Pride on Ice Preview: Gophers Look for First Win Against Northeastern

Reaction score
Northeastern (1-2-0) vs. No. 19 Minnesota (0-3-0)

Puck Drop: Friday – 7:05 p.m. CT, Saturday – 8:05 p.m. CT

TV: Friday – FOX Sports North Plus, Saturday – FOX Sports North

Stream: BTN2Go, FOX Sports Go

Radio: 1500 ESPN, Gopher Radio Network

INSIDE THE MATCHUP​

The Gopher and Huskies have met 14 times with the Gophers holding a slim 8-6-0 advantage. Eight of the last ten meetings have been decided by one goal.

The Gophers dropped a close game to Northeastern early last season, 3-2.

Minnesota holds a 5-0 National Championship advantage.

STORYLINE CENTRAL​

Joshua Brown of USCHO recaps Northeastern’s series last weekend. After winning their opening game of the season, the Huskers were surprisingly swept by Bentley.

Since we’re just a couple weeks into the season, a yearly preview is still a worthwhile read for a team many Minnesota fans won’t know a lot about. Conor Ryan of SBNation College Hockey previews the Huskies.

NOTES AND QUOTES​

Slow Start
The Gophers are 0-3 and haven’t looked good in any game so far. Despite the poor start to the season, the young Minnesota team isn’t giving up.

“This team really practices well,” said Don Lucia. “They practice hard every day. That’s the thing I’ve been most impressed with. We’ve actually practiced, at times, better than what we’ve played. Now the challenge is playing the way the practice, into a game. Obviously games become more difficult because you’re going to have more pushback, there’s more traffic you have to deal with coming up the rink.”

Finding Scoring
Usually one of the most prolific offenses in the country, the Gophers have been atrocious this year putting the puck away. Through three games, the Maroon and Gold have managed just one goal. Without high-powered scorers up front, the Gophers are looking for production.

“I think the first couple of games we put a little too much pressure on ourselves,” said Justin Kloos. “There’s a new formula this year. Last year, it was obviously different. We had guys like Rau and Boyd—guys to lean on. This year we just have to get used to it and not put too much pressure on ourselves as far as gripping our sticks a little too tight when we’re in close to the net. We just have to relax and play hockey. We’ve been doing this for a long time and every day we just have to realize that we’re pretty good at this game and we can rely on our skill and our effort and make some plays.”

The Gophers have struggled in the neutral zone which has led to very little offensive attack.

“It seems like we’ve been choppy, whether it’s been breaking out or neural-zone regrouping and that has led to very little offensive zonetime,” said Lucia. “I thought we made some progress, the last couple periods of the game Saturday, we came up the rink a lot fluidly than what we had done earlier.”

Scouting Northeastern
Playing a team from out east isn’t new for Minnesota, but the Gophers will have to do their homework in preparation for this weekend.

“We haven’t done the pre-scout yet,” said Nick Seeler of the Huskies. “We’ll do some video tomorrow and Friday to learn about more on them. They’re a tough team; we’re going to have to be ready to play them.”

The Gophers met Northeastern last year for one game. The Huskies pulled out the victory, 3-2, over the No. 3-ranked Minnesota squad.

“I just talked to Frank [Mazzocco] and I was going to say, I don’t remember a whole lot,” said Kloos of the game. “We went out east and played Boston College the night before and beat them 6-2; I remember that. I think we looked past them a little bit and it was just one of those close games, just waiting for one team to get a bounce. They got a fluky goal and they were able to close us out, I think, 3-2.”

The winless Gophers aren’t overlooking anyone this year.

“Obviously can’t look past them this weekend, especially with our slow start,” said Kloos. “I think they’ll come in with a lot of jump getting a chance to play at Mariucci so we have to be ready.”

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/567113?referrer_id=388419

Here are some additional quotes from the weekly media availability.

Nick Seeler:

On getting out there and smacking some guys in different jerseys:
“It feels good. I was just saying to one of my teammates that it feels good to hit someone other than him so it’s great to be out here, it’s great to be a Gopher.”

On if he hits his teammates:
“I try not to finish my checks too much but every once in a while, you know. Lucia said pancake, I try not to do that in practice but I like to play physical. If anything, I just want try and help my teammates play a little tougher, a little better, and it’s going to benefit them in the future so might as well play a little tougher on them.”

On being a physical defenseman:
“I’ve always liked the physical part of the game. I think it something that a team needs. Every once in a while a big hit can get the boys going and turn the momentum of the game. If I’m able to do that, it’s great, but my priority is being tough in the defensive zone, good first pass, and help the forwards get up the ice.”

On sitting out all last year and only being able to practice:
“It was really difficult. It got easier over the course of the year and it did go by fast, it really did. Being able to sit up on the concourse and watch the games, I’ve never been able to do that, and you get a better feel for the game and kind of learn how much space you have and how much patients you can have. It was nice to be able to do that but I’m just glad I’m able to play this year.”

On where guy’s heads are at after the slow start to the season:
“Guy’s heads are good. We’re fine. We had some growing pains, obviously, but we’re ready to play Northeastern. We’re excited. We’re not thinking too much about the past, we’re just learning from our mistakes this week. We had a good week of practice and we’re doing well so far.”

Justin Kloos:

On how practice has been going this week:
“It’s been good. Guys got back to work and had to put last weekend behind us and get back to work. It’s a long season so we’re keeping our confidence and just getting ready to play Northeastern before our bye week.”

Don Lucia:

On what he’s seen out of Nick Seeler:
“I talked to the guys in the locker room and I kind of highlighted some guys that have kind of exceeded my expectations. He didn’t make the top four, but he was on the cutting edge. I think he’s done a nice job after having sat out a year. He’s kept his composure. He’s kept his discipline and he brings that hard-nosed element to our team that you need.”

On Eric Schierhorn’s psyche as a freshman goalie and how he’s played:

“I don’t look at it as wins and losses, I look at it as how he’s played. You do have to worry when they get in there and they get bombarded at little bit but, the way he’s played, I think I’ve seen growth in his game from having Justin Johnson work with him. And I think I’ve seen progress from game one to game two to game three. That’s what’s encouraging to me. Coming in, for me, that was probably one of my biggest question marks was how are we going to be [at goalie] and he’s given us good goaltending, I think, all three games that he’s played. He’s made some big saves. I think he’s made the routine saves. He’s shown that he can handle the puck and I think he’s been a real bright spot for us so far this season.”

Here are the lines for the Gophers:

Taylor Cammarata - Justin Kloos - Jack Ramsey
Leon Bristedt - Tommy Novak - Hudson Fasching
Brent Gates Jr. - Vinni Lettieri - Connor Reilly
Ryan Reilly - Darian Romanko - Tyler Sheehy

Nick Seeler - Ryan Collins
Jake Bischoff - Jack Glover
Jack Sadek - Michael Brodzinski

Eric Schierhorn in net.

Ryan Reilly makes his season debut as Jack Sadek wears the Maroon and Gold for the first time. I was a big fan of Sadek at Lakeville North last year but he is fresh out of high school so we'll see how he handles the transition. I like putting Ramsey with Kloos and Cammy. The freshman has really surpassed expectations in the first three games. We'll see if the new combos can generate some offense.

Lines for the Huskies

Kevin Roy - John Stevens - Nolan Stevens
Zach Aston-Reese - Adam Gaudette - Dylan Sikura
Mike McMurtry - Dalen Hedges - Jason Cotton
Lincoln Griffin - Brendan Collier - Sam Kurker

Jarrett Fennell - Eric Williams
Colton Saucerman - Jon Barry
Matt Benning - Jake Schechter

I'm guessing Derick Roy in net.

The guy to watch for Northeastern is Kevin Roy. The senior has 125 (!) points in 104 games played. He's off to a slow start this year with just one assist in three games but he's certainly dangerous.

good to see us putting the puck in the net tonight. about time.

Here are tonight's starters for the Gophers:

Tyler Sheehy - Justin Kloos - Connor Reilly

Jake Bischoff - Michael Brodzinski

Eric Schierhorn

On the plus side: we got to hear the Battle Hymn for the first time this season. And Gopher Hockey broke out at the puck drop. It continued until Northeastern called a first period time out to stem the goal flurry at 4-0.

On the minus side: We got a 4-3 game with large parts of the second and third period dominated by Northeastern. Of particular note: with about 4:30 left in the third period, Northeastern so dominated the attack zone that they could change two and, at least once, three skaters and still keep the puck away from the scrambling Gophers.

Top Bottom