2015 Head Coach Vacancies

Syracuse fired their coach too. Another opening. Every time another coach gets canned, it makes me happier that Claeys has already been offered and accepted the job.

Syracuse fired their coach too. Another opening. Every time another coach gets canned, it makes me happier that Claeys has already been offered and accepted the job.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...er_fired_as_syracuse_football_head_coach.html

A source confirmed the report to syracuse.com and another source has said players are being called in to a meeting.

Shafer, who was promoted from defensive coordinator after Doug Marrone's departure in January 2013, finishes his tenure with a 13-23 mark. The Orange is currently 3-8 this year heading into its season finale against Boston College.

After coaching SU to a 7-6 record and Texas Bowl win in his first season, Shafer struggled through a 3-9 campaign mired in injury and lowlighted by the demotion of offensive coordinator George McDonald.

Facing one of the largest defensive rebuilds in college football history, Syracuse opened 2015 with its first 3-0 start since 1991 before losing its next eight contests — the longest in-season skid since 2005. An embattled fan base became more disgruntled as upset scares of No. 1 Clemson and then-No. 2 LSU weighed against a host of questionable in-game decisions.

Athletic director Mark Coyle, who started in July, has not spoken publicly since issuing a wait-and-see approach regarding Shafer's future in early September.

Shafer said he had one season left on his contract on Nov. 12 and likely would have had to been extended or bought out for the program to recruit in 2016.

Shafer arrived at Syracuse in 2009 and spent four years working as defensive coordinator under Marrone. In 2010, his unit was one of the best in the country, ranking seventh in total defense, 10th in pass defense and 13th in scoring defense.

He had previous defensive coordinator stops at Michigan (2008), Stanford (2007), Western Michigan (2005-06) and Northern Illinois (2000-03). Shafer also served as defensive backs coach at WMU (2004) and NIU (1996-99) before breaking into the coaching ranks as the secondary coach at Rhode Island from 1993-95.

Hey, did you guys hear that Syracuse fired their coach?

This is going to be a wild off season. If LSU ends up canning Miles as well there will be some bigtime jobs opne, and that doesn't even factor the NFL plucking anyone from the college ranks.

I'm very interested in what college Chip Kelly ends up at next year.

Why can you recruit California kids to Pullman better than you could recruit Texas kids to Ames. The distances are pretty much the same.

Long story short, west coast kids historically have shown the inclination to stay in the Pacific timezone — Pac-12 is fairly isolated as far as CFB is concerned. California kids playing in the Pac-12 (and the MWC/WAC to an extent) are all but guaranteed multiple chances per year to play in their home state. Plus, every other game is broadcast at at a decent hour, and cheaper airfares from carriers like Southwest make travel very affordable west of the Rockies.

Texas kids, on the other hand, have closer proximity to a larger amount of traditional powers (SEC), in addition to all the BigXII schools (OU/OSU/TCU etc). Frankly put, there are a lot more compelling locations way closer to the state of Texas than Ames. AND you aren't even the flagship school in a state of ~3million people.

Iowa State is a really, really tough sell.

What sense does that even make? Should they stop running the triple option at Air Force and Navy?

If you are a coach who aspires to be in the P5, and you view Iowa State as your best option, you are too desperate. Paul Johnson has turned Georgia Tech into a strong program that runs the triple option, there are schools with much better fundamentals than Iowa State to turn around. Like Kansas, Iowa State is just a dump program with no natural advantages, no history, and almost (if they had been left out of a potential Pac-16) no future.

Every day you think being a Gopher fan sucks, it could be worse, you could cheer for the Cyclones.

If Claeys doesn't hire someone like Adam Weber, he should have some very good candidates amongst all this turmoil.
That being stated, I wouldn't be surprised if some assistants were to move on this year. That would be okay too. Stability is great but new ideas enhance that.

"" Every day you think being a Gopher fan sucks, it could be worse, you could cheer for the Cyclones. "

Lets not pat our success on our backs just yet. ISU is not much further down the ladder then we are and they beat us in a bowl game a few years back. Their stadium is bigger than ours and the game day atmosphere is so much better than ours it is not even close. They also may end up with a better long term solution at coach-- if they land Briles, Riley or Calhoun I would say they out did our selection.

If Claeys doesn't hire someone like Adam Weber, he should have some very good candidates amongst all this turmoil.
That being stated, I wouldn't be surprised if some assistants were to move on this year. That would be okay too. Stability is great but new ideas enhance that.

We have an OC and QB Coach. I don't think Adam Weber will be DC or DB coach.

bumping the list

Brett McMurphy ESPN:

Now 13 FBS openings: Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa State, Maryland, Miami, Missouri, North Texas, South Carolina, UCF, ULM, USC, Virginia Tech, Syracuse

thanks ice

"" Every day you think being a Gopher fan sucks, it could be worse, you could cheer for the Cyclones. "

Lets not pat our success on our backs just yet. ISU is not much further down the ladder then we are and they beat us in a bowl game a few years back. Their stadium is bigger than ours and the game day atmosphere is so much better than ours it is not even close. They also may end up with a better long term solution at coach-- if they land Briles, Riley or Calhoun I would say they out did our selection.

If you measure program's foundation for success based on how many seats are in a stadium, how much people drink before the game, and the results of the 2009 Insight Bowl I will never be able to say anything to change your mind.

And Briles to Iowa State? Get real.

If you measure program's foundation for success based on how many seats are in a stadium, how much people drink before the game, and the results of the 2009 Insight Bowl I will never be able to say anything to change your mind.

Remember Brewster was our coach Biggest surprise was we were even in a Bowl.

Fine-- we are 2-5 in conference and they are 2-6. We are head over heals better then ISU.

Too say that being an ISU fan is much worse than us is not saying much. We have struggled and suffered being a gopher fan for 40 years and we have no bragging rights over anyone. Briles could end up there as the Big 12 may not have many openings this year and would be able to recruit the same areas.

Hey Syracuse, Doug Marrone is available.

Any rumors about Bill Snyder retiring? I'm hoping he will so they hire someone else this year. Otherwise in 1-2 years I think Claeys will be a high target for them.

Fine-- we are 2-5 in conference and they are 2-6. We are head over heals better then ISU.

Too say that being an ISU fan is much worse than us is not saying much. We have struggled and suffered being a gopher fan for 40 years and we have no bragging rights over anyone. Briles could end up there as the Big 12 may not have many openings this year and would be able to recruit the same areas.

I'm not going to quibble about *how much* better our program's situation is than ISU's. I will just reiterate my previous point, Minnesota has much better fundamentals and past successes upon which to build compared to ISU, and leave it there.

Secondly, Briles has built Baylor into what it is today, and there are a number of other factors to suggest he wouldn't leave that program for Iowa State.
-He has a .646 winning percentage and two conference titles at a school that many considered a doormat for a long time.
-He is less than a four hour drive from his hometown, and has spent his whole life/education in Texas.
-He ushered in a new era of Baylor football, including Heisman trophy wins, and a brand new stadium that sets them up for continued success.

Frankly, the suggestion that Iowa State could pull Briles away from BU is ludicrous.

This wins as the most preposterous statement on GopherHole this year. Which is saying a lot.

Art Briles has spent 36 years coaching in the state of Texas with the hopes of one day moving to Ames, Iowa.

I assumed he was talking about Kendal Briles, Baylor Offensive Coordinator and the 2012 B12 recruiter of the year. I haven't kept up with coaching rumors though, so I'm not sure if he's looking to leave BU or not.

I assumed he was talking about Kendal Briles, Baylor Offensive Coordinator and the 2012 B12 recruiter of the year. I haven't kept up with coaching rumors though, so I'm not sure if he's looking to leave BU or not.

I assumed a college team wouldn't take a chance on a 31 year old kid coaching for his dad who has a history of recruiting violations.

Either way I would guess the Briles clan is staying in Waco for the foreseeable future, getting blown out year after year by papa might make Holidays awkward.

I apologize I did not clarify- not Art Briles but his kid. I have read articles that he is on the short list.

If you are a coach who aspires to be in the P5, and you view Iowa State as your best option, you are too desperate. Paul Johnson has turned Georgia Tech into a strong program that runs the triple option, there are schools with much better fundamentals than Iowa State to turn around.

Such as . . . ?

What's in between Minnesota, the type of school that wouldn't want anything to do with the triple option, and a Kansas or Iowa State?

I heard Bo Pelini was on their list also

Zero percent chance. Their AD hates coaches with "difficult" personalities. In 2007 he had the opportunity to hire Jim Harbaugh and Brian Kelly and passed on both because he thought they would be too much trouble to work with.

Top Bottom