no right or wrong answer because it is a matter of personal preference but his argument was stated in terms of the preference of a fan not wanting to see any more from this team. That is a matter of preference. Your argument is based on some sort of absurd idealized lesson for the players that exists only in your own mind. His argument isn't stupid because, as stated, it is based on personal taste. Your argument is very stupid because it is based on some sort of principle that doesn't apply here.

We could go at this all day long but, like your principles, your capacity to win this argument exists only in your own mind.

I understand the argument that bottlebass is making, but consider this, there is a very good chance tha APR will be the deciding factor. There is a very positive message that scholarship counts if that's the process they end up using. It isn't as strong as it should be, but enough, to counterbalance any suppose lesson learned from not going because you didn't earn it.

You agreed with his statement that there is no right or wrong answer because it is a matter of personal preference but his argument was stated in terms of the preference of a fan not wanting to see any more from this team. That is a matter of preference. Your argument is based on some sort of absurd idealized lesson for the players that exists only in your own mind. His argument isn't stupid because, as stated, it is based on personal taste. Your argument is very stupid because it is based on some sort of principle that doesn't apply here.

We could go at this all day long but, like your principles, your capacity to win this argument exists only in your own mind.

LOL I won this argument when you typed your first sentence. How do you go through life interacting with people? Every time they open their mouth you say their opinion is stupid because you don't understand? That makes you the stupid one.

I understand the argument that bottlebass is making, but consider this, there is a very good chance tha APR will be the deciding factor. There is a very positive message that scholarship counts if that's the process they end up using. It isn't as strong as it should be, but enough, to counterbalance any suppose lesson learned from not going because you didn't earn it.

If this is true, then they would on some level have earned the bowl game appearance through hard work.

The longer this thread gets, the more pathetic we look.

Great, schools with high academic standards will get shaft (i.e. Minnesota) while schools that are academically a joke get in (Nebraska). Thank you APR.

I say accept a bowl game if offered. Practice time, and it gives the departing kids a chance to shine one last time.

I hope that's the case and we make a bowl. For those that wish otherwise, you need to seriously ask yourself if you're a fan.

Having a tough time with this response. For one, the thought process is making a bowl is sign of successful season. I have believed that sentiment until this year. The team ended 5-7 with an extremely difficult scheduled and multiple injuries. How would this squad handle a bowl game? Gophers lose and they are even more down about the season. Gophers win, it really means nothing besides extra practice/extra game for "new" head coach.

On the other hand, if the Gophers receive a bowl bid that completely validates the point of far too many bowl games. That is not the Gophers fault. It's how the system is setup.

Also, how many of us would actually travel for this bowl game? Bowls do not look kindly upon poor traveling fan bases. May be a blow for future bowls/invitations.

Section 148

Top Bottom