College Hoops Are Unwatchable

jamiche

Reaction score
I know there is some edict from above about removing physical contact from the game so that there can be more "flow." The solution is that the refs have killed flow in the name of restoring flow by endless foul calls. There were 45 fouls called in the gophers' game and I just checked the Butler box score and 45 fouls had been called with seven minutes left. The FSU game at Williams last year had 61 fouls. They are killing a great sport.

I know there is some edict from above about removing physical contact from the game so that there can be more "flow." The solution is that the refs have killed flow in the name of restoring flow by endless foul calls. There were 45 fouls called in the gophers' game and I just checked the Butler box score and 45 fouls had been called with seven minutes left. The FSU game at Williams last year had 61 fouls. They are killing a great sport.

It's early season, give the teams time to get used to the new rules and points of emphasis.

Fouls will go down. They always do

Guy with almost 14,000 posts on a college hoops website saying college hoops are unwatchable.

I know you're frustrated, but that just made me chuckle.

Izzo smiled when he walked off at halftime against Kansas and said they have to figure out a way to stop fouling, indicative of the way the season is going to be.

Could be worse, could watch the NBA

The NBA is a much better game now. Better athletes and they let them play. The college game used to have the advantage of a better atmosphere and a shorter season so each game meant more. Now there are so many "scrimmage" games played in half empty arenas that the distinction has diminished somewhat.

It's early season, give the teams time to get used to the new rules and points of emphasis.

It would be interesting to find out if there are more fouls called than ten years ago.

Jammer, don't watch then. Easy solution for you. :)

Jammer, don't watch then. Easy solution for you. :)

If you look around Williams these days there are a lot of people opting for that solution, which is a shame.

The NBA is a much better game now. Better athletes and they let them play. The college game used to have the advantage of a better atmosphere and a shorter season so each game meant more. Now there are so many "scrimmage" games played in half empty arenas that the distinction has diminished somewhat.

True.

For me its hard to watch more than the 4th quarter of an NBA regular season game because it seems like that is when those guys really start playing as hard as they as they can and turn it on. College basketball is still much more enjoyable for me to watch much better atmospheres, effort, and even with a longer season more intriguing matchups most of the time.

Agreed Goldy. The NBA, with its tangled web of ridiculous rules is absolutely unwatchable. It has become more an exhibition of skill than a true contest (I'll go see the symphony, theater or globetrotters if I want to see that).

For me its hard to watch more than the 4th quarter of an NBA regular season game because it seems like that is when those guys really start playing as hard as they as they can and turn it on. College basketball is still much more enjoyable for me to watch much better atmospheres, effort, and even with a longer season more intriguing matchups most of the time.

+1. That said, I'm not a fan of changing the rules to make it 'more like the NBA'.

Disagree. The NBA is very sophisticated now and defense, which is effort, is strongly encouraged. If you watch a wolves game and listen to Jim Peterson, his analysis of what is on the screen is borderline scientific. The half dozen or so wolves games that I attend a year are in seats that are close enough to the action where I can appreciate how hard the players work. Even on a historically sh$tty team.

Agreed

Could be worse, could watch the NBA

True

No never

If you look around Williams these days there are a lot of people opting for that solution, which is a shame.

A little early for that. Especially last Sunday....probably last great outdoor day of the year.

The NBA with it's great athletes, has outgrown the size of the playing field. It's why the women's game is enjoyable to watch........it's played below the rim.

GO GOPHERS!

Agreed.

I'm not a fan of changing the rules to make it 'more like the NBA'.

Agreed.

Could not agree more! HOWL WOLVES:)

Disagree. The NBA is very sophisticated now and defense, which is effort, is strongly encouraged. If you watch a wolves game and listen to Jim Peterson, his analysis of what is on the screen is borderline scientific. The half dozen or so wolves games that I attend a year are in seats that are close enough to the action where I can appreciate how hard the players work. Even on a historically sh$tty team.

Agreed. I'm grew up not watching much NBA and was a huge fan of all college basketball. Big Monday in the early nineties was must see tv. I'm now getting to the point where I can watch Gopher games, but pretty much nothing else until tournament time. And yet I can enjoy sitting down and watching NBA games. Not sure why that is, but I think it also has to do with the talent on the teams. College teams seemed to have a lot more talent 20 years ago, so the game was more enjoyable to watch. Although I can't discount that if we suddenly became a final four contender, it might peak my interest in how other top teams are doing...

Agreed. I'm grew up not watching much NBA and was a huge fan of all college basketball. Big Monday in the early nineties was must see tv. I'm now getting to the point where I can watch Gopher games, but pretty much nothing else until tournament time. And yet I can enjoy sitting down and watching NBA games. Not sure why that is, but I think it also has to do with the talent on the teams. College teams seemed to have a lot more talent 20 years ago, so the game was more enjoyable to watch. Although I can't discount that if we suddenly became a final four contender, it might peak my interest in how other top teams are doing...

While I still and always will enjoy watching college hoops...Heck, I enjoy watching my son's 5th grade traveling hoops, so all hoop is fun.. that said, while I enjoy all of it, the NBA if far superior in terms of how its played, execution, etc. Those who say otherwise don't actually watch the NBA.

I'll always love the pageantry and nostalgia of Gopher sports more than the pros, especially in person and on game days. But you can't tell me the quality of play and the entertainment value of the Vikings and Wolves right now isn't intriguing. When Wiggins, Towns, and Rubio are clicking, that's a fun squad to watch.

Anyone bringing out the lame 'NBA players don't play hard' stuff is just talking out their necks and not paying attention. That Warriors v Clippers game last night was epic. The advantage CBB had was atmosphere, differing styles of play and urgency with the shorter season. Now the game is getting really brutal to watch at the same time the NBA is getting much more open and fun as teams are shooting 3's and attacking the rim and spreading things out and pushing the pace. A legit criticism of the NBA is that with longer games and longer seasons the sense of urgency/importance is a little different. You can really ignore a lot of first halves of games and still see the most important parts.

Everybody has their preferences. Lots of people like to watch soccer. Go figure. As for me I'll watch college ball any day of the week over NBA ball. In time, when Pitino has the team competing at a higher level - which could be as soon as next year, the Barn will be full again with people who like good college basketball and the atmosphere.

This really is a golden age for the NBA. The level of sophistication, overall talent, pace and space style of play etc has really taken the game to the next level. People who trot out the same old "they don't play hard", "they don't play defense" gibberish are doing so on pure ignorance.

I know pro sports aren't for everyone (I MUCH prefer CFB to the NFL for instance) but I find it very hard to argue that college hoops is more entertaining than the NBA. I love the Gophers, will follow the B1G closely, and the tourney is and will always be awesome. But between that- there is going to be a TON of low level, turnover ridden, ugly ball being played.

Use today's game vs. Missouri St as another example. Touch fouls called on nearly every possession. Unbearable.

Use today's game vs. Missouri St as another example. Touch fouls called on nearly every possession. Unbearable.

Yeah. And sometimes they call nothing. I have no clue what is or isn't a foul anymore. It's like the NFL catch rule.

This really is a golden age for the NBA. The level of sophistication, overall talent, pace and space style of play etc has really taken the game to the next level. People who trot out the same old "they don't play hard", "they don't play defense" gibberish are doing so on pure ignorance.

I know pro sports aren't for everyone (I MUCH prefer CFB to the NFL for instance) but I find it very hard to argue that college hoops is more entertaining than the NBA. I love the Gophers, will follow the B1G closely, and the tourney is and will always be awesome. But between that- there is going to be a TON of low level, turnover ridden, ugly ball being played.

College ball will always be my favorite because of the Gophers, but I would have to be blind not to notice how the college game has taken a hit in both play and excitement. The NBA is really good right now.

Someone should do a search but I think this thread pops up every year about this time. College basketball largely sucks until conference play. Too many mismatches and players are learning new systems etc. This thread won't reappear in March.

It is time to scale back the non-conference or make it meaningful. I would love a BCS coach to say there is no merit in playing cupcakes and schedule a non-conference schedule comparable to their actual conference schedule. if that is not possible, increase the conference schedule to home and home games with every member and reduce the non-conference accordingly. A 26 game Big conference schedule would be awesome (and fair).

I know pro sports aren't for everyone (I MUCH prefer CFB to the NFL for instance) but I find it very hard to argue that college hoops is more entertaining than the NBA. I love the Gophers, will follow the B1G closely, and the tourney is and will always be awesome. But between that
I thought the 90's were better for the NBA, ut it's certainly better now than it was 10 years ago.

for me, one of the biggest changes in College ball is the 1-and-done era. When I was in HS and College, nobody left school early for the pros - and as a result, teams would stay together for 3 or 4 years. At the start of the season, I knew who would be starting for UCLA, or any of the other top teams - shoot, I even could name some of the bench players for the top teams. You could watch a team develop - follow a player from his FR or SO year through his SR year. I can remember sitting around talking about sports, and getting excited about seeing what a player like Maravich or Bill Walton would be like as seniors.

But now, with players jumping to the pros after 1 or 2 seasons, the continuity has been lost - and ironically, the NBA has more "name" players. 20 years ago, Wiggens, Towns and LaVine would all be SO or JR in college - now they're in the NBA.

I don't think it has to be an either-or situation. I can watch the Gophers, and turn over and Watch the Wolves, and find something to enjoy in each style. The difference is - I'm watching the Gophers to follow the team. I watch the pros to follow the individual players.

And pretty much anytime a player has the ball under the basket and a defender is standing behind him with his arms up, a whistle is getting blown with any shot attempt. Then the call late against King where the kid drove into him, there was minimal contact down low and none up top was just horrific. They're trying to make it a completely non contact sport

Top Bottom