2016 Scholarship Seating on mygophersports.com

So let's say you've been buying ford tauruses your whole life. Ford raises the price 20% to the point you can't afford it anymore. Dealer says hey just buy the festiva. You would buy the festiva right?

Don't think the analogy is valid. So much regarding the game experience is extraneous of where you're sitting- the pregame festivities, the band, the energy of a packed stadium screaming as one (ok- maybe that's an embellishment with many U of M fans being politely quiet) and the post game beer at Stubs. Besides, there isn't a bad seat in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is spot on. If you want to support a team in modern times it comes with significant costs- even poor Oregon State fans out here (of which I've been one) pay $700 per seat for 20 yard line seats. Now that my son transferred to an out-state school I'm using the $ to come back to TCF a couple times a year. If I lived in Mpls I'd be spending it on tix- it's worth every cent. If you're looking for cheap entertainment use Stub Hub, if you want to support a program pony up.

"I'm NOT spending the money but you should. If I was there I sure as heck would spend the money!"

Yeah, have read that many, many times. So pony-up and send the U scholarship fund a check equivalent for the price of a ticket and the additional fee.

It would be the right thing to do yes?

I won't begin to tell people how to spend their money. It's entirely their decision. I've been a season ticket holder since 1996. The price increases did price me out of my current tier (tier 3) and I moved to tier 4. Being in the first row of tier 4 in the upper deck (212) is eye opening. There are a ton of empty seats on the last few rows of tier 3 below me and in tier 4 behind me.

The bottom line is these facts are indisputable:
1. There is NOT demand there to fill up those sections at the current price point.
2. Norwood Teague lied about saying the demand was there.

I won't begin to tell people how to spend their money. It's entirely their decision. I've been a season ticket holder since 1996. The price increases did price me out of my current tier (tier 3) and I moved to tier 4. Being in the first row of tier 4 in the upper deck (212) is eye opening. There are a ton of empty seats on the last few rows of tier 3 below me and in tier 4 behind me.

1. There is NOT demand there to fill up those sections at the current price point.

Pretty certain I will renew for 2016 but I am thinking of renewing in 2017 to a non donation section and then move to two empty seats at midfield amongst the many will past ticket holders have vacated. I don't like the increases either but, on the other hand, I know that it will be very difficult not to be at TCF on gameday.

I will be renewing my 2 seats. I've been a season ticket holder since way back in 2015. Jerry Kill was the HC in those days...

If we lose on Saturday look at the bright side, I'm pretty sure you'll have all of 212 to yourself next year.

"I'm NOT spending the money but you should. If I was there I sure as heck would spend the money!"

Yeah, have read that many, many times. So pony-up and send the U scholarship fund a check equivalent for the price of a ticket and the additional fee.

It would be the right thing to do yes?

I agree and already support the u and other institutions well in excess of this amount. That wasn't my whole point though. My point was that fans going to Gopher games have been enjoying great entertainment for a pittance compared to the cost at many D 1 schools. Now that the cost of "fandom" is rising to levels seen around the country there are 4 options- pony up and accept it as the cost of supporting a great institution, buy cheaper seats without the premium, buy lower price tix off of Stub Hub (unless demand increased greatly if the Gophs success improves) and risk not being able to procure tix or cheer for them away from the stadium.

So let's say you've been buying ford tauruses your whole life. Ford raises the price 20% to the point you can't afford it anymore. Dealer says hey just buy the festiva. You would buy the festiva right?

If I needed a new car, and that was my budget, yes I would. Either that or take public transportation- Which is essentially what you are doing. You're choosing to take public transportation and bitching to everyone on the bus how Ford was trying to screw you over.

Regardless of your ridiculous analogy, the product on the field is the same. It's not like the U was selling you NFL-caliber talent before, and now charging more to watch a high school game. The games themselves are still the same they've always been. Only now, by installing scholarship seating, they're trying to give the fans a better product.

I don't like the new seating plan either. I had to give up my seats to move to something I can afford. Guess what- I'm still enjoying the games on Saturdays, even if my viewpoint is different than it was last year.

I have said from day 1 that the U can do what they want and if they get someone to buy my 4 seats for more than I was paying then good for them (sincerely). I have no hard feelings and don't take glee from empty seats. On the same hand, I don't feel some need to "support the program" nor am I delusional enough to think me stopping my season tix has any effect on the program. I simply found a less expensive way to do the same thing. No glee, but no regrets.

My GOD, if they lose to Wisconsin on Saturday, the season ticket base is going to decimated

Damn.....I knew it was an important game this Saturday, but I didn't know it was THIS important!

There are a few factors keeping me in my season tickets despite the increase.

#1. Wins Losses aside, I am enjoying the experience, both pre-game and in game.
#2. Experience continues to get better each year, larger crowds, better student section attendance and participation.
#3. I have the tickets with my wife and 2 other couples, would want to continue to go as a group.
#4. I like our seats in section 103 and a group of about 10 fans that sit around us are friends that we like to see each week.
#5. I'm lazy and don't want to deal with buying individual game tickets.
#6. Per game price is still a bargain compared to similar quality seats at another event.

Out of those only reasons #4 and #5 really dictate that I keep season tickets versus buying single game tickets in a similar (or better) area for less. For now it's still enough. IF the stadium empties next year, other friends start quitting, prices go up more THEN I might consider losing the tickets, but I am not going to give them up on the assumption that will all happen. Prices went up this year and sold attendance and actual game day attendance are both up from last year.

I sit on non donation area...I'm as far over as I can be without being in donation section

Happy with my seats

happy with no increase

I paid $580 all in last year per seat (or $4,640 with all 8). This year I'm at $780 (or $6,240 all in), next year they want $930 per or ($7,440 all in )

Sorry, I honestly struggle to get rid of tickets most games that U has me paying $140/game next season. I honestly couldn't get $20/piece on stubhub and they think I should be in for $140 per? I feel like my 8 seats have about a 3k value per year, and I was good with donating the difference. I wasn't happy, but Ok with donating the 3,200 difference, I'm not OK with a $4,440 difference. I'm done. I've bought 8 season tickets between the 20s every year at TCF, and had 8 season tickets for 9 seasons at the dome prior. I've honestly dumped over 60k on season tickets the past 16 years, and I'm done. My Gopher score is in the top 200 of all account holders....if they've pissed off #189, I'm guessing those in the 10k-17k range are on my side. God Damn Megatongue

Don't blame you. A near-tripling is unreasonable and unwarranted. People of limited means (the people in front of us for over a decade) are leaving in droves - likewise those buying seats for small children. It's killing the base of the future and giving the stadium over to corporations. Really dumb.

Top Bottom