The Gophers Just May Go To A Bowl

nsmike

Reaction score
Only two teams got bowl eligible today Indiana and Va Tech bringing the number of eligible teams up to 75. Of the teams still mathematically alive none have an easy path.
KSU vs WVA
Georgia State vs Georgia Southern
Southern Alabama vs Appalachian State
We are 5th in APR among the teams not bowl eligible
KSU is one of the four teams ahead of us so if both Sunbelt Conf teams lose we might be the 80th team.

Only two teams got bowl eligible today Indiana and Va Tech bringing the number of eligible teams up to 75. Of the teams still mathematically alive none have an easy path.
KSU vs WVA
Georgia State vs Georgia Southern
Southern Alabama vs Appalachian State
We are 5th in APR among the teams not bowl eligible
KSU is one of the four teams ahead of us so if both Sunbelt Conf teams lose we might be the 80th team.

No, please no. If they get behind, couldn't stand to see them play to keep the final margin of defeat close rather then try and close it. Even worse, don't want to see them go 5-8.

I got to the same conclusion but I doubt South Alabama loses to Appalachian State

I got to the same conclusion but I doubt South Alabama loses to Appalachian State
How do you figure that? Appalachian State is 9-,2 Georgia Southern which is 8-3, just beat South Alabama 55-17.

Posted this in another thread as well, but this thread seems more active so I'll post it here as well:

________

After doing a little digging it looks like there's a good chance we will make a bowl game at 5-7.

As mentioned above, the three teams left who still could become bowl eligible are:
Kansas State (5-6), and they play at home vs West Virginia (7-4) next week.
Southern Alabama (5-6), and they play vs Appalachian State (9-2) next week.
Georgia State (5-6), and they play at Georgia Southern (8-3) next week.

As of now there are 75 bowl-eligible teams, and it's unlikely that more than one of the teams above will become bowl eligible. So there will likely either be four or five open spots.

There has been some confusion about how the NCAA will determine which 5-7 teams will go to bowl games. A few weeks ago everyone assumed it was going to be decided based on APR (and this still may be how they ultimately decide to do it), but that is up in the air: http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...-to-provide-procedures-for-filling-bowl-games

APR Rankings of 5-7 teams:
985 - Nebraska
976 - Missouri
976 - Kansas State (currently 5-6)
975 - Minnesota (tie)
975 - San Jose State (tie)

APR rankings source: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ame-eligibility-rules-ncaa-five-wins-nebraska

Now that it is impossible for the 80 bowl slots to be filled by 6-6 teams, the NCAA will decide in the next few days how to pick 5-7 teams for bowl games. While I haven't seen any confirmation from reporters, the consensus around the web seems to be that Nebraska and Missouri will both make bowl games based on their APR.

So in summary if Georgia State and South Alabama lose next weekend (which they probably will), it's likely we will make a bowl game at 5-7.

Ugh! Let's move on. 9/1/16 Oregon State!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if three B1G teams make the "New Year's Six" bowl games (I think that's what they're called now?), there's an outside chance the Gophers could end up in either NYC or San Francisco.

Hypothetical scenario:
New Year's Six bowl games: Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State.
BWW Citrus Bowl: Michigan (9-3)
Outback Bowl: Northwestern (10-2)
Holiday Bowl: Wisconsin (9-3)
Music City/Taxslayer "Gator" Bowl: Penn State (7-5)

The bottom four bowl games get harder to choose... Is Indiana automatically ahead of the Gophers and/or Nebraska? Will Nebraska be ahead of us because the fact that they "travel well" and their APR score? Who knows.

If I had to guess I'd say Indiana ends up in NYC for the Pinstripe Bowl, Nebraska goes to Santa Clara for the Foster Farms Bowl, and we end up in Detroit or Fort Worth... assuming we make a bowl game.

And everyone would get knocked down one peg in the bowl hierarchy if only two B1G teams make the New Year's Six Bowl games.

Posted this in another thread as well, but this thread seems more active so I'll post it here as well

After doing a little digging it looks like there's a good chance we will make a bowl game at 5-7.

As mentioned above, the three teams left who still could become bowl eligible are:
Kansas State (5-6), and they play at home vs West Virginia (7-4) next week.
Southern Alabama (5-6), and they play vs Appalachian State (9-2) next week.
Georgia State (5-6), and they play at Georgia Southern (8-3) next week.

As of now there are 75 bowl-eligible teams, and it's unlikely that more than one of the teams above will become bowl eligible. So there will likely either be four or five open spots.

There has been some confusion about how the NCAA will determine which 5-7 teams will go to bowl games. A few weeks ago everyone assumed it was going to be decided based on APR (and this still may be how they ultimately decide to do it), but that is up in the air: http://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...-to-provide-procedures-for-filling-bowl-games

APR Rankings of 5-7 teams:
985 - Nebraska
976 - Missouri
976 - Kansas State (currently 5-6)
975 - Minnesota (tie)
975 - San Jose State (tie)

APR rankings source: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ame-eligibility-rules-ncaa-five-wins-nebraska

Now that it is impossible for the 80 bowl slots to be filled by 6-6 teams, the NCAA will decide in the next few days how to pick 5-7 teams for bowl games. While I haven't seen any confirmation from reporters, the consensus around the web seems to be that Nebraska and Missouri will both make bowl games based on their APR.

So in summary if Georgia State and South Alabama lose next weekend (which they probably will), it's likely we will make a bowl game at 5-7.

I hope that's the case and we make a bowl. For those that wish otherwise, you need to seriously ask yourself if you're a fan.

I hope that's the case and we make a bowl. For those that wish otherwise, you need to seriously ask yourself if you're a fan.

Okay, as long as you're being so su·per·cil·i·ous about it.

In a season that's already lost mainly (?) because of an unprecedented run of injuries, maybe you need to ask yourself if putting those kids through 2 more weeks of practice is worth just so you can see them go 6-7 or 5-8 rather than 5-7.

Our kids are beat up. Many suffered serious injuries this year. Sure seems selfish to want to send these kids through another 15 practices and a game, tus further risking themself, only for your entertainment? Wow.

Our kids are beat up. Many suffered serious injuries this year. Sure seems selfish to want to send these kids through another 15 practices and a game, tus further risking themself, only for your entertainment? Wow.

If their health is an tenuous as you say, they probably should have forfeited today.

Ask a senior if they would like to play one more game. Pretty sure I know the answer.

If their health is an tenuous as you say, they probably should have forfeited today.

Ask a senior if they would like to play one more game. Pretty sure I know the answer.

I have no idea if their injuries are that severe. Claeys said after the game the injuries have taken a toll this year. If they aren't an issue, then heck yes, let's lace it up and play another 60 minutes. I love football and more football sounds good to me.

What if you asked them at the beginning of the season or even before todays' game if they deserved to go to a bowl with losing record? Or if they had earned the right to a Bowl Game by going 5-7?

What would the answer be then?

College football is entertainment. Plain and simple.

If we go to a bowl game then Croft should get half the snaps.

Haha really folks? We shouldn't play a bowl game because we're hurt? Would you really want to be a fan of a pansy ass team that would not play because they're hurt? This is football for christ sake. If you're worried about injuries become a fan of basket weaving.

Ya we only have 120 guys

It's football. There is some risk involved in participating. By your logic, why wouldn't we just shut it down for good? Rallis got a chance to play today...I thought he contributed quite well. Maybe other guys step up given the chance? It's not like we have NFL combine guys getting hurt.

Going bowling at 5-7 is putrid....however, how do you turn down the opportunity for some MUCH needed extra practices?
Especially with a new coach. Simple answer....you don't. You take whatever bowl they'll give us and practice the hell out
of this team. You give your seniors another shot, and you give your team a chance to close out on a win, which is much
bigger than a bad rivalry loss.
If they offer...

..go Bowling.

And who is to blame for that? The players effort or the coaching strategy?

Both.
Defensive coaches needs to adjust BEFORE conceding to halftime.
Offensive players couldn't hang onto the ball, line couldn't stop the pass rush.

Personal opinion is you decline the bowl when you are 5-7. The team needs to earn a bowl game, not be handed one. They had their chances and they didn't earn it. The practice time would be nice for all the young guys but that would be the only positive for me. Let the team work hard this off season with the taste of defeat in their mouths so next year they will be hungry.

This is about the players and not the finicky fans.

My guess is that the players would love the chance to be in a bowl. And one last game for the Seniors.

As a fan of Gopher football, I hope they get a chance.

Personal opinion is you decline the bowl when you are 5-7. The team needs to earn a bowl game, not be handed one. They had their chances and they didn't earn it.

Yes, that is honorable in an old school sort of way, but under the circumstances it is also ridiculous. If all 5-7 teams did that, they would have to cancel 2 or 3 bowls. If Minnesota gets a bid, why should they turn it down so that 5-7 teams San Jose State or Illinois can take their place?

Yes, that is honorable in an old school sort of way, but under the circumstances it is also ridiculous. If all 5-7 teams did that, they would have to cancel 2 or 3 bowls. If Minnesota gets a bid, why should they turn it down so that 5-7 teams San Jose State or Illinois can take their place?

My only reason is pride and for the lesson. It comes down to if you think every kid on every team should get a trophy or if the kid should have to work hard and earn it. I'm in the latter group.

The bold wouldn't be so bad.

Top Bottom