Gophers Sweep Northeastern With 4-3 Victory

Reaction score
A four-goal first period was all the Gophers needed to complete the sweep of Northeastern on Saturday night at Mariucci Arena. Here are some notes and quotes following the hard-fought victory.

Don Lucia
On what clicked for the offense this weekend:
"We had some more opportunities, I think that's first. We were able to score a power play goal each night. That's something that makes the game a little bit easier when you can get a power play goal each night. Just getting off to good starts, that first seven, eight, 10 minutes of the game and we made some nice plays. There hadn't been a lot of that. I thought in the offense zone we did a better job using our defensemen. Our defensemen made more plays from the blue line than they did the first few games. Again, that's just the process we have to go through with group. They're not that experienced, they weren't leaned on a lot. Now, some of these guys we have to lean on.

...It was a good two wins. We obviously had to have two wins this weekend. We didn't want to go into the off week losing tonight so it makes it a little easier when you feel like you're making some progress with your team. I thought Eric [Schierhorn] did a nice job again tonight. Maybe he was a little overaggressive in that second period, chasing a few pucks, but what I liked about his game was he was rock solid there in the third."

Leon Bridstedt
On scoring his first goal of the season:
“We’ve played four games here and I haven’t really gotten it going so far but you just have to work hard and stick to your game. Eventually the points and goals are going to come. You can watch the big league, there are really good players that haven’t scored points yet. There’s nothing you can do about it. You can’t worry, you just have to battle every day, work hard in practice and eventually it’s going to come for you. I feel that’s what happened today.”

On playing with Hudson Fasching and Tommy Novak:
“It’s great [playing with those guys]. Novak is really skilled. He’s a really smart player. Me and Fasch played a little bit together last year; I think we have that chemistry. We’re really good down low working. We play simple together, that’s why I like playing with Fasching. I know where he’s going and I know where he puts the puck. It’s easy for me to read and we can make some good plays together.”

Michael Brodzinski
On struggling to maintain the lead late in the game:
“We were all just battling trying to get pucks out of our zone and into their zone. It’s tough playing a team like that where they just keep pressuring. We just have to get it out of our zone and make the simple plays.”

On what they learned having to hold the lead late:
“We learned we can battle through any adversity. We have a young team but they’re learning real quick.”

On if he expected logging lots of ice time:
“Yeah, I had a lot yesterday, too. I had about 25 minutes. Today I had a few long shifts that we just got stuck in our zone. I have to play however many minutes is going to help my team so, yeah, I think I did expect it.”

On what went right for the team this weekend:
“I think our low-to-high game. Our forwards were using our D more. The D got shots the net and we just created rebounds.”

On Eric Schierhon’s performance:
“Those goals weren’t his fault. We have to block some shots in front of him. He’s been amazing for us these whole five games we’ve played so I’m not putting any blame on him he’s amazing so far.”

By the Numbers
17 Seconds between Gophers goals in the first period when Michael Brodzinski and Leon Bridstedt scored to give Minnesota a 3-0 lead.

5 Points this season for Brodzinski (1g, 4a), which leads the Maroon and Gold.

2 Wins this weekend - the most important number.

Three Stars
3 Leon Bridstedt (1g, 1a)

2 Michael Brodzinski (1g, 2a)

1 Hudson Fasching (2g)

What’s Next
The Gophers have a bye next weekend but resume play at Notre Dame on November 6-7.

A sweep is exactly what we needed. Hopefully we can build on this. Notre Dame won't be easy.

I think we just saw what we'll be seeing a lot this year.....periods of dominance and brilliant goaltending followed by undisciplined play and inexperience. Hopefully there's plenty of good teaching moments the coaching staff can hit on and with all the goals scored, the team is gaining confidence. Gonna be a fun but also frustrating year.

I think we just saw what we'll be seeing a lot this year.....periods of dominance and brilliant goaltending followed by undisciplined play and inexperience. Hopefully there's plenty of good teaching moments the coaching staff can hit on and with all the goals scored, the team is gaining confidence. Gonna be a fun but also frustrating year.

Completely agree. Last night was a good teaching moment of how not to play with a lead. I think Northeastern outplayed the Gophers for much of the final two periods, including a couple stretches where they looked like they were on the power play, but it was even strength. Part of it is the game plan when you have sizable lead--a more conservative, defensive style--but that doesn't mean you can relax and let the other team out-hustle and outplay you.

I'm really interested to watch Schierhorn progress this season. He let in that soft, five-hole goal but late in the game he was very impressive and made a handful of huge saves on prime scoring chances.

He has a very aggressive, almost out-of-control style at some points during the game. Sometimes, he gives me flashbacks of watching Jeff Frazee sliding around the crease and having to scramble back to make saves. I wonder if better teams will be able to take advantage of his aggressiveness with passing and puck control, to get him out of position for better scoring opportunities.

I'm really interested to watch Schierhorn progress this season. He let in that soft, five-hole goal but late in the game he was very impressive and made a handful of huge saves on prime scoring chances.

He has a very aggressive, almost out-of-control style at some points during the game. Sometimes, he gives me flashbacks of watching Jeff Frazee sliding around the crease and having to scramble back to make saves. I wonder if better teams will be able to take advantage of his aggressiveness with passing and puck control, to get him out of position for better scoring opportunities.

You can bet on it that teams like Michigan will try to do this. Its up to our coaching staff to recognize this and make sure our D-men are in position to help. As long as Schierhorn stays in his crease until the horn sounds, unlike Frazee did against North Dakota, I think he will be really good.

Top Bottom