Gophers vs. UMD Home-and-Home Series

Reaction score
No. 13/15 Minnesota (0-1-0) vs. No. 7 Minnesota Duluth (0-1-0)
Puck Drop: Friday – 7:05 p.m. CT, Saturday – 7:07 p.m. CT
TV: FOX Sports North
Stream: BTN2Go (Friday only), FOX Sports Go
Radio: 1500 ESPN, Gopher Radio Network

Inside the Rivalry
The Gophers hold an impressive 134-77-17 advantage over the Bulldogs. Minnesota is 74-33-9 at home and 55-40-7 on the road against Duluth.

Last season wasn’t great for the Gophers, posting just a 1-4-0 record against UMD including a season-ending loss in the NCAA Tournament.

Minnesota holds a 5-1 National Championship advantage.

Storyline Central
Mike Wellens of the Duluth News Tribune writes about the Bulldogs’ struggle with penalties in their first game. Against Bemidji State, UMD gave up 12 minutes of power play opportunity.

The Bulldogs’ Carson Soucy will not be suiting up for Friday’s opener. Jeff Cox of SBNation College Hockey has the latest on the Wild prospect’s suspension. The hit was MASSIVE and you can see why he has to sit out.

The Bulldogs were involved in one of the most interesting events of college hockey’s opening weekend. The Duluth News Tribune details how a power outage forced a rescheduling of what would have been UMD’s season opener last week.

Notes and Quotes
Sophomore defenseman Ryan Collins is looking forward to playing the Bulldogs after last year’s disappointing finish.
“I’m looking forward to playing them,” said Collins. “It was a long summer, after playing that last game, and none of us forgot about that.”

The Bulldogs present a high-flying explosive offense. The Gophers will have to improve on last week’s loss to Vermont if they want to contain UMD.

“We don’t change our game too much,” said Collins. “Obviously we know what the other team is going to do and we’ll practice that as far as their neutral-zone trap. We worked on that and their penalty kill. We really want to focus on how we play. We’re very confident in our game and we know if we play the way we want to play, that we can take it to any team no matter how they play.”

After getting blanked in their opener, the Gophers will need more production from their freshmen forwards against Duluth.

“There are guys in new roles; guys in elevated roles and obviously we had about seven freshmen playing,” said Connor Reilly.
“We’ve had significant lineup changes and because of that, the way guys respond, who’s playing with who, the chemistry, the cohesiveness is certainly going to be different and that’s something we’re going to have to really work on in practice.”

Don Lucia agreed that scoring will need to come from the youngsters.

“Freshmen are going to have chip in, certainly we have a lot of them playing, and guys that are elevated in our lineup with power play time and top-nine minutes, they’re going to have to produce,” said Lucia.

Along with questions up front, Minnesota’s goalie situation is also up in the air without the dependable Adam Wilcox this season.

“I don’t know what we’re going to do yet with our goaltending,” said Lucia. “To be honest, we really haven’t even talked about it as a staff, yet. We’ll discuss that in the morning and which direction we’ll want to go.”

Freshman tender Eric Schierhorn got the first start and, despite the loss, didn’t look out of place.

“I like the fact that he didn’t beat on the first shot,” said Lucia. “He’s got to work on his rebound control, obviously. He’s competitive. I think Justin [Johnson] is going to be great for him because he hasn’t had a goalie coach. He fights and battles. I think over time you’ll really see him grow.”

Can't wait. My sister graduated from UMD and I have 2 cousins that currently go there. Always a fun weekend full of trash talk.

Can't wait. My sister graduated from UMD and I have 2 cousins that currently go there. Always a fun weekend full of trash talk.

It'll be fun, for sure. Good test for the young Gophers to play against one of the most talented teams they'll face all year.

My sister is also a UMD graduate. I always look forward to playing the Bulldogs.

Here are the lines for the Gophers:
Brent Gates Jr. - Justin Kloos - Hudson Fasching
Leon Bristedt - Tommy Novak - Connor Reilly
Taylor Cammarata - Tyler Sheehy - Vinni Lettieri
AJ Michaelson - Darian Romanko - Jack Ramsey

Nick Seeler - Ryan Collins
Jake Bischoff - Jack Glover
Steve Johnson - Michael Brodzinski

I haven't heard who is starting in net.

Lines for the Bulldogs:
Adam Johnson - Dominic Toninato - Alex Iafallo
Austin Farley - Tony Cameranesi - Karson Kuhlman
Kyle Osterberg - Jared Thomas - Austyn Young
Charlie Sampair - Cal Decowski - Billy Exell

Neal Pionk - Andy Welinski
Nick McCormack - Willie Raskob
Willie Corrin - Dan Molenaar

I'm guessing Kasimir Kaskisuo will start in net.

This lineup scares me. It feels like Farley and Cameranesi have been around forever and then you have guys like Toninato who always seem to give us trouble. Freshman D Neal Pionk is a kid I liked in high school at Hermantown. He'll be one to watch in the next couple years.

4 periods in, and no goals so far this season. Let's put the puck in between the pipes!!

It seems we are going to celebrate goals as wins this season. The Gophers generally looked slow and weak on the puck. On the drive home, I heard Lucia talk about some lineup changes tomorrow in Duluth. On the plus side, Gates got his first goal and Schierhorn was reasonably solid.

Top Bottom