Schierhorn's Shutout Leads Gophers to 4-0 Victory Over Northeastern

Reaction score
Three weeks into the season and the Gophers FINALLY picked up their first win – a 4-0 shutout of Northeastern. Youngsters stepped up in a big way for Minnesota as two freshmen scored their first goal and goalie Eric Schierhorn earned his first win with a shutout.

In the Win Column

The Gophers felt the pressure mounting after their sloppy 0-3 start. Getting the first vicotry was a big boost for the young Minnesota team.

“It feels really good,” said Hudson Fasching who tallied a goal and an assist. “Getting the wheels going a little bit in those first couple games. We’re kind of starting to mesh as a team. That’s what we’re trying to focus on. Building our team and building the right habits.”

In their three losses, the Gophers looked tense. Things looked completely different on Friday with a three-goal first period.

“We’ve been pressing these last three games,” said Jack Glover who knotched his first career goal on Friday. “It’s not the start that we envisioned but we’ve learned from every single game we’ve played so far and we applied some of those teaching points tonight and it worked out.”

Shutout for Schierhorn

Despite not picking up a win until Friday, freshman goalie Eric Schierhorn has been a solid backstop for the Maroon and Gold.

“He’s more than settling in, he looks at home,” said Glover of his goalie. “He’s been our best player by far each of the four games we’ve played and tonight I think was his best game yet.”

Schierhorn’s performance impressed his head coach.

“Eric earned that shutout,” said Don Lucia. “We still have the issues of the giveaways. We had some big ones tonight but Eric was there to cover up any mess that we made.”

Freshmen Cash In

The Gophers have a young squad this year, playing six true freshmen skaters on Friday. Tommy Novak tallied his first goal and assist while Tyler Sheehy also sniped his first in the Maroon and Gold.

“A couple of freshman scored their first goals and it’s always nice to get that first one,” said Lucia. “Tyler’s was a nice shot. That was a goal scorer’s goal.”

Freshman Jack Sadek played in his first collegiate game. The Lakeville native made a great play to set up the Sheehy tally.

“I thought Jack Sadek did a nice job stepping in after [Steve Johnson] got hurt this week at practice,” said Lucia. “For his first college hockey game coming out of Lakeville (North) High School…He made a nice play on the one goal and I think he got more confident as the game went on.”

By the Numbers

3 Gophers scored their first collegiate point.

6 Penalty minutes for defenseman Nick Seeler who displayed his physical nature against the Huskies.

.250 Save percentage for goalie Derick Roy who was pulled after giving up three goals on the Minnesota’s first four shots.

Three Stars

3 Jack Glover scored his first collegiate goal.

2 Tommy Novak also scored his first goal as a Gopher and added an assist.

1 Freshman Eric Schierhorn earned his first win with a 23-save shutout performance.

What’s Next

The Gophers will look to break out the brooms tomorrow evening at 8 p.m. The game can be seen on FOX Sports North.

Sadek's pass to Sheehy was one of those plays we've been waiting for. And Schierhorn's glove snatch of a shot to the open net early in the game was the first of many big saves. From my angle, I didn't think he had a chance. However, his teammates made him work for the shut out by sending three breakaways his way. In fact the penalty bug, pretty much disrupted the Minnesota offense for the final two periods.

It's good to get a win and always good to hear "Scoring his first goal in the Maroon and Gold....."

Top Bottom