Possibilty of making a bowl game at 5-7

Thanks for putting that together! You mention the Rutgers having the better APR if they get to 5-7. Any idea what other teams would have a better one if they got there as well? There has to be some other 4 win teams that could win Saturday moving them to 5-7?

I don’t think Appalachian State and Georgia Southern can play in a bowl because they’re in their 1st year of “transition” to FBS.

According to Wikipedia, this is the second year in FBS for both Georgia Southern and Appalachian State. Also, I've seen them in a number of bowl projections.

Okay, I have too much time on my hands this morning, so I am trying to analyze this.

There are 80 bowl spots to be filled.
Thus far, I count 69 bowl-eligible teams (this morning’s Strib says 71, but I don’t think Appalachian State and Georgia Southern can play in a bowl because they’re in their 1st year of “transition” to FBS). As noted by another poster, they're both eligible. That means there's only 9 spots left.

That leaves 9 spots to be filled. There are 14 teams that need just one more win to get in:
Gophers 31.9%
S. Alabama (0.3%. This one is unfair because it includes two games -- but they'll be heavy underdogs in both)
Nebraska 48.7%
Vanderbilt 8.2% (They're 4-7 by the way...I assume you included them because they'd beat us on APR with 5 wins? But Rutgers is same.)
VaTech 66.5%
IU 53.3%
Washington67.5%
Mizzou 19%
E Carolina 51.9%
Tulsa 68.8%
Buffalo 68%
San Jose St 20.8%
Kentucky 39.7%

You forgot
Illinois 41.4%
Old Dominion 34.4%

There are also 4 teams who have 2 games left to play and would need to win both to get to 6 wins:
K-State 28.9%
Texas 3.3%
Louisiana- Lafayette 3.6%
Ga State 2.9%

Great work! For fun (and because I also have nothing to do right now), I added the ESPN "win out" probability for each team in your post. I actually count 9 bowl spots remaining and 14 teams needing 1 more win (with 4 more needing 2 wins). 7 of those teams are hovering around a 50% chance of reaching winning that 6th game according to ESPN. You never know in college football, but who thought we'd be looking up APR scores on November 23? Hilarious!

Gentlemen...please! There will be no bowl unless we beat Wisconsin.

You are likely correct.
I'm just filling time.
It turns out that this might all be bunk anyway. I read a very brief article that the APR score only applies to the top APR scorers overall (not just among bubble teams). Several of the top 5 are already in bowls. The article I read (I can't find it again), said that the NCAA would have to come up with a new criteria. Hopefully, they wouldn't let an FCS win count as one of the 5.

You are likely correct.
I'm just filling time.
It turns out that this might all be bunk anyway. I read a very brief article that the APR score only applies to the top APR scorers overall (not just among bubble teams). Several of the top 5 are already in bowls. The article I read (I can't find it again), said that the NCAA would have to come up with a new criteria. Hopefully, they wouldn't let an FCS win count as one of the 5.

This article?

ESPN gives a 5-6 Nebraska team a 48.7% chance to beat an 11-0 Iowa team? Interesting...

Top Bottom