Blame Continues to Fall Squarely on Gophers Admin

This season was an utter disappointment. There's really no way to sugarcoat it. Lose all the trophy games, 2 conference wins. Only way Gophers get a bowl is if it's a gift (not enough bowl eligible teams)?

Need to take advantage of the favorable schedule next year. 2016 will tell us which way this program is going.

Completely agree.

This was a bad year for Gopher football. There aren't any excuses to be made.

Next year will tell us a lot.

So a public state school, Rutgers, fired their AD and head football coach, and replaced them both within a week, including hiring a big time D coordinator in Chris Ash. Amazing what an administration can accomplish when they actually care about winning.

Just another example of how Minnesota's administration continues to look incompetent.

So a public state school, Rutgers, fired their AD and head football coach, and replaced them both within a week, including hiring a big time D coordinator in Chris Ash. Amazing what an administration can accomplish when they actually care about winning.

Just another example of how Minnesota's administration continues to look incompetent.

I guess I never think of Rutgers as a shining example of what can be accomplished, at least not in football.

I guess I never think of Rutgers as a shining example of what can be accomplished, at least not in football.

Also, I don't remember any active federal Title IX investigations taking place at Rutgers. I guess we all need to catch up on the Rutger tradition in order for his comments to sting more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, I don't remember any active federal Title IX investigations taking place at Rutgers. I guess we all need to catch up on the Rutger tradition in order for his comments to sting more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title IX doesn't fall on the shoulders of the administration? As far as Rutgers football tradition? They went 11-2 in 2006 and won 8 or 9 games 6 of the last 9 seasons. That's quite a bit more recent success than our beloved Gophers.

Title IX doesn't fall on the shoulders of the administration? As far as Rutgers football tradition? They went 11-2 in 2006 and won 8 or 9 games 6 of the last 9 seasons. That's quite a bit more recent success than our beloved Gophers.

Now do you want to tell us their record after they joined the BIG?

I was just going to post something similar to what you wrote in response to his assertions regarding the U of M and Rutgers.

They've been in the B1G two years, went 8-5 overall last year - the same as the Gophers. Won 1 less game than the Gophers this year. They do have 3 fewer B1G wins, but they also play in a better division.

Yet they fire their AD and head coach, and rehire both within a week. Meanwhile the Gophers hire from within because they can't hire an AD in four months. Title IX is just an excuse. The Gophers have to hire an AD regardless of what comes out of Tittle IX.

How is 4 months rushing things? It's not a top priority. Just like winning at this school is not a top priority. This is why the Gophers are 2-19 against Wisconsin in the last 21 games. That's not just one head coach failing.

Well told. Winning isn't a priority. I'd guess revenue is the priority.

They've been in the B1G two years, went 8-5 overall last year - the same as the Gophers. Won 1 less game than the Gophers this year. They do have 3 fewer B1G wins, but they also play in a better division.

Yet they fire their AD and head coach, and rehire both within a week. Meanwhile the Gophers hire from within because they can't hire an AD in four months. Title IX is just an excuse. The Gophers have to hire an AD regardless of what comes out of Tittle IX.

Go back to predicting the weather.

Holtz was certainly coaching up players. I can't think of many who were better at it. Also, when Holtz left, he took Tony Rice with him. That's really all you have to know. If there is a difference between this situation and the Gutekunst situation is that Claeys has been here five years and Gutekunst had only been here two years. Claeys and the rest of the assistants have a track record both here and nationally. That's neither here nor there to some extent, but I think this staff has really built up the in-state recruiting. We are still going to have to go elsewhere for the skilled position players, but Claeys has a firmer foundation in the state than Gutekunst did in a similar situation.

Thinly disguised code. And by the way, every position requires skill. This elitist term needs to be dropped.

Thinly disguised code. And by the way, every position requires skill. This elitist term needs to be dropped.

Thinly disguised code for what? The truth? Minnesota high schools don't produce many FBS-caliber RBs and WRs. Get over yourself.

You think a major corporation would have success attracting a desirable CFO candidate with a major active FTC investigation being run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think a major corporation would have success attracting a desirable CFO candidate with a major active FTC investigation being run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that predicting the weather requires something more than an Internet connection.

A one year sample isn't the best, especially with 3 East division teams in the top 15. Also played 9-3 Wisconsin as a crossover. Add to that the fact that their first year in the B1G, every game is like an OOC game - new teams/schemes/stadiums.

They have in fact won 6 bowl games in the last 10 years which is more than almost any B1G team can say. Qualifier: they were mostly minor bowls, but they got it done.

Again I'll ask, why does that matter? Is the university in danger of folding? No. Are Gopher athletics facing scholarship bans or postseason bans? No. If hired from the outside, the new AD will have nothing to do with what happened, and it will have minimum effect going forward.

"I agree 100%. Hiring Claeys was a short sighted knee jerk reaction that did not need to be made when it was and it will kill this program's momentum for years. People who think we couldn't have found anyone better after these last 5 years knows nothing about college football. I don't care if we currently have an AD or not that's no excuse. If anything you entice a good head coach applicant by allowing him to have a major say in who we hire as his AD and work it to your advantage. I fear we're entering a very dark time again for Gopher football and it's 100% due to the idots running our University."

Keep your fingers off the keyboard.....you won't sound so stupid.

Why? he's 100% correct. If you can't agree then you clearly haven't been a fan very long..

Gopher028 said:
Why? he's 100% correct. If you can't agree then you clearly haven't been a fan very long..

We have already been over this

Look this is am Administration problem. They need to get a spine, but that is unlikely since they caved to raving paranoid feminists and pretty much require signed consent forms for both parties, of legal age, who wish to engage in a private interpersonal matter: sexual intercourse.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Some people just like to bitch.
The point about it being a problem with the administration is absolutely correct. So the solution after half a dozen poor ADs in a row is to hurry up and hire another AD and ignore the fact that this administration should take about 2 years to vet one based on the last 4 decades results.
The poster is obviously a logic major.

Look this is am Administration problem. They need to get a spine, but that is unlikely since they caved to raving paranoid feminists and pretty much require signed consent forms for both parties, of legal age, who wish to engage in a private interpersonal matter: sexual intercourse.

Sounds like Teague was your kind of guy.

Nope, but legislating and bureaucratizing interpersonal behavior is Draconian and rushing to either extreme is the most unintelligent response.

Conduct in my home is my responsibility as the home owner. If I know of conduct dangerous to visitors and my family are underway, I have not only a moral duty but a legal one to intervene. The university is home to students that conduct themselves poorly with each other and where consent is not normal and often misinterpreted. If the U decides that all sex on campus requires a consent form, I don't think it is a unintelligent response. It is a policy means of kicking students who misbehave off campus. It is a means of legal retribution for poor behavior. It puts teeth behind the policy. Nothing draconian about my comparative state and the U's. The administration is doing just find to keep riff raff out of the U.

I don't find the actions of the University in regard to sport as being out of line. I think their supervision of sports has been far better than what is posted on this thread. And, I can care less that Claeys was hired before a permanent AD was in place.

Just watch KSTP's interview of Jim Carter. Seriously, go watch it.

That is why they haven't hired an AD. No REAL AD would ever want this job given the joke that this university's administration is. When you have a president undercutting/undermining the head football coach and pulling the strings on the AD, and then the complete disregard from the reagents will not ever produce an AD that is worth anything.

Even John Anderson said he wouldn't touch this AD job with a 10 foot pole. He's even stated to those calling him asking about it to run away.

You know when a university mainstay is telling potential candidates to turn away the AD position that the administration is bleeped.

Kaler needs to let the coaches coach, the AD's work in athletics, and he just do his job as the president of The U. This isn't a knock on Claeys (great hire) or Beth Goetz (potentially could be a great AD as well). This is a knock on the administration and the reagents of The University of Minnesota.

Jerry built 2 and 6. So many excuses made back when in the Kent State game, but the signs were there. It wasn't Jerry playing conservatively, it was this team not being that good.

Agreed. Admittedly, injuries didn't help matters this season. But over the years, it's been an unending flow of rationalizations and excuse-making as to why the program has repeatedly failed. The bottom line is that most of the time, regardless of what the players and coaches say in preseason to hype themselves up, the team almost never that good. That's why I always take the wait and see approach with Gopher football.

Why should it take 6 months to 1 year to hire a new AD? It has been 4 months. If a school is serious about competing at a high level in sports, replacing an AD should be a top priority, and should be completed within 4 months.

Claeys is not the right person for this job. Has never been a head coach, and is learning on the job at a power 5 school.

Kill/Claeys year 5: Expectations were to compete for a B1G West championship.
Reality: 5-7 overall, 2-6 in B1G.
Injuries were a major issue. They were also major issues for Michigan St, TCU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and many others.
0-5 vs. Wisconsin. Christ thoroughly out coached a 'veteran Gopher staff' in his first year as a head coach at Wisconsin. Wisconsin's three best payers in the game: Ogunbowale, Erickson, Schobert - all walk-ons.
1-4 vs Michigan.
2-3 vs Iowa.
0-3 in Bowl games.
Offensive line play continues to struggle. Same goes for QB and WR, where little improvement has been shown in 5 years.

Since Claeys has been promoted, the offense has improved slightly, but the defense significantly regressed. Claeys is a good defensive coordinator, but now that his focus is off of solely defense, the defensive unit has struggled.

The Gopher program is better than it was under Brewster, but it's not to where it was under Mason. I have not seen anything in 4 games under Claeys, to make me believe this program will improve to Mason's level in the near future.

You can make excuses that Claeys was the only option without an AD. You're probably right. There's also no reason why an AD shouldn't have been hired by now. If Claeys fails to meet expectations next year, which is more likely than not based on what I've seen this season, we'll be forced to restart once again.

A restart one year later than it should be if our pathetic Gopher administration could ever get its act together.

Although I like the Coyle hire, all of this still stands. Hopefully the admin and Coyle show that they are serious about winning with whoever the next coach is.

Conduct in my home is my responsibility as the home owner. If I know of conduct dangerous to visitors and my family are underway, I have not only a moral duty but a legal one to intervene. The university is home to students

No, the U of M is not a "home" in that sense. Niiiiiice try with a spin on the word "home" though. But each student has his/her home, whether it's a dorm room, frat, apt, whatever.

And what makes you think the U knows "conduct dangerous" is underway? They only learn of it afterwards.

It's not the U's business to monitor grown-ups 24/7. It's no one's business. But we have a justice system OUTSIDE of the realm of the U that handles that for ALL of us. Unfortunately, the U doesn't like that.

Michigan took longer to hire an AD if I remember right.

Who cares how long it takes to hire someone if it is the right call?

Top Bottom