#5 Iowa is going DOWN on Saturday night

Couple years ago I was in Marshalltown, IA for my brother in laws wedding. In the hotel elevator with two of my young kids ages 8 & 6. I was making small talk with a Hawkeye fan that was headed to the game that day. Told him we were Gopher fans. He paused for a moment and did the old, oh, they still have a team up there? Classy, this guy was in his mid forties and didn't smile after he said it and just walked off the elevator. Hawkeye fans remind me of the Packer fans. Think they are gods gift to football. They know it all, just ask them.

Couple years ago I was in Marshalltown, IA for my brother in laws wedding. In the hotel elevator with two of my young kids ages 8 & 6. I was making small talk with a Hawkeye fan that was headed to the game that day. Told him we were Gopher fans. He paused for a moment and did the old, oh, they still have a team up there? Classy, this guy was in his mid forties and didn't smile after he said it and just walked off the elevator. Hawkeye fans remind me of the Packer fans. Think they are gods gift to football. They know it all, just ask them.

That offended you?

If it was before the NIU game, just take solace in how much anger that guy felt afterwards.

Unlike the Twin Cities, Iowa in general is a place with limited avenues of interest and Marshalltown has less points of interest than most larger Iowa towns. In places like that lots of people tend to be a bit too emotionally invested in college sports and historical rivalries. Plus, all sports teams tend to have their share of jerk fans and, of all major sports, football probably attracts the jerks with the most misplaced testosterone.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That offended you?

It wasn't what he said, it was how he said it, how serious and arrogant he was and the body language. It didn't offend me, just thought the guy was a dweeb. I was just trying to make uncomfortable elevator talk and the dude got all cocky serious.

I can't remember a year where I wanted to beat Iowa more....
their fans think they're a legitimate playoff team, who will beat OSU
and could beat anyone and win the national title.

Iowa could easily lose Saturday, and the Nebraska game in two weeks could be tough as well. At the same time, if they win out, and play Ohio State in Indy, they are capable of winning that game, and that will put them in the 4 team playoff. If somehow they end up beating Michigan or Michigan State, then they might get jumped by a Big 12 team.

Iowa is a much different team than the 14-51 team. The QB is huge improvement, and the play calling is much better. They also have three very good RBs and the defense is much more solid with one more year of experience, even with #95 DE Ott out. The Offensive line is very good as always.

I think the 2009 era team, with the three great LBs had a better defense, but this one is tough. If Leidner can throw the ball and force them to spread out, then we might be able to run the ball. There is no way this Iowa Defense is better than Michigan's or Ohio State's, even if they are solid.

On a personal note, LB Josey Jewell is from Decorah Iowa and his family owns or owned a great deal of land northwest of town, upriver from Luther College. My grandfather once lived on some of that land, and at one time he and his father (pre 1940) owned some of that same land, and hundreds more acres all around the Upper Iowa River and Bluffton (Village) Iowa. If I had personally inherited all that land, I could spend all my time traveling to all Gopher football games, with tourist stops during the week between games and then living by the beach from January 10th until the end of August. Oh well

I miss have Richardson out for this game, but I doubt Butthead makes it into the 2nd half. TC will take advantage of that broken groin and he'll end up much like his cousin Rudder.

I'm sorry you had to come to my hometown... This town has gone downhill fast the past couple years.

Top Bottom