College Hoops Are Unwatchable

Someone should do a search but I think this thread pops up every year about this time. College basketball largely sucks until conference play. Too many mismatches and players are learning new systems etc. This thread won't reappear in March.

It is time to scale back the non-conference or make it meaningful. I would love a BCS coach to say there is no merit in playing cupcakes and schedule a non-conference schedule comparable to their actual conference schedule. if that is not possible, increase the conference schedule to home and home games with every member and reduce the non-conference accordingly. A 26 game Big conference schedule would be awesome (and fair).

The conference season ramps up the atmosphere and intensity but right now the quality of play is still really bad. Its the combo of constant whistles and bad play. I think the biggest thing they could do is extend the 3 point line. May lead to decreased shooting but it would open up the floor a bit, especially against zone teams

The conference season ramps up the atmosphere and intensity but right now the quality of play is still really bad. Its the combo of constant whistles and bad play. I think the biggest thing they could do is extend the 3 point line. May lead to decreased shooting but it would open up the floor a bit, especially against zone teams

I like this idea.

for me, one of the biggest changes in College ball is the 1-and-done era. When I was in HS and College, nobody left school early for the pros - and as a result, teams would stay together for 3 or 4 years. At the start of the season, I knew who would be starting for UCLA, or any of the other top teams - shoot, I even could name some of the bench players for the top teams. You could watch a team develop - follow a player from his FR or SO year through his SR year. I can remember sitting around talking about sports, and getting excited about seeing what a player like Maravich or Bill Walton would be like as seniors.

But now, with players jumping to the pros after 1 or 2 seasons, the continuity has been lost - and ironically, the NBA has more "name" players. 20 years ago, Wiggens, Towns and LaVine would all be SO or JR in college - now they're in the NBA.

I don't think it has to be an either-or situation. I can watch the Gophers, and turn over and Watch the Wolves, and find something to enjoy in each style. The difference is - I'm watching the Gophers to follow the team. I watch the pros to follow the individual players.

So true what you say about one and done etc..

I think Acie Earl played eight or nine years. What made CBB more enjoyable for me was watching the very different styles of play and how they match up. Speed up vs slow down. Half court offense and match-ups.

I'm afraid CBB is looking more and more like NBA. Back and forth, shoot 3's, pick and roll.

Bring back Judd, Bobby and Gene.:cheer:

Top Bottom