Jon Cristenson, for a smart student he sure sure is dumb

Why don't we just spread those nuts on the ground and let them step and stomp on them as they make their way into the stadium...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Bring your grinder and we'll grind 'em up and sprinkle them in their pre game meal.

Ya thanks for that

In the context of this thread, you're making the assumption that the grit displayed by those players was fueled by "bulletin board material".

You're assumption is wrong.

Yup, it's always just one thing and threads never derail or expand the scope of the discussion. And no, that was no where near my assumption! But let's say this about your argument that I have to be wrong: Is it possible for a player to be motivated by something unique about each opponent? Could that source in each case be a bulletin board item? Do coaches manufacture bulletin board items that don't exist to motivate their players? "this is what people are saying about us"...or "hear's what somebody told me..." You don't think coaches do that? Some coaches each week?

The definition of bulletin board material isn't just 1950's cut it out of the newspaper and tack it to the board.

I would of thought after his stupid comments prior to the Nebraska game the coaches would have spoke to him about not giving the opponent any extra motivation, and then he comes out and says the following before the Wisconsin game:

"Player-wise, I don't think they are anything special."

"In the past, they've had some pretty neat players that have gone on to the NFL, but this year they are nothing spectacular,"

He went on to say some more comments. I'll include a link to the article. I've never had a least favorite Gopher before, but this knucklehead just changed that.
I don't care if it is true or not, there is absolutely zero reason to say something like that. The ONLY thing it does is give each and every player on the other team extra motivation for the game. And if you say it's not going to make a difference, you're being naïve. A lot of you played sports, and if a player on your arch rival comes out and says they've had some pretty neat players in the past but this year they are nothing spectacular, that gives you plenty of motivation to want to go out and kick that teams ass even more so. And who the hell says neat? Jon, you're 5-6! You haven't won once in the 4 years you've been on this team. You made similar comments before the Nebraska game and got trounced at home to a mediocre team that you beat the previous 2 years!

I just absolutely cannot believe this coaching staff wouldn't have schooled their players on this. Look at the comments he made before the Nebraska game, and then Nebraska went out and kicked their asses up and down the field! There's not much that is dumber, than giving a team something to put on their bulletin board, to basically say there is no one spectacular on their team, particularly when you haven't beaten them in over a decade!!!

Someone please shut this kid up! Fortunately he is a senior! Hey Jon, you can talk AFTER you beat Wisconsin, not when you're 0-4 against them!

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29161283/gophers-football-improved-offense-has-u-confident

old-man-cloud.0.jpg

Do coaches manufacture bulletin board items that don't exist to motivate their players? "this is what people are saying about us"...or "hear's what somebody told me..." You don't think coaches do that? Some coaches each week?

Do their teams ever end up losing?

On the other hand, if Christenson - or any other Gopher - had come out and said something like "I don't think we can win. Wisconsin always beats us," what would the reaction be like on this board?

I would rather have players who are confident and are willing to express that confidence, as opposed to players who hang their heads and expect something bad to happen.

As far as Bulletin board Material, it reminds me of the classic Mike Tyson Statement: "Every fighter has a game plan until they get punched in the face."
Bulletin board material may help a team get fired up in the locker room, but once they run that 1st play of the game, I guarantee that every player on the field is thinking about their assignments, or thinking about how their ribs hurt after that last tackle.

If Wisconsin is really thinking about some comments by a Gopher player, then that takes their focus off the game plan and their assignments, and that could work to the Gophers' favor.

He went to Bethel before the U and is a conservative Christian. Being able to memorize college materials and spitting them back out does not mean you have wisdom. There are plenty of narrow-mind doctors

If you're not motivated enough to want to go and kick a big rivals' ass already, then there is something wrong with you. I'm with those that don't think this kind of stuff matters a whole lot.

The University of Wisconsin twitter account took a few shots at the Gophers today. Do we really think that is going to encourage our players to play even harder?

As usual, GII makes a sound point. I think is is perfectly acceptable to go into every game with a good degree of confidence.

And I think that John Christenson's quotes exude confidence and yet a good deal of respect for Wisconsin.

Maybe

Do their teams ever end up losing?

Maybe a better question is do their teams ever upset somebody who is better than they are? If you can coach at all, you should win pretty much all the time with the most talent. We are not in that position much in the Big Ten.

He went to Bethel before the U and is a conservative Christian. Being able to memorize college materials and spitting them back out does not mean you have wisdom. There are plenty of narrow-mind doctors

What? Sorry, but your comment is just as nut job as what you just tried to rationalize.

Insert "Muslim" for "Christian" and reanalyze your thought process.

On the other hand, if Christenson - or any other Gopher - had come out and said something like "I don't think we can win. Wisconsin always beats us," what would the reaction be like on this board?

I would rather have players who are confident and are willing to express that confidence, as opposed to players who hang their heads and expect something bad to happen.

As far as Bulletin board Material, it reminds me of the classic Mike Tyson Statement: "Every fighter has a game plan until they get punched in the face."
Bulletin board material may help a team get fired up in the locker room, but once they run that 1st play of the game, I guarantee that every player on the field is thinking about their assignments, or thinking about how their ribs hurt after that last tackle.

If Wisconsin is really thinking about some comments by a Gopher player, then that takes their focus off the game plan and their assignments, and that could work to the Gophers' favor.

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a conservative Muslim is just as nuts as most conservative Christians. Like the preacher who wants all gays killed.

1) Was what he said stupid? Yes
2) Is it bulletin board material? Possibly.....inclined to suggest yes.
3) Do statements made by players or coaches determine end result? No
4) Will statement be used by media and victorious side? Absolutely
5) Will Gopherhole use attribution theory and use this statement to prescribe reasons for a win or loss? Absolutely

Looking forward to cheering on Gophers to victory tomorrow.
SKI-U-MAH

Well now the Gophers have motivation to play hard tomorrow as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1) Was what he said stupid? Yes

3) Do statements made by players or coaches determine end result? No

5) Will Gopherhole use attribution theory and use this statement to prescribe reasons for a win or loss? Absolutely

Looking forward to cheering on Gophers to victory tomorrow.
SKI-U-MAH

If it has no effect, then it's not stupid. It'll have nothing to do with the outcome tomorrow. So what? Much BS about nothing. His own coach said he didn't care about his first game ball as a head coach. What he wanted was The Axe. if the astute psychologists on this thread are right, then I would think that would fire the Badgers up a lot more since it's TC, the head guy, saying it. Of course, one of the astute psychologists wasn't even sure TC was interested in the Illinois game.

Well now the Gophers have motivation to play hard tomorrow as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Finally the Gophers have the motivation they need to go out and play hard.

a conservative Muslim is just as nuts as most conservative Christians. Like the preacher who wants all gays killed.

I haven't visited this thread in a while and clicked on the last page...imagine my confusion to see this as the first post. #onlyinthegopherhole

I would of thought after his stupid comments prior to the Nebraska game the coaches would have spoke to him about not giving the opponent any extra motivation, and then he comes out and says the following before the Wisconsin game:

"Player-wise, I don't think they are anything special."

"In the past, they've had some pretty neat players that have gone on to the NFL, but this year they are nothing spectacular,"

He went on to say some more comments. I'll include a link to the article. I've never had a least favorite Gopher before, but this knucklehead just changed that.
I don't care if it is true or not, there is absolutely zero reason to say something like that. The ONLY thing it does is give each and every player on the other team extra motivation for the game. And if you say it's not going to make a difference, you're being naïve. A lot of you played sports, and if a player on your arch rival comes out and says they've had some pretty neat players in the past but this year they are nothing spectacular, that gives you plenty of motivation to want to go out and kick that teams ass even more so. And who the hell says neat? Jon, you're 5-6! You haven't won once in the 4 years you've been on this team. You made similar comments before the Nebraska game and got trounced at home to a mediocre team that you beat the previous 2 years!

I just absolutely cannot believe this coaching staff wouldn't have schooled their players on this. Look at the comments he made before the Nebraska game, and then Nebraska went out and kicked their asses up and down the field! There's not much that is dumber, than giving a team something to put on their bulletin board, to basically say there is no one spectacular on their team, particularly when you haven't beaten them in over a decade!!!

Someone please shut this kid up! Fortunately he is a senior! Hey Jon, you can talk AFTER you beat Wisconsin, not when you're 0-4 against them!

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_29161283/gophers-football-improved-offense-has-u-confident

thanks Jon-- they really made your team look like anything special

Why is no one blaming Jon for today's loss?

Top Bottom