Time for Line-up Change?

With McBrayer and Dorsey - you can see the talent. They need game time and a little more calm confidence and their outside shots will start falling Dupree has a good stroke. Those kids will be fine, maybe even great players in time.

In Dorsey I see a kid who has speed, strength, and natural aggressiveness and looks physically capable at least of becoming an impact player this year. In McBrayer I see a kid who appears to be less physically capable than I thought he would be at this point. He may become an impact player in time, but I have some doubts about it happening this year.

In Dorsey I see a kid who has speed, strength, and natural aggressiveness and looks physically capable at least of becoming an impact player this year. In McBrayer I see a kid who appears to be less physically capable than I thought he would be at this point. He may become an impact player in time, but I have some doubts about it happening this year.

Wait until the kid sees a few shots go in the hole and gets some confidence. He will be a good one. No doubt he needs some weight room time.

I do. I would put money down that Lynch is better than Konate(least confident on this one), That Fitzgerald is better than Buggs and that Coffey is better than Morris right now. That means that even with no improvement 60% of our starting line-up next year will be better than what we have this year. Let alone Mason and Dorsey getting another year and murphy getting another year to develop into a starting quality PF(sometimes he already looks like he could be). Basketball is a funny sport where 1 different player can have a huge impact on how your team plays... but we'll have 3 new starters (minimum, buggs might move to the 4) next year.

+1

Curious on what you are suggesting here. Are you saying based on last year's performance and 5 games into this freshmen's class season it's time to move on from Pitino after this season? Maybe I am reading it wrong but I would think that might be a bit premature.

Most people understand what type of season the team is looking at as far as their win loss record. Hopefully the team shows improvement each month. Asking a whole lot more than that is unrealistic.

+1

I do. I would put money down that Lynch is better than Konate(least confident on this one), That Fitzgerald is better than Buggs and that Coffey is better than Morris right now. That means that even with no improvement 60% of our starting line-up next year will be better than what we have this year. Let alone Mason and Dorsey getting another year and murphy getting another year to develop into a starting quality PF(sometimes he already looks like he could be). Basketball is a funny sport where 1 different player can have a huge impact on how your team plays... but we'll have 3 new starters (minimum, buggs might move to the 4) next year.

I'd add that Murphy with a year under his belt will be a better 4 than King.

PG: Mason/Dorsey
SG: Coffey/McBrayer/Hurt
SF: Fitzgerald/Gilbert
PF: Murphy/Diedou/Curry
C: Lynch/Konate

That is an 80% turnover in starters with improvement at each spot. Plus much better depth across the board. If JJ gets cleared to play, they could really have some nice lineup possibilities!

Two incoming top 100 freshman will definitely make a difference. Curry may even push Murphy/Fitzgerald.

Is it unrealistic to hope that this is not the worst Gophers team of the last 8 years? I don't want to judge this year's team too prematurely, but they look bad so far.

No it is not unrealistic to hope that. I look at this as the former AD said as the reset year. Though it wasn't a full rebuild job when Pitino was hired it has sort of turned into that. Is that Pitino's fault? Maybe? Maybe not?

Sure it's frustrating and everyone wants results now but Pitino deserves through the 2017 season to see where this program is at.

After watching the past few games there are lot's of holes to fill. That was what I expected this year. Too early IMO to start the blame game, in fact it's not something that should be leveled at this team. It will be a team that may win a few games that they shouldn't win and it's a team that will lose a few games that they should have won. My money is on next year when all of these current players improve and with the addition of the top players coming in ... next year could be and should be much better. It is where this team is. Yes it's getting old to always wait for next year - but what would happen if Pitino is let go after this year? Back to square one again I'm afraid and all that brings to the table. Let's continue to be patient and see what happens in the next couple of years. I don't see any other good options at this point. With progress next year (if that happens) - how will we all feel then? I'm a glass half full guy here.

That is an 80% turnover in starters with improvement at each spot. Plus much better depth across the board. If JJ gets cleared to play, they could really have some nice lineup possibilities!

Two incoming top 100 freshman will definitely make a difference. Curry may even push Murphy/Fitzgerald.

Wow! Talk about unbridled optimism. Some of you guys remind me of fantasy NBA nerds drooling over draft picks and thinking that every other first rounder will be an all star and some 19 year old untested center is going to be the next Hakeem Olajuwon (e.g., Joel Embiid).

Murphy is probably a better pure power forward than King now but I doubt he will ever shoot as well as Joey. In fact, I'll be surprised if anyone on the team next year will shoot as well as well as Joey does now. I'm not confident that Coffey will be better as a freshman than Morris is as a senior either although he may have a higher basketball IQ. Did you also think Dorsey would be better than Mathieu?

If Curry can't play in front of Diedhou, then he will be another wasted scholarship.

Sure it's frustrating and everyone wants results now but Pitino deserves through the 2017 season to see where this program is at.

I agree that he shouldn't be let go after this season because he was given a rare pass to take a step backward in his third season after taking a step backward in his second season. But, if he doesn't win at least 19 regular season games next year, I think they should give serious consideration to canning him.

One should never be afraid of starting over with a new coach if the current one is not satisfactory. You never know. The decision makers could get it right next time.

One should never be afraid of starting over with a new coach if the current one is not satisfactory. You never know. The decision makers could get it right next time.

Sounds like in your opinion the decision makers didn't get it right this time.

I don't mind a "glass half-full" guy, but a "glass 80%-full" guy makes me shake my head. There's a wonderful tradition by some on GH of thinking the new guy is always going to be a great improvement. It would be too depressing to run down the list of players in the last 10 years who didn't meet expectations, got injured, left, did something stupid, were over-rated, etc. It would be great if you're right, but, pardon me, if I want to observe a little bit longer. I do think we'll be better next year, but, outside of Coffey, I'm not sure there is anyone who has enough talent to play in the NBA.

I agree that he shouldn't be let go after this season because he was given a rare pass to take a step backward in his third season after taking a step backward in his second season. But, if he doesn't win at least 19 regular season games next year, I think they should give serious consideration to canning him.

I think this three year trajectory was pretty clear early on from the way the classes were built upon pitino's arrival. Very heavy with upper classmen and several holes had to be filled via transfer. There was really no foundation at all outside of the junior class. The freshman class and Joe Coleman all left and there was no talent left that spring. Once it became clear that top 100 guys weren't jumping on board with the relative unknown of a new coach in the fall after Pitino's hire, this season became inevitable. The Andre hollins class would leave and Pitino had no sophomore of freshman classes that were not recruited out of desperation created by a coaching switch.

Simply put, this season has been in the works since the decision to make the coaching switch. The good news is that the last two recruiting classes should give a sense for the system that Pitino can build.

I grew up watching Bo Ryan slowly but surely get a system in place while watching the Gophers fumble their own program in the process. I think our fanbase severely undervalues what stability will do for a program. I'm not ready to set a bar for next year when our team will be featuring freshman and sophomores. It's way to early to decide what is satisfactory when the core is so young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is typically the biggest fault of freshmen hoopsters? Playing tentative? That's what I'm seeing of Dupree, Dorsey and to a lesser extent Murphy. So it comes as no surprise that after a handful of games into their rookie non-conf season they are struggling. That then leaves essentially King, Morris or Mason to supply leadership and confidence. King is effective when he has space to catch and shoot; without space, he lacks the athleticism to make a play. Mason needs to be more multi-functional, penetrate and dish in addition to pass the perimeter and shoot 3's. In the absence of offense from Mason or King, does it come as any surprise that Carlos will try to fill the void? I'm not saying it's a great option, but if no one else asserts, Carlos will. This raises the question as to the half court scheme currently in place.

1. Summarizing, this team will struggle, but let's look for the freshmen to get their sea legs along the way.
2. Pittino has to improve in the half court offense with plays for King, Mason, Carlos and even some opportuties for Konate, but the ball movement has to improve dramatically.
3. As stated above, we have to give Bakery as many minutes as possible to see what he can be.
4. This year is a stepping stone and we just have to accept it.
5. OSU and PSU were beaten tonight so we're not the only one with problems!

I'm going to remind myself of this as I get angry throughout the season. The rosters for years to come are very promising. And let's not forget future recruiting classes that will get a brand new athletic facility.

I don't know where to post this, but I just have to say how terrible Vanderbilt's raised floor is. I saw it on TV for the first time yesterday. They have an obscene amount of space between out of bounds and the stands. It was actually really confusing to see at first. It completely negates what makes a raised floor great: fans being closer to the court.

What is typically the biggest fault of freshmen hoopsters? Playing tentative? That's what I'm seeing of Dupree, Dorsey and to a lesser extent Murphy. ]

Uuummmm... Dorsey??

3. As stated above, we have to give Bakery as many minutes as possible to see what he can be.
!

That stress fracture didn't exactly have a long time to heal.

Wow! Talk about unbridled optimism. Some of you guys remind me of fantasy NBA nerds drooling over draft picks and thinking that every other first rounder will be an all star and some 19 year old untested center is going to be the next Hakeem Olajuwon (e.g., Joel Embiid).

Murphy is probably a better pure power forward than King now but I doubt he will ever shoot as well as Joey. In fact, I'll be surprised if anyone on the team next year will shoot as well as well as Joey does now. I'm not confident that Coffey will be better as a freshman than Morris is as a senior either although he may have a higher basketball IQ. Did you also think Dorsey would be better than Mathieu?

If Curry can't play in front of Diedhou, then he will be another wasted scholarship.

Actually, Dorsey may be better than Mathieu. Give him some time. Mathieu was terrible last year. As for King's shooting, PF in the B1G isn't where you want your 3pt shooter. It's where you want a rebounding beast who can help guard the paint and score lose to the basket. The wings are going to have to replace King's shooting, not Murphy.

As for Curry being better than Diedou, he should be, I just couldn't remember his name so I put him last.

Don't rain on my parade! I have hope something will eventually go right for the Gophers!

I know it is too early but my biggest concern is players' body language so far. Like Tubby's 5th and 6th year teams, these players don't respond well. This could mean something really bad. Richard can get very frustrated and cause a massive player-transfer that will put the program back for a long time. I hope that I am wrong. I find Dorsey to be the best player in this team.

Actually, Dorsey may be better than Mathieu. Give him some time. Mathieu was terrible last year. As for King's shooting, PF in the B1G isn't where you want your 3pt shooter. It's where you want a rebounding beast who can help guard the paint and score lose to the basket. The wings are going to have to replace King's shooting, not Murphy.

Yes, Dorsey may be better than Mathieu eventually but he isn't right now - he's not better than the senior Mathieu either (who was disappointing but not "terrible). Joey simply isn't a power forward; he's a small forward who has been forced into playing a role that often accentuates his weaknesses. Murphy is a more natural four than Joey but he isn't a better all around player at this point in his career. My view on Morris is that he is much better than some people around here seem to realize and we would have a poorer team if one of Pitino's current freshmen was playing his minutes.

We will be better next year simply because we will have more quality depth but believing that newcomers will be immediate improvements over existing veterans is a bit naive.

What is typically the biggest fault of freshmen hoopsters? Playing tentative? That's what I'm seeing of Dupree, Dorsey and to a lesser extent Murphy. ]

Uuummmm... Dorsey??

Yes, I wouldn't call Dorsey tentative. His sins are sins of commission. That's why I have some higher hopes for Dorsey this year than some of the others.

Sounds like in your opinion the decision makers didn't get it right this time.

Well, the story isn't over and I don't know how the rest of it will unfold, but he's not the type of coach who is normally a Big Ten hire. So far, I'm underwhelmed by this hiring strategy.

For next year I see something along the lines
PG Mason/Dorsey
SG Coffey/ Mc Brayer
Wing Buggs/Fitz
PF Murphy/ Curry
C Konate/Lynch
people seem to write off or want to write off Buggs, but he will be our only senior, having him, Coffey, Murphy and Konate in the starting five give us a lot of length and athleticism on defense and in the press. I think Konate has a higher ceiling than Lynch and having all the minutes this year will give him the edge. Next year, but I look for that to be like Ralph Colt 45 situation where both guys will get minutes. Curry, Fitz Dorsey and McBreyer will get plenty minutes too. This will be deep team where Richard will have plenty of options. Hurt I think will play a little but there just isn't enough minutes go around. Gaston will probably be gone after the 17 season to make room for another scholly in that class. As for Gilbert will see I do think him and Hurt are going to battle for whatever scraps are left for minutes, but you never know. Next year they're a bubble NCAA team, I think they'll get on the right side of it, but I think 17-18 is the year where they could really put something together.

My view on Morris is that he is much better than some people around here seem to realize and we would have a poorer team if one of Pitino's current freshmen was playing his minutes.

Morris can be a complete momentum killer though, every time he comes down and recklessly drives the lane, throws up garbage, or gets a charge without even looking to make a pass he takes four other people out of the offense. They stand around and are basically taken out of the game completely. It doesn't take to many of these types of plays to destroy the offensive flow.

We will be better next year simply because we will have more quality depth but believing that newcomers will be immediate improvements over existing veterans is a bit naive.

We'll see, but I'd put my money on Lynch, Fitzgerald and Coffey making a decent improvement. Remember Coffey is the only freshmen I listed and he is the highest rated freshmen we'll have sign and play with the gophers since Kris Humphries. Though Rodney Williams was only 4 spots lower by 247 composite rankings.

One thing I really liked about Clem was the way he interacted with his players on the bench during the game. If someone was coming out of the game, or sitting next to him, he would often be pointing to the court and explaining things to the player.....always coaching and teaching it appeared.

Switch Curry and Diedou and I agree fully.

Morris can be a complete momentum killer though, every time he comes down and recklessly drives the lane, throws up garbage, or gets a charge without even looking to make a pass he takes four other people out of the offense. They stand around and are basically taken out of the game completely. It doesn't take to many of these types of plays to destroy the offensive flow.

You're judging Morris by only his worst games and his biggest flaws. Teams with few confident and very talented players need someone who will force the action and take difficult shots. Right now we have only 3 players who are confident scorers and Morris is one of them. He's not the most efficient scorer but he's not terribly inefficient either (.517 true shooting percentage).

In one of the called turnovers against Tech (a somewhat iffy one in my view), he was driving into the paint, attracting three defenders, and made a nice bouncer to Gaston who had a wide open path to the basket. He was called for traveling but he was trying to do a good thing. He is third on the team in assist rate among the top 7 players so he isn't that selfish. He needs to cut down a bit on the turnovers but players who attack the defense tend to have more turnovers than those who don't.

people seem to write off or want to write off Buggs

Sure seems like it. Yes - there are things that he can do better. He has also played very well at times this season - and not just offensively, with blocks and rebounding at other times. Buggs has been the 2nd most efficient offensive player behind King. He also has not forced shots like some have. He has to rebound and defend better, and be more consistent - we all know this. But it seems that many go out of their way to write off Buggs, and I really don't understand that.

Top Bottom