Williams Arena will forever be quieter

BleedGopher

Reaction score
My intent of this post isn’t meant to be personal as we all have our “real lives” and GH would be a bore if we actually talked about them! I am writing this because for many/most of us, we have a special relationship with a friend/spouse/parent/child that Gopher sports is a big part of that relationship, and I’d love to hear each of your stories. For me, my foundation in Gopher sports and the person who I shared so many Gopher memories with (my Dad) just passed.

I titled this post that Williams Arena will forever be quieter because my Dad would often say he’s the “self-proclaimed loudest clapper in Williams Arena!” We never questioned this proclamation because he had an odd ability to clap really loud, and the passion behind his clap for the Gophers had a sincere pride that added to the strength of his clap.

My Dad and his best friend had Gopher football and basketball tickets since 1965. Even when our family moved away to different states, he kept the tickets. It was his passion. Our first family dog was named “Clyde” after Clyde Turner. While some kids grew up to Dr. Seuss books, I grew up to bedtime stories about Sweet Lou Hudson, Archie Clark and Ollie Shannon. Literally the earliest memory I have in my life is my Dad picking me up in the air and running around our family basement when Darryl Mitchell hit two free throws with one second left against Purdue in 1982.

When the Gophers lost to Georgia Tech in the Elite 8, I cried. My Mom said “It’s just a game, no reason to cry.” My Dad heard her say that, pulled me aside and said “What’s great about sports is you are a part of something bigger than yourself. Your Mom isn’t wrong, but at the same time, she isn’t right either.” His comment makes no sense if taken literally, but I knew exactly what he meant.

I remember coming home from college spring break the morning after we beat Clemson in the Sweet 16, in what is arguably the greatest Gopher basketball game ever played. He picked me up from the airport and we hugged extra tight and extra long. As happy as we were to see one another after me being away, we both knew that hug was as much about us being a game away from the Final Four! After we beat UCLA, we went down to the Barn together for the welcome home celebration, and of course we were in Indy together in what still goes down as one of the best memories I have with him, in spite of the loss to Kentucky.

When Jason started GopherHole, my Dad became a dedicated reader. He was a longtime lurker, but never a poster. Back in the day, Jason used to highlight one post a day as the “Post of the Day” and when one of mine was selected, my Dad would literally print out the “Post of the Day” recognition and show it to my Mom as if he was proud of a math test I had in middle school.

A prerequisite for me marrying my wife and my sister marrying her husband is each had to go with my Dad for breakfast to Al’s on campus prior to the wedding – and both happily did! A few years later my Dad became a Grandfather and he was appropriately and affectionately called “Grandpa Gopher” – a name he was so proud of! As much fun as we had going to games together, nothing was better to him than taking his grandchildren.

I was fortunate to attend hundreds of Gopher games with him for years. And I am fortunate now to attend games with my buddy IAM4Goldy and we each bring our kids to build that next generation. Later this week our extended family is having a big dinner at Vescios in Dinkytown. I don’t think my Dad actually liked the taste of the food there, but it’s a place that he always chose to go to whenever it was time for him to pick a dinner locale. So we’ll go to the Gopher game on Friday, try to make up the void that his loud clap left behind, and toast to Grandpa Gopher who instilled in me my passion for the Gophers and taught me why it’s important to be a part of something bigger than oneself.

I’d love to hear from others – who is it that you go to the games with, and share that Gopher pride?

Go Gophers!!

Sorry for your loss, Bleed. This would deserve post of the day for sure.

Awesome post bleed and I am so sorry for your loss.

For me it's my grandfather. I will always remember how exciting it was to see the field or court when first walking into the dome or Williams.

My greatest memory was in Indy at the final four sitting between my dad and grandpa. I can still here "let's go gophers" roar out during the 1st half of the UNC-Zona game. My grandfather is an extremely special person, our bond is stronger because of the U and Gopher sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry to hear that, Bleed. You're as respected as anyone on here--seems like your father raised you right. That was a touching post.

I share a similar bond over Gopher sports (particularly basketball because of season tickets) with my dad.

Sorry for your loss Bleed. I love the thought in this post.

I too developed my relationship to gopher sports with my father. I didn't have much of a choice being that young, but I'm sure glad he set this tradition up.

Every gopher game dad and I make a point to drive down to the game together (basketball) and when the team is traveling our family makes it a priority to sit down and watch it together.

**** I think there's more bonding on the car ride to and from then actually being on campus because at that point we have work to do; cheering for the gophs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Bleed. So sorry for your loss. There is nothing like the loving bond between parent and child, and you have captured it so very well. Peace with you and your family in the days ahead.

Thoughts and prayers are with you Bleed. I lost my father this past year, lived 94 years all as a Gopher fan. He taught me a lot of Gopher football history. He was a friend of Bruce Smith back in the day. I actually took him to his first basketball game at the Barn in about 1981. At his funeral, the priest who was a life long friend of my dad's and was also 94, joked that he tried to convert dad to be a Notre Dame fan, but he never wavered on his passion for the Gophers.

My condolences, Bleed, but what a wonderful tribute to your dad. My Dad would have celebrated his 88th birthday this past Saturday (he passed away unexpectedly in 2004 and I still feel his loss every day), and while he was a Michigan State grad, he took enormous pride in me attending Minnesota (and he hated the Badgers too, despite living in Madison for 40+ years). I bought him a maroon and gold sweatshirt for Christmas one year with MINNESOTA emblazoned across the chest, and he wore it proudly (too much, if you asked my Mom). Keep his memories alive and when the magic comes back at The Barn, he'll be there with you, clapping loudly.

So sorry for your loss Bleed.

I fondly remember going to Gopher homecoming football games with my dad at Memorial. Walking down frat row and watching the band march in to the stadium...Going to some great basketball games at Williams with my dad. This was back when he was getting season tix from his company on the regular. My dad is still around, 75 years old, and still loves to follow the Gophers, has a good friend that has season tix for football and gets over about once a year. I live in Wisconsin, but these events regularly in my youth, made me a Gopher fan for life!

Sorry for your loss Bleed. You are one classy man. Your parents did well.
Unfortunately, I don't have a similar story to share since my dad was not a sports person. The only thing that he had in common with your dad was his clap. You could hear it from miles away.
RIP grandpa Gopher.

My condolences Bleed. Sounds like your father was a great guy. The fonder the memories and the tougher the loss.

Bleed,

The memories you shared will stay with you forever.

RIP Grampa Gopher.

Bleed,
So sorry for your loss. No one can take away the memories of a great dad. Obviously the apple did not fall far from the tree. I pray for your family to have peace and solace in the days ahead. You were blessed to have him.

Bleed, my condolences on your loss. Thanks for sharing your memories.

My fondest memories of The Barn with my father actually are on the hockey side. My mother was working for the head coach's hockey camp in the late 70's and would give us GA tickets, which at the time were the upper deck. If you got in the first 3 rows, you had the best seats in the house.

We would get there early and it would be a mad dash to get the prime real estate. I was about 7 years old and I can remember my dad dragging me as fast as he could, my feat weren't even hitting the steps.

Those games sparked my interest in Gopher hockey and sports in general.

Bleed, what a nice memorial post. Thank you for sharing, and God bless you and your family with peace and healing in your loss.

Hang in their Bleed. I hope you take comfort and think of your father every time you hear the Rouser!

The stadium got a lot quieter for me when Halsey Hall passed. I am fortunate that my parents are still watching the Gophers.

Your father and you are in my prayers.

RIP "Grandpa Gopher"... if possible, a little intervention on Saturday would be appreciated ; )

Beautiful post, Bleed, for a beautiful man. I had the pleasure of seeing Grandpa Gopher at many games...and there is not greater Gopher fan (or person), I'll ever know. He really lit up the room, and he will be missed by far too many. Condolences and love, Bleed. Thanks for sharing.

What a sweet memorial - thank you for these great stories. Fabulous memories, and I know your making more with your own family.

And you've followed in his footsteps - connecting people via your love of the U sports. I've met a lot of great people via this message board. It's a tribute to him.

My sincere condolences, Bleed. The Gophers have lost a great fan and even better person, but I know he'll have a lot of pride watching future games from above knowing he left such a great legacy and touched so many people. I officially recognize this as the Post of the Day in memoriam Grandpa Gopher.

My condolences, Bleed.

Your dad was a very nice person who I had the honor of meeting at an event at Senser's years ago.

Sorry for your loss Bleed, sounds like your father was a great man that has created memories with you that will live on forever.

Bleed....we go back along way although we've never met in person. I had a few beers with your dad at Stub-n-Herbs with other Gopherhole members prior to us attending Midnight Madness some 10-15 years ago. Fun was had by all and I left with 2 impressions of your father - he was a passionate Gopher fan and he was very proud of his son. I'd like to think he's upstairs having a cold one with Flip talking hoops. Condolences, my friend.

Sorry for your loss, Bleed. And thanks for sharing your story. It was very touching.

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Bleed. So sorry for your loss. There is nothing like the loving bond between parent and child, and you have captured it so very well. Peace with you and your family in the days ahead.

Please add my prayers and condolences, Bleed. Very sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your dad with the inspiring post.

Sorry for you loss Bleed. He sounded like my kinda guy! Thoughts and prayers to your family.

What a very touching tribute to your father! Those wonderful memories will be cherished by you and the entire family for generations to come.

Great post Bleed. Your dad had Gopher blood in his veins like my dad. I remember my dad saying after the Vikings moved here. " I wish them well and will watch them play because of my love for football, but remember this will always be a Gopher household, plain and simple" I've instilled that spirit in our family. As my son coined after the Friday night meltdown against Michigan: "Dad, it takes someone special to be a Gopher fan." When you think about the trials and tribulations of Gopher football and basketball,
I couldn't phrase it better.

Top Bottom