2015 Head Coach Vacancies

Would be a great recruiting help to Iowa and possibly MN. Steal some Nebraska kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have got to be kidding. Nebraska produces maybe a handful of legit D1 players per year, tops. And two of the best in this year's class have already said no to Big Red. Iowa does just fine recruiting Nebraska as it is.

Such as . . . ?

What's in between Minnesota, the type of school that wouldn't want anything to do with the triple option, and a Kansas or Iowa State?

Colorado, UCF, USF, NCST, WVU, Pitt, Virginia, Maryland etc

I threw in some non P5s too.

I assumed a college team wouldn't take a chance on a 31 year old kid coaching for his dad who has a history of recruiting violations.

Either way I would guess the Briles clan is staying in Waco for the foreseeable future, getting blown out year after year by papa might make Holidays awkward.

Kendal Briles wouldn't even return a phone call from Iowa State, but word is he is a top candidate at North Texas.

Kendal Briles wouldn't even return a phone call from Iowa State, but word is he is a top candidate at North Texas.

That would be a good job for him.

Much more realistic expectations, better familiarity geographically, would benefit from dad's recruiting coattails too.

You have got to be kidding. Nebraska produces maybe a handful of legit D1 players per year, tops. And two of the best in this year's class have already said no to Big Red. Iowa does just fine recruiting Nebraska as it is.

Coaches recruit other states and territories. I didn't mean just in state.

the salary difference would be about 3 times mores at ISU-- I would guess if offered both he wouldn't think long at which one to take

Iowa State University has fired head football coach Paul Rhoads. According to Cyclone fans and friends, yesterday's terrible loss/ending at Kansas State was the final straw.

Go Gophers!!

FHjvx9n.jpg

In 2007 he had the opportunity to hire Jim Harbaugh and Brian Kelly and passed on both because he thought they would be too much trouble to work with.

Sure he did. Just like we had the opportunity to hire Tony Dungy and Mike Shanahan. If either of those coaches were legitimately interested in coaching at Iowa freaking State, Pollard would've crawled through broken glass to hire either one of them. I'm well aware that plenty of articles said this at the time, so you can save it. That's the agenda that he wanted to push to make his job opening look more appealing. They turned down Kelly and Harbaugh to hire Gene Chizik? Use some common sense.

Any word on NFL guys that would translate to College? Definitely guys from the NFL going to take and get looks.

Chip Kelly?
Bill O'Brien?
Gus Bradley?

These guys are under contract, but the off-season could be really crazy.

Sure he did. Just like we had the opportunity to hire Tony Dungy and Mike Shanahan. If either of those coaches were legitimately interested in coaching at Iowa freaking State, Pollard would've crawled through broken glass to hire either one of them. I'm well aware that plenty of articles said this at the time, so you can save it. That's the agenda that he wanted to push to make his job opening look more appealing. They turned down Kelly and Harbaugh to hire Gene Chizik? Use some common sense.

At the same time Jim Harbaugh wasn't Jim Harbaugh, yet he left San Diego to coach Stanford in 2007, Stanford was in really bad shape at the time, probably worse than ISU is Today. Brian Kelly? Can't remember if he was at Cincy yet or not in 07 or if he was still at Central Michigan. Gene Chizik was the out shot OC for Tommy Tubberville's Auburn teams. In hindsight I agree it's laughable, but at the time not so much.

(UPDATE 11/24) We are told today a tentative agreement on an offer in principle between USC and Tom Herman has been reached. The deal is contingent on Herman and his wife liking what they see when they visit USC (the South Carolina one) and Herman and Ray Tanner being comfortable with one another. That visit could take place as early as Sunday or the first part of next week depending on the outcome of Houston’s game Friday with Navy. A Houston loss would expedite the process. All information at this time points toward Herman. All other names are simply fallback prospects should things not work out with Herman.

Taking the South Carolina job would be a pretty stupid move for Herman imo. He could wait a little while (even as soon as later this hiring cycle) and get a much better job than that.

Taking the South Carolina job would be a pretty stupid move for Herman imo. He could wait a little while (even as soon as later this hiring cycle) and get a much better job than that.
I agree with you, there's at least a 50/50 chance that the Georgia job comes open, if the rumors of Fisher to LSU are true that's also a bettter job.

It looks like Bill Cubit could get a 2 year deal with Illinois if they are competitive this weekend against Northwestern.

It looks like Bill Cubit could get a 2 year deal with Illinois if they are competitive this weekend against Northwestern.

Well I would hope so, as it seems like he's done a pretty good job (on very short notice) of fielding a mostly competitive team in what might easily have become a disastrous season in the wake of the train-wreck that Beckman left behind. I've been wondering how on earth they're recruiting, when recruits just like the coaches themselves don't know if they'll even be there next year? Sounds like an impossible task trying to sell that kind of near total uncertainty, so it would really probably behoove them to give the job to Cubit and preserve the little bit of continuity he's got going on there.

I know there are rumors but why would Jimbo Fisher leave FSU for LSU? How is LSU a better job? How is Jimbo a better coach than Miles?

I know there are rumors but why would Jimbo Fisher leave FSU for LSU? How is LSU a better job? How is Jimbo a better coach than Miles?

I don't get it either, given the choice of battling it out with the entire SEC or just Clemson, I'm staying as FSU. Miami is years away from relevance and I've got a shot at the playoffs nearly every year.

Head Coaching Rumor Tracker

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...coaching-rumors-jobs-candidates-carousel-2015

The 2015 edition really launched in October's second weekend, when Steve Spurrier just up and left South Carolina, with firings and resignations following elsewhere. Add that to Illinois firing Tim Beckman before the season even began, and that's 14 that have been open already, meaning something like half of the FBS coaching jobs that will come open are already open.

We're basically a month ahead of schedule. That means far more coach rumors to keep track of than usual.

For your sanity and ours, we'll keep track of it all below, updated daily. Anything missing? Drop it in the comments.

You can keep scrolling for everything..:

Illinois fired Tim Beckman
Iowa State fired Paul Rhoads
Hawaii fired Norm Chow
Maryland fired Randy Edsall
Miami fired Al Golden
Missouri's Gary Pinkel will resign
Minnesota hired interim Tracy Claeys to replace the retired Jerry Kill
North Texas fired Dan McCarney
South Carolina's Steve Spurrier resigned
Syracuse fired Scott Shafer
UCF's George O'Leary resigned
ULM fired Todd Berry
USC fired Steve Sarkisian
Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer will retire

Re: Iowa State. There'S always someone who thinks he can come in and win at a school like Iowa State. D1 coaches have egos, and they like a challenge - or they wouldn't be in coaching to begin with. If everybody thought IA State was hopeless, then no one would take the job. I dare say that people were saying the same thing about MN at some point during the last 40 yrs.

I'm not saying it'S easy, but it's not impossible.

Re: Iowa State. There'S always someone who thinks he can come in and win at a school like Iowa State. D1 coaches have egos, and they like a challenge - or they wouldn't be in coaching to begin with. If everybody thought IA State was hopeless, then no one would take the job. I dare say that people were saying the same thing about MN at some point during the last 40 yrs.

I'm not saying it'S easy, but it's not impossible.

As arguably the worst P5 job they need a gimmick, a Ken N or something similar.

As arguably the worst P5 job they need a gimmick, a Ken N or something similar.
Willie Fritz? He runs a power option at Georgia Southern. This article describes him as being in the "Jerry Kill model", i.e. lots of success at lower levels, ready for next step.

@schadjoe: Former Hawai‘i quarterback and Nevada offensive coordinator Nick Rolovich named Hawai’i head coach.

Jimbo might be pissed it took so long to remove Bobby B from FSU.

@schadjoe: Former Hawai‘i quarterback and Nevada offensive coordinator Nick Rolovich named Hawai’i head coach.

Hawai'i sure look like it's program night get scrapped soon. Hard to believe after June Jones had then in a BCS bowl. Awesome island but a dump of a campus.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...coaching-rumors-jobs-candidates-carousel-2015

The 2015 edition really launched in October's second weekend, when Steve Spurrier just up and left South Carolina, with firings and resignations following elsewhere. Add that to Illinois firing Tim Beckman before the season even began, and that's 14 that have been open already, meaning something like half of the FBS coaching jobs that will come open are already open.

We're basically a month ahead of schedule. That means far more coach rumors to keep track of than usual.

For your sanity and ours, we'll keep track of it all below, updated daily. Anything missing? Drop it in the comments.

You can keep scrolling for everything..:

Illinois fired Tim Beckman, hires interim Bill Cubit.
Iowa State fired Paul Rhoads
Hawaii fired Norm Chow hires Nick Rolovich
Maryland fired Randy Edsall
Miami fired Al Golden
Missouri's Gary Pinkel will resign
Minnesota hired interim Tracy Claeys to replace the retired Jerry Kill
North Texas fired Dan McCarney
South Carolina's Steve Spurrier resigned
Syracuse fired Scott Shafer
UCF's George O'Leary resigned
ULM fired Todd Berry
USC fired Steve Sarkisian
Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer will retire
Tulane fired Curtis Johnson

Tulane fires Curtis Johnson. Illinois keeps Bill Cubit.

Where Will All The Dominoes Fall?

From today's Sports Illustrated.

The final weekend of the college football regular season has traditionally been capped by Black Sunday, a day of dismissals, short press releases and athletic officials huddling to hire a new coach. But this has been unlike any other season in the history of college football, with 14 jobs already open.

The initial plan for this column was to post projections on Monday. But after talking to coaches, athletic directors and agents over the past week, it became apparent that would be much too late, as the tenor of the industry is fluctuating between urgency and panic.

Just as the trend this season has gone full-throttle toward quickly firing coaches, athletic directors want to hire just as fast. There's a fear of losing this game of coaching musical chairs and ending up without one of your top choices. That's why the search firm Parker Executive Search is holding interviews for the Central Florida and Iowa State jobs on Sunday and Monday. It's also why Syracuse officials are already flying around the country to interview candidates.

That's why Virginia Tech is expected to name Justin Fuente as its head coach in the next few days. And that's why athletic directors at schools bracing to lose coaches are fraught with paranoia, as the market will be picked clean by the time their job opens.

And there's still a flurry of unknown variables that could further shake an already volatile job market. The first two are LSU and Georgia, traditional powers who need to decide if another coach is the best bet to break them out of a pattern of recent underachievement. There's the Chip Kelly factor, as the feeling surrounding his tenure in Philadelphia has changed precipitously the past two weeks after blowout losses to Tampa and Detroit.

There's also 12 NFL jobs that are open or could potentially open—Miami, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Detroit, Tennessee, San Diego, Philadelphia, Washington, New York Giants, New Orleans, St. Louis and San Francisco.

Here's the latest on the 13 major college jobs available (Minnesota filled internally already) and speculation on a few others destined to open.

http://www.campusrush.com/les-miles-mark-richt-coaching-carousel-1481714899.html

Top Bottom