Blame Continues to Fall Squarely on Gophers Admin

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
Why should it take 6 months to 1 year to hire a new AD? It has been 4 months. If a school is serious about competing at a high level in sports, replacing an AD should be a top priority, and should be completed within 4 months.

Claeys is not the right person for this job. Has never been a head coach, and is learning on the job at a power 5 school.

Kill/Claeys year 5: Expectations were to compete for a B1G West championship.
Reality: 5-7 overall, 2-6 in B1G.
Injuries were a major issue. They were also major issues for Michigan St, TCU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and many others.
0-5 vs. Wisconsin. Christ thoroughly out coached a 'veteran Gopher staff' in his first year as a head coach at Wisconsin. Wisconsin's three best payers in the game: Ogunbowale, Erickson, Schobert - all walk-ons.
1-4 vs Michigan.
2-3 vs Iowa.
0-3 in Bowl games.
Offensive line play continues to struggle. Same goes for QB and WR, where little improvement has been shown in 5 years.

Since Claeys has been promoted, the offense has improved slightly, but the defense significantly regressed. Claeys is a good defensive coordinator, but now that his focus is off of solely defense, the defensive unit has struggled.

The Gopher program is better than it was under Brewster, but it's not to where it was under Mason. I have not seen anything in 4 games under Claeys, to make me believe this program will improve to Mason's level in the near future.

You can make excuses that Claeys was the only option without an AD. You're probably right. There's also no reason why an AD shouldn't have been hired by now. If Claeys fails to meet expectations next year, which is more likely than not based on what I've seen this season, we'll be forced to restart once again.

A restart one year later than it should be if our pathetic Gopher administration could ever get its act together.

Well, five years ago the Gophers were rock bottom. So much for building this program.

Yeah, blame the administration and not the guys on the sidelines. If we had a new AD and didn't hire Claeys, we'd have likely finished 4-8 instead of 5-7.

Hiring an AD is not a process to rush. You don't want to hire another Teague. And if you compare Mason's and Kill's first five years, they look very similar.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Next year will tell the tale. If the team isnt prepared etc and cant win even with the soft schedule then the new AD can fire them and hire their guy. The contract doesnt have a big buyout. Clayes didn't even use an agent to negotiate for him demonstating his confidence and maybe a little bit of foolishness. From claeyes perspective, hes set for life financially.

Yeah, blame the administration and not the guys on the sidelines. If we had a new AD and didn't hire Claeys, we'd have likely finished 4-8 instead of 5-7.

The admin hires the guys on the sidelines right?

They took their time, hired a search firm, and still hired Teague.
So what? Just because taking your time doesn't guarantee the right hire doesn't mean that rushing things us the right decision.

They took their time, hired a search firm, and still hired Teague.

And who hired the search firm? Fair to say the same committee of chuckleheads and the same firm that brought us an uncharismatic failure like Teague should not be allowed in the building.

So what? Just because taking your time doesn't guarantee the right hire doesn't mean that rushing things us the right decision.

How is 4 months rushing things? It's not a top priority. Just like winning at this school is not a top priority. This is why the Gophers are 2-19 against Wisconsin in the last 21 games. That's not just one head coach failing.

Why should it take 6 months to 1 year to hire a new AD? It has been 4 months. If a school is serious about competing at a high level in sports, replacing an AD should be a top priority, and should be completed within 4 months.

Claeys is not the right person for this job. Has never been a head coach, and is learning on the job at a power 5 school.

Injuries were a major issue. They were also major issues for Michigan St, TCU, Wisconsin, Iowa, and many others.
0-5 vs. Wisconsin. Christ thoroughly out coached a 'veteran Gopher staff' in his first year as a head coach at Wisconsin. Wisconsin's three best payers in the game: Ogunbowale, Erickson, Schobert - all walk-ons.
1-4 vs Michigan.
2-3 vs Iowa.
0-3 in Bowl games.
Offensive line play continues to struggle. Same goes for QB and WR, where little improvement has been shown in 5 years.

Since Claeys has been promoted, the offense has improved slightly, but the defense significantly regressed. Claeys is a good defensive coordinator, but now that his focus is off of solely defense, the defensive unit has struggled.

The Gopher program is better than it was under Brewster, but it's not to where it was under Mason. I have not seen anything in 4 games under Claeys, to make me believe this program will improve to Mason's level in the near future.

You can make excuses that Claeys was the only option without an AD. You're probably right. There's also no reason why an AD shouldn't have been hired by now. If Claeys fails to meet expectations next year, which is more likely than not based on what I've seen this season, we'll be forced to restart once again.

A restart one year later than it should be if our pathetic Gopher administration could ever get its act together.
I agree 100%. Hiring Claeys was a short sighted knee jerk reaction that did not need to be made when it was and it will kill this program's momentum for years. People who think we couldn't have found anyone better after these last 5 years knows nothing about college football. I don't care if we currently have an AD or not that's no excuse. If anything you entice a good head coach applicant by allowing him to have a major say in who we hire as his AD and work it to your advantage. I fear we're entering a very dark time again for Gopher football and it's 100% due to the idots running our University.

Nothing about Mason's level was acceptable. How about finding someone that can get to Alvarez's level, or Ferentz's level, or even Bielema's level? Stop putting the bar on the f'ing ground.

Wow, the board is full of Nostradamuses today. Even the "you know nothing about college football" argument. Always a good one.

I agree 100%. Hiring Claeys was a short sighted knee jerk reaction that did not need to be made when it was and it will kill this program's momentum for years. People who think we couldn't have found anyone better after these last 5 years knows nothing about college football. I don't care if we currently have an AD or not that's no excuse. If anything you entice a good head coach applicant by allowing him to have a major say in who we hire as his AD and work it to your advantage. I fear we're entering a very dark time again for Gopher football and it's 100% due to the idots running our University.

I assume you haven't been a Gopher fan long. Thinking our current administration could have 'enticed' anyone is incredibly naive. And as Gopher football goes, this isn't 'very dark times.'

They know nothing! They're nuts!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EklCI7D7Rns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wisconsin's good fortune began in '90 when they hired Barry Alvarez, who won the Rose Bowl game for the '94 season and never looked back. A year later, we hired Jim Wacker.

Mason after 4 years:

1997 Minnesota 3–9 1–7
1998 Minnesota 5–6 2–6
1999 Minnesota 8–4 5–3
2000 Minnesota 6–6 4–4
2001 Minnesota 4–7 2–6

Kill after four years:

2011 Minnesota 3–9 2–6
2012 Minnesota 6–7 2–6
2013 Minnesota 8–5 4-4
2014 Minnesota 8–5 5–3
2015 Minnesota 5-7 2-6 (Counting Claeys record)

After 5 years, Kill's record and Mason's are pretty much identical.

What an absolutely ridiculous post.

I assume you haven't been a Gopher fan long. Thinking our current administration could have 'enticed' anyone is incredibly naive. And as Gopher football goes, this isn't 'very dark times.'

I've missed literally a few home games since 1984 so no I'm not new. And your pathetic attitude of assuming we aren't capable of hiring another good catch is for losers . Im not naive to think we can hire a good head coach and AD. Our 2 rivals within 5 hours of our campus can do it but we cant? If you believe that than you're the naive one.

I've missed literally a few home games since 1984 so no I'm not new. And your pathetic attitude of assuming we aren't capable of hiring another good catch is for losers . Im not naive to think we can hire a good head coach and AD. Our 2 rivals within 5 hours of our campus can do it but we cant? If you believe that than you're the naive one.

We can. But not in the wrong order as you're suggesting. I have a little faith in us hiring a decent AD, though I fear Goetz will get it for the wrong reasons. I have zero faith in her/Kaler 'enticing' any coach worth a damn under the current circumstances.

There's a reason that Illinois just made the exact same choice with a guy/staff far less deserving...

On the expectations of a BIG10 title Vegas had our over/under win total at 5.5 and they were right on. We lost A LOT on both sides of the ball...coupled with injuries you could make the argument this season finished right where it should have.

Agree w you on the defense getting worse. Obviously losing our best D Lineman had a lot to do with that but I'm more concerned with us not playing with fire on that side of the ball. Soft coverage, bad tackling, and out of position too often.

The fact is we have no idea if Claeys can handle this job. The U would be incredibly stupid to part ways with this staff. There are going to be growing pains but they deserve a shot to build on what Kill started.

We can. But not in the wrong order as you're suggesting. I have a little faith in us hiring a decent AD, though I fear Goetz will get it for the wrong reasons. I have zero faith in her/Kaler 'enticing' any coach worth a damn under the current circumstances.
We found a great coach immediately following Brewster but we can't find a good one following what Kill has built? I don't have nor do I accept the low expectations of my fellow Gopher fans. It's a loser attitude right from the beginning.

Nice post yourself, I love how you explained why my post is ridiculous.

You said in your post that not having an AD is not an excuse. True. Every other thing you said was ridiculous.

Mason after 4 years:

1997 Minnesota 3–9 1–7
1998 Minnesota 5–6 2–6
1999 Minnesota 8–4 5–3
2000 Minnesota 6–6 4–4
2001 Minnesota 4–7 2–6

Kill after four years:

2011 Minnesota 3–9 2–6
2012 Minnesota 6–7 2–6
2013 Minnesota 8–5 4-4
2014 Minnesota 8–5 5–3
2015 Minnesota 5-7 2-6 (Counting Claeys record)

After 5 years, Kill's record and Mason's are pretty much identical.

That's my point though. In those first 5 years, Mason beat the #2 team in the country, finished the season ranked in the top 20, and beat Wisconsin once. Kill/Claeys accomplished none of those things.

Mason was eventually fired because he couldn't do better than that. His 'success' was the floor for future coaches. Now we had to race to extend Claeys/staff based on not having success as good/mediocre as Masons. How does that make sense?

You said in your post that not having an AD is not an excuse. True. Every other thing you said was ridiculous.
We didn't need to hire Claeys when we did and I don't think I'm ridiculous for pointing that out. He may be a good coach we will see but people on this board underrate the attractiveness of this job. Any coach out there knows he'd be taking over good kids with good heads on their shoulders following a coach like Kill. It's no dumpster fire, it's a Big Ten program on fairly solid footing right now.

We found a great coach immediately following Brewster but we can't find a good one following what Kill has built? I don't have nor do I accept the low expectations of my fellow Gopher fans. It's a loser attitude right from the beginning.

So Kill is a great coach and you like what he has built but are irate about giving Claeys a shot and adamant that we should roll the dice and start over? You're not making any sense.

I'm glad to see your limited cognitive skills are not limited to politics.

Top Bottom